Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary/drive or take the train? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-drive-or-take-the-train-209481/)

Anna Nov 22nd, 2001 04:38 AM

Itinerary/drive or take the train?

We're planning a trip to Italy in July 2002- this is the plan: Fly into Milan (Linate) for 1 night only (as we want to get away from big cities), next stop Cinque Terre for 3 nights; Tuscany (particulary the Chianti Region) for 1 week and 1 week at my parents' just south of Rome. My question is: should we take a train from Milan to CT? Take a train from CT to say, Lucca or another city on the way to Chianti, to pick up a rental car for the week, and finally head for Rome by train? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Patrick Nov 22nd, 2001 05:17 AM

I think you're really going to want a car for most of this trip, so I'd simply do one for the whole thing, just getting rid of it before going to Rome.

Keith Nov 22nd, 2001 06:51 AM

Anna, I agree with Richard. We just got back last week and we rented a car. It was great! Especially in Tuscana region, it is absolutely beautiful, and all the hill top fortress walled cities to choose from to stay overnight. All are interesting. The city Volterra is famous for their alebastor mining and craftmanship. You wouldn't believe the beautiful things they make out of this rock. Dump the car in Rome. I will warn you though, driving in Italy is totally different, great fun for the driver, white knuckles for the passenger. As I was told by someone in Italy, they have traffic laws but they are looked upon as 'suggestions'. Anything goes, it's like playing bumber cars except your not allowed to touch. I really loved it! And you know what, I say more accidents during my first day back than I did in two weeks in Italy. They way they drive they are focused on thier driving, not like us. Enjoy!

Keith Nov 22nd, 2001 06:53 AM

Anna, I agree with Patrick. We just got back last week and we rented a car. It was great! Especially in Tuscana region, it is absolutely beautiful, and all the hill top fortress walled cities to choose from to stay overnight. All are interesting. The city Volterra is famous for their alebastor mining and craftmanship. You wouldn't believe the beautiful things they make out of this rock. Dump the car in Rome. I will warn you though, driving in Italy is totally different, great fun for the driver, white knuckles for the passenger. As I was told by someone in Italy, they have traffic laws but they are looked upon as 'suggestions'. Anything goes, it's like playing bumber cars except your not allowed to touch. I really loved it! And you know what, I say more accidents during my first day back than I did in two weeks in Italy. They way they drive they are focused on thier driving, not like us. Enjoy!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Nov 22nd, 2001 07:45 AM

Anna, I concur--you will see more with the car--especially in Tuscany. You can dump the car in Orvieto or Chiusi and not have to drive into Rome. Good luck.

Steve James Nov 22nd, 2001 09:06 AM

Hello Anna,<BR><BR>As everyone has said, you definitely want a car for your week in Tuscany. But I don't think you need one for your stay in the Cinque Terre, - as most places are best reached by boat or train. So I would, in fact, take the train from Milan to CT as you suggest, then pick up your car at Lucca or, say, La Spezia, or Pisa.<BR><BR>Bob's idea is a good one to drop it off at Orvieto or Chiusi, - you can take a train to Rome from there. (A car's a liability in Rome...)<BR><BR>Steve

Jack Nov 22nd, 2001 09:50 AM

Hi,<BR> We're just back from two weeks - - flew to Milan - took train to CT (go first class) - absolutely do not need car in CT. We stayed in Santa Margherita - took bus (easy) to Pottofino - the roads are so narrow along the coast that the busses need to stop at the sharpest curves in order to let traffic pass so it's tough driving for a tourist. We walked the trails of CT and had a really great time.

Betsy Nov 22nd, 2001 06:50 PM

Hey J and C<BR><BR>Glad you two enjoyed Santa Margherita and Cinque Terre. Had the tourist crowds thinned out a bit by the time you got to the area? We loved the train ride over the Brenner Pass into Germany. Seems like it all happened a long time ago!<BR><BR>Your Venice dining companions