Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Feedback (Honeymoon in Venice & Amalfi Coast) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-feedback-honeymoon-in-venice-and-amalfi-coast-987455/)

al998 Aug 3rd, 2013 02:48 PM

Itinerary Feedback (Honeymoon in Venice & Amalfi Coast)

Hello,

We are a couple in our late 20’s planning for our honeymoon (Venice & Amalfi Coas) in late September. We know we are late.

We have between 12 and 14 nights. We like culture while relaxing and taking our time when we travel.

We plan to spend 4-5 nights in Venice, 2-3 in a quiet place in Amalfi Coast (just to relax in the hotel), and then 5-6 in a center location like Positano to explore the region.
Does it make sense? Should we spend 4 or 5 nights in Venice?

Because we don’t travel light (not me!), we plan to take the train from Venice to Naples. From there, would you rent a car or take other means of transportation?

Would Capri be a good choice for the second leg of our trip?

Pompeii seems a must. What about places like Ischia, Paestum and Naples (is it safe?) from Amalfi Coast?

And should we go with a hotel or a B&B? We went with B&B’s in Provence and liked it a lot.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Al

bobthenavigator Aug 3rd, 2013 03:29 PM

I would spend 4 nites in Venice and then train to Naples.

You need to study the geography of that region---Ischia and Paestum are not easy to access, and Pompeii is easiest from Naples or Sorrento. I think I would pick Sorrento as my interim destination and day trip to Pompeii and even Capri from there. Then, hire a driver for transfer to Positano. Hopefully, you can fly home from Naples. Forget the car---too much hassle.

Here are some pics that may help you to get excited:

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481

al998 Aug 4th, 2013 05:39 AM

Thanks a lot for your help bobthenavigator.

So we won't rent a car there. Yes, we will fly home from Naples.

I realize that Ischia is way too far as a day-trip. Would it make sense as a 2-3 night stay to relax on the beach? Despite no good beaches, we thought Capri has that romantic feel we were looking for.

Peastum is out. What about Naples? Is it worth a day-trip?
Is Pompeii or Naples too far to do as a day-trip from Positano?

Thanks in advance.

nytraveler Aug 4th, 2013 06:11 AM

Doing a day trip from Positano is time-consuming since you have to take the bus (or a taxi) along the coast road - where there can be a lot of traffic, even in Sept. - then the local train to Pompeii or Naples.

bobthenavigator Aug 4th, 2013 06:15 AM

Yes, too far from Positano.
Sorrento---right or wrong--is the easiest base to day trip to Pompeii or Naples.

This may help:

NAVIGATING on the AMALFI COAST
HOW TO GET THERE: You have to want to—it may not be easy. The best option is to land in Naples, but that is not always feasible. Most travelers access it from Rome by train to Naples—a trip of less than two hours. Once in Naples, you have a choice. The local commuter train, Circumversuviana, leaves from the same train station and takes about an hour to SORRENTO, with a possible stop at “ Pompeii Scavi” to see the famed ruins. However, to access any of the coastal towns you must then take a SITA bus or a taxi.

The best option is to hire a private driver to meet you at the Naples station or airport and take you directly to your hotel. Expect to pay about 100E.
www.cuomonet.it www.tourofitaly.com www.francescomarrapese.com
www.angelodriver.com

WHERE TO LOCATE & WHAT TO SEE: Ah, what not to see? This is the most stunning scenery in all of Italy---be sure to pack the camera. Your daily activities will be somewhat determined by your location. SORRENTO is really on the Bay of Naples and not the Amalfi Coast [AC], but is the most convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and the Isle of Capri. The town is larger & relatively flat. In contrast, POSITANO is the most spectacular village on the AC but is almost vertical and a real challenge for your legs.
Hotel choices in Positano should be evaluated by their location in town relative to the beach or position on the hill above the beach. AMALFI & RAVELLO are other popular destinations but are further down the coast.

NOTE: Any of the drivers above can be hired for day trip excursions but should be booked well in advance. Expect to pay about 35E/hour.

Here are my top five activities for this fabulous coast:
• Seeing the coast from the water---the best option. Hire a boat and pray for good weather—here is one www.gennaroesalvatore.it

• Day trip to Capri by hydrofoil from Sorrento or Positano—in season

• Day trip to Ravello by local bus or driver. This lovely village is high above the coast with great views---see Villa Cimbrone.

• Day trip to Pompeii. Plan on spending 4 hours to see it well. You can take the commuter train from Sorrento or hire a driver.

• Shopping for ceramics and sipping LIMONCELLO. The latter is not to be missed---I still have it almost daily at home after dinner.

WHERE TO EAT: I hope you like seafood. Here are some of my favorites:
* In Positano: Da Vincenzo Buca di Bacco Da Constantino

* In Ravello: Cumpa Cosimo Villa Maria

* In Sorrento: Trattoria Da Emilia L’Antica Trattoria

al998 Aug 4th, 2013 08:23 AM

Thank you so much!

