Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Critique: Rome, Venice, Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-critique-rome-venice-paris-704368/)

mindibz May 11th, 2007 11:36 AM

Itinerary Critique: Rome, Venice, Paris

The plan is 3 evenings and 3 sightseeing days in each city (Venice will have 3 evenings and 2 sightseeing days). Would love to have more time, but vacation days are what they are, and this is last big trip before we start a family so...here's the details:

Day 1 (Fri.):7:15am Arrive Rome-FCO from US.
Day 2 (Sat.):Rome.
Day 3 (Sun.):Rome.
Day 4 (Mon.):Rome in a.m. Train at 2:20pm to Venice. Arrive Venice 6:48pm.
Day 5 (Tues.):Venice.
Day 6 (Wed.):Venice.
Day 7 (Thurs.):7:15am flight from Venice to Paris (MyAir--VCE to ORY). Arrive Paris 9:40am.
Day 8 (Fri.):Paris.
Day 9 (Sat.):Paris.
Day 10 (Sun.):Leave Paris-CDG 10:40am for US.

Questions:
1. Would it be best to do the Vatican on Friday when we arrive so as to avoid weekend crowds?
2. If we do Versailles on Saturday, will it truly take all day, or can we see anything late that afternoon? I'm not sure how long this experience takes.
3. Are VCE and ORY airports cumbersome to reach from Venice and Paris, respectively?

Thanks a million!

travelhorizons May 11th, 2007 01:13 PM

This looks like a do-able itinerary. Since your time is limited in each city, I would try to reserve a Vatican Museum tour. That should save you several hours of waiting in line...

ORY is an easy connection to Paris by public transportation (and closer in than CDG).

Lexma90 May 11th, 2007 01:46 PM

Flying into Venice is a wonderful experience; not much better than life than waterbus or watertaxi from the airport into the city. I've also heard (on Fodor's) that it's a hassle to get to the Venice airport for early-morning departures. If you were able to fly into Venice, then go to Rome, then fly to Paris, it might be easier. Depending on the fares, of course.

ira May 11th, 2007 02:00 PM

Hi M,

>The plan is 3 evenings and 3 sightseeing days in each city...

Too much traveling and too little time in each city.

I would split your time between Venice and Paris (see www.myair.com) or Venice and Florence, or Venice and Rome.

My own preference would be to spend all of the time in Paris with 2 daytripa.

((I))

mindibz May 12th, 2007 06:39 AM

Can someone respond to these questions? Thanks so much!

Questions:
1. Would it be best to do the Vatican on Friday when we arrive so as to avoid weekend crowds?
2. If we do Versailles on Saturday, will it truly take all day, or can we see anything late that afternoon? I'm not sure how long this experience takes.
3. Are VCE and ORY airports cumbersome to reach from Venice and Paris, respectively?

Mimar May 12th, 2007 07:27 AM

Both Venice to VCE and OLY to Paris are quite easy. For Venice, you can take a water taxi (expensive), the Alilaguna boat, or the bus from near the train station. Here's the URL for the airport transportation:http://www.veniceairport.it/page/ser...rasporti/treno

At Orly the options are taxi, RER (like the subway) or bus. See: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/e...tsEnCommun.htm

Mimar May 12th, 2007 07:28 AM

And I gather you don't suffer from jetlag. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time doing justice to Rome.

Michel_Paris May 12th, 2007 08:51 AM

You have 2 1/2 days in Paris, why are you going to Versailles? Unless Versailles is a life-long dream, I'd skip it. You won't even be able to scratch the surface of Paris in the time you have.

tod May 12th, 2007 08:56 AM

I couldn't handle that much travelling in such a short time but then maybe you thrive on being on the move constantly!

IF I only had 10 days it would either be only Paris, or only Rome & Venice.

janisj May 12th, 2007 09:03 AM

2+ days in Rome (yes you are scheduling 3 days - but the jet lag and acclimating will just about eat up day 1), 2 days in Venice, 3 days Paris -- that is pretty darned rushed.

You won't see much of Paris, especially if you try to squeeze in Versailles too.

mindibz May 12th, 2007 09:13 AM

Realizing there are lots of differences of opinions on spending more time in each city, etc. (which we would love to do), our schedule is what it is as far as days/nights in each place. Can anyone answer:

Thanks!

jill_h May 12th, 2007 06:36 PM

Crowds are crowds at the Vatican - it's weekend all week. I would avoid friday since you would just be arriving ( assuming jetlag!) Wait until Saturday but go as early as possible when it is cooler. The WOW factor will be greater when you've had some rest.

Versailles - if you MUST see it, then go. If not, then enjoy Paris at a more leisurely pace. Versailles will still be there when you have another opportunity to visit Paris - and you will be able to return some day!

BowenLinda May 12th, 2007 07:52 PM

Just got back from Paris where I visited Versailles for the first time.

My guidebooks said to allocate a half day for Versailles, and I suppose that could be done but you would have to ignore great chunks of it. I viewed the Palace, immediate gardens outside, the Petit Trianon (sp?), the Grand Trianon and had lunch near the Grand Canal. Took the "train" from the Palace to the other buildings, and to view a very small portion of the gardens. That took from about 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.

I think your itinerary is rushed but doable for a first time overview of the three cities. I agree with others, though, that I wouldn't include Versailles in this itineray but would enjoy Paris for your 2 1/2 days.

kybourbon May 12th, 2007 09:08 PM

What do you mean by "do the Vatican"? Are you talking about St. Peter's or the museum or both? The museum closes earlier on most Saturdays and is closed on Sunday. Last entrance is 1:30 on
and closes at 2:45 on Saturday.

suze May 13th, 2007 08:53 AM

Yes, Versailles will truly take all day (or most of it).

ira May 13th, 2007 09:07 AM

Hi M,

Versailles is pretty much a full day visit, especially if the fountains are on.

((I))

mindibz May 14th, 2007 05:40 AM

Thanks so much!