Itinerary, Edinburgh to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions/suggestions on the following for this summer:<BR>Friday July 4: Arrive in London jetlagged from Los Angeles, immed. fly to Edinburgh, collapse.<BR>Sat. July 5: See Edinburgh on foot.<BR>Sun. July 6: Get car, drive south thru Borders, see Melrose, Jedburgh, Dryburgh, overnight either at Bamburgh (looks like fun) or Chillingham Castle (supposedly has ghosts).<BR>Mon. July 7: Head east to west along Hadrian's wall, to Lake District.<BR>Mon., Tues., Wed. nights in Lake District - thinking of Grasmere or Ambleside? Red Lion Grasmere, Thistle Grasmere or Salutation Ambleside? Plan to hike and pony trek.<BR>Thurs. July 10: Head for York, see Fountains Abbey, see York in afternoon, overnight at Blue Bridge hotel.<BR>Fri. July 11: Head to Warwick, see castle, overnight.<BR>Sat. July 12: poke about Cotswolds, see Blenheim.<BR>Sat &amp; Sun. nights: stay walking distanceDonington Park Raceway for Sunday motorcycle race (Moto GP). We hear parking &amp; traffic are horrible.<BR>Mon. July 14: Head for Windsor, see castle, drop car off (hopefully here rather than Heathrow - is that an easy bus or train ride?), take train to London for a week, without car. We know what we want to do in London, pretty much.<BR>We have a teenager (17 year old girl) and don't want to kill ourselves driving, nor bore her to death with one more manor house.<BR>Lodging/restaurant/pub suggestions would be welcome, we're trying to go somewhat budget, $100-$150/night U.S. on average for hotels or B&amp;Bs. Prefer midsize B&amp;Bs or small inns.<BR>We are runners - any good trail run suggestions?<BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Some immediate observations:<BR>1. York to Warwick is not an easy journey and will take a fair while across country. Either set off very early or adjust this part of the itinerary.<BR>2. You will need to book accommodation very early ie now, to be within walking distance or even near Donnington Park on a race weekend<BR>3. Stay in pubs or small hotels rather than big chain hotels like the Thistle.<BR>4. You are hitting London just as Brit schools start their summer vacation - it will be very busy!!<BR>Otherwise I think the early part of your itinerary is excellent - you and/or your daughter might like more than a day in Edinburgh, but your other locations seem well chosen.<BR>I'm sure you'll get many more helpful suggestions.<BR>Enjoy!!<BR>Ian
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Wateredge in Ambleside (http://www.wateredgehotel.co.uk/index.htm) and Cedar Manor just outside of Windemere are my favorites in the area. They are both much nicer than the B&amp;B style lodgings in the area and far more personal and enjoyable than the Thistle Grasmere or the Salutation in Ambleside.<BR><BR>I also like the Sun (though a couple of the rooms are small) in Coniston. The walk to Coniston Old Man is fabulous.<BR><BR>Yep . . . could be very crowded in the Lake District, especially on weekends. The traffic will be bumper to bumper between Windermere and Keswick.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM

I usually don't like these type of rush, rush itineraries - but you have worked it out pretty well. The only problem i see is the Donnington Park bit. Traffic/crowds is an understatement so book something ASAP.<BR><BR>You will actually have more time for Edinvurgh than you think. Assuming you arrive LHR early AM you can easily be in central Edinburgh before mid morning. If your room is not ready leave your bags at the B&amp;B and wander around. The fresh air will do wonders for your jet lag. And the days are so long you will have daylight until after 10:30PM.<BR><BR>I would make one tiny suggestion. Instead of 3 nights in the Lakes (they are lovely) I would stay one night in the Borders - Kelso or Jedburgh are good choices. That would give you more time to see the Border Abbbeys. <BR><BR>Then the next day drive through Bamburgh and along Hadrians Wall and stay the night near Hexham or Haltwhistle. This would give you plenty of time to explore parts of the Wall. <BR><BR>Then it is an easy drive into the lakes so you would have almost as much time for them as you would staying the 3 nights.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 PM

In Spetember, we left Edinburgh in the morning, saw Melrose and Jedburgh abbies (very worthwhile, spent about 1 hour at each), and then went into the Borders and saw Chesters and Housesteads (both Forts along Hadrians wall). It was a busy day, but not exhausting. We also satyed at a wonderful B&amp;B, Hornby Hall, and the house was built in 1530, and part of the house remains the same (including the dining room and a couple of the guest rooms.) (You should be able to look them up on Google, they have a website.) Oh! And while in Edinburgh, don't miss Valvona and Crolla, a great Italian deli- stop in the morning and pick up what you need for a picnic lunch in Princes Street Gardens. Have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Just to add my four-penny worth! I can't believe you're going all the way to Edinburgh and then only spending one day there. I'd cut something out of your time in the north of England (either the Borders, the Lake District or Northumberland). Also the drive from York to Warwick will take you between 3-4 hours so you're not going to get much time in Warwick itself.<BR>Welcome to England- hope the weather is kind.