It's a lot more clear I'm down to 3 options (we must devide by tomorrow). Which one would you choose? We can stay between 7 and 10 nights in our second leg of our trip.

1 - Naples (2 nights) to visit Naples & Pompeii, Capri (2-3 nights) to relax, Positano (4-5 nights).

2 - Capri (2-3 nights), Sorrento (5-7 nights).

3 - Sorrento (7-9 nights)

Is moving between hubs very time-consuming in the region?

Thank you!

bobthenavigator Aug 4th, 2013 08:48 AM

I would do:
Sorrento--3 nites [day trip to Pompeii/ Naples via local commuter train]
Capri---2
Positano--4 [ by ferrry from Capri--use local porter at dock]

I would book a driver for the transfers to/from Naples.

You could sub Naples for the first 3 days and day trip from there, but you have to get to the train station each day. That is easy in Sorrento.

ekc Aug 4th, 2013 01:58 PM

If it is your first time to the region, I would do Sorrento 2 nights (daytrip to Pompeii), Capri 2 nights and Positano 5 nights. I put more time in Positano, because it is a gorgeous romantic town and that will give you time to do daytrips along the Amalfi Coast - Amalfi, Ravello, Vietri Sul Mare. But alot will depend on where you can find hotel rooms at this late date.

al998 Aug 4th, 2013 02:51 PM

Thanks a lot for your help!

I will see what I can find. I'm a bit surprised that you are all suggesting Sorrento instead of Naples as a base to visit Naples and Pompeii and we will try to do that.

ekc Aug 4th, 2013 04:02 PM

The reason I suggested Sorrento instead of Naples is that Naples can be overwhelming for first-time visitors, and it definitely is not relaxing in any way.

I know you said you don't pack light, but you really should try. There are lots of threads on the subject with very good tips. Having a large suitcase is a bear to haul on and off trains, down cobblestone streets, on and off ferries, etc. The weather will still be warm in September, which will make it easier to pack light.

ekscrunchy Aug 6th, 2013 03:47 AM

If you want to spend a few nights on Ischia (you can get good prices on hotels during that period), I will recommend a few hotels that are on or have access to beaches. I would not go for less than two nights, though. It is a great island, with many hot springs (many hotels have thermally heated swimming pools) and lots to see and do. Nice beaches, too.

What kind of hotel budget do you have?

adelheid Aug 6th, 2013 11:42 AM

bookmarking...... :)

travelmamana Aug 7th, 2013 04:40 AM

Tagging.

Diane60030 Aug 7th, 2013 08:51 AM

You are spending a lot of time checking in and out of hotels and transferring between places. You really aren't leaving yourself too much time to actually enjoy the places you are going. If you haven't booked I'd flip it around a bit. I'd do 4 nights Positano, take the bus or driver to Sorrento and spend the rest of your time there. It will make the transfer to the airport much easier. You can also day trip out to Capri after you've done the Amalfi coast. If you really have as much luggage as you say, you'll have even more after your shopping and the less you take on a SITA buss the better...

al998 Aug 10th, 2013 12:35 PM

Thanks a lot for your advice, it helped a lot.

I promised myself that I will book ahead in the future! It's the first time that I have so much trouble finding accommodations!

This being said, the flight is booked for 14 nights (10 in the Naples/Amalfi Coast Region).

We planned 4 nights Venice, 2 Capri, 3 Sorrento, 5 in the Amalfi Coast. They're all booked but I can still change them.

We will arrive early in Venice & will leave by the first train to Naples (11 a.m there). Is it fair to say that we would arrive around 1 p.m a Capri?

I know that Positano/Amalfi are the preferred bases to explore the area but there's nothing that make sense in Positano (even if I play with the dates). There's a few in Amalfi, Praiano (the least appealing), Furore or Maiori that are still available, Maiori the most interesting. Is Maoiri a good place to explore Amalfi Coast by bus? I read that it's a family destination but will it still be the case in September?

Our return flight will depart from Naples at 1 p.m a Tuesday. Would it be complicated with a private driver?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks in advance,

al998 Aug 16th, 2013 11:34 AM

Anybody on Maiori as a base to explore Amalfi Coast?

jelopez33 Aug 16th, 2013 05:09 PM

IMO, Amalfi is a better base than Maiori, as Amalfi is the base for many SITA buses, going as far as Positano-Sorrento, or Minori, Maiori, Vetri, Salerno.
Plus, From the waterfront of Amalfi, also depert the buses going to Ravello, normal SITA buses and the Tourist open top bus.

Enjoy all the trip and your new life!

tuscanlifeedit Aug 16th, 2013 05:37 PM

Another thing in favor of Amalfi is the easy boat access to most other towns in the area. You may not enjoy the SITA bus. I prefer the boats.