Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Itinerary for 14 days in France: Paris and...Normandy or Provence?

Itinerary for 14 days in France: Paris and...Normandy or Provence?

Mar 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary for 14 days in France: Paris and...Normandy or Provence?

My husband and I are heading over to France for 14 days. This is our first trip to France. We will be arriving in Paris May 1st and leaving Paris May 14th. I have already booked May 1st - 7th in Paris, but want to check out another area. I love the idea of Normandy and Provence, but realize it would be insane to do both in the remaining 6 nights. 4 nights in Provence and 2 nights in Normandy would be crazy? What are your thoughts? Normandy or Provence? I think it would be more practical to leave Provence for another vacation, but the sun and roman ruins are calling us and I have no idea when we'll be back. Normany appeals to us because of the beautiful countryside, chateaus, quaint villages, and Monet's house in Giverny (which I've wanted to see for about 15 years!). I would really appreciate any feedback on this petite journey! Merci!
Mar 7th, 2011, 01:28 AM

Kat -

One or the other, not both. As for practicality, it doesn't get much easier than the TGV from the center of Paris to Provence. Takes about 3 hours. If you can book plane tickets open jaw coming back from Marseille or Nice, all the better. If not, take the TGV back directly to CDG, which is also easy.

You could think about spending one of your Paris days on a trip out to Giverny... best of both worlds ?

-Kevin
Mar 7th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Agree with the previous response. Spend the 6 days in Provence and go to Giverny as a day trip from Paris - it is very easy. Giverny is beautiful in May as is Provence. Sounds like a perfect trip to me and, in fact, we did the exact same thing about 8 years ago and couldn't have been happier with the result.
Mar 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM

I "three" it--easy to get from Paris to Provence, and then return to CDG for departure. Easy to rent the car in Avignon and tour.
Mar 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM

Fourth vote for Provence. Not as many quaint villages in Normandy as in Provence (many got wiped out in WWII). Not that many Chateaux in either Provence or Normandy, compared to other regions in France (Loire, Burgundy, Auvergne, Dordogne, Brittany).

Note that May 1 is a huge holiday in France - not many things will be open.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread