Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Critique- Barcelona, Italy, Greece

Mar 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

My friend and I are spending 2.5 weeks in Europe in May. We are young backpackers and love the fast paced traveling. We want to hit as much as we can as long as it's doable. We have a finalized itinerary and would like reccommendations and or suggestions. ANY information would be helpful in regards to how to get from point to point or places to stay, etc. Our number one question would be Is the Amalfi Coast worth the extra traveling? If we cut it out we could have more time in Tuscany and or Florence/Venice or even add an extra day to Cinque Terre. Here is the itinerary

Friday May 10 Fly to Barcelona

Saturday May 11 Barcelona: Arrive in Barcelona AM and site see in city all day

Sunday May 12 Barcelona: Site See in city

Monday May 13 Barcelona: Coastal town in AM/Barcelona site see PM or Vice Verse

Tuesday May 14 Venice: Fly to Venice, Site see in Venice

Wednesday May 15 Cinque Terre: Train to Cinque Terre

Thursday May 16 Cinque Terre: Hike 5 cities/explore/relax

Friday May 17 Florence: Train to Florence, Site see in Florence

Saturday May 18 Tuscany: Travel through Tuscany on way to Sorrento (Orvieto, Siena, Cortona, Montepulciano, Civita, Assissi are options). Spend night in city we select.

Sunday May 19 Sorrento: Pompeii in AM, Hike Mt Vesuvius, End in Sorrento

Monday May 20 Sorrento: Amalfi Coast, Positano, and end in Rome

Tues May 21 Rome: Full day of hitting it hard and seeing sites in Rome

Wednesday May 22 Mykonos: Fly to Mykonos and spend night

Thursday May 23 Mykonos: Spend day relaxing/exploring

Friday May 24 Santorini: Hydrofoil to Santorini

Saturday May 25 Santorini: Spend day relaxing and exploring Santorini

Sunday May 26 Athens: Hydrofoil to Athens and site see with remaining time.

Monday May 27 Fly Home
Mar 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM

g\Glad to see the use of "site".. Many people do not seem to know the usage!!!
Mar 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM

To be pedantic, there are no hydrofoils operating in the Cyclades, but there are catamarans. More to the point, last year on the corresponding Sunday the two catamarans sailing from Santorini both arrived at Piraeus around 10 pm, so that wouldn't give you any time for sightseeing or seeing the sites. Blue Star Paros, a conventional ferry, is scheduled to depart Santorini on 26 May at 0700, arriving Piraeus at 1500.
Mar 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
ekc

As much as I love the AC, on this marathon trip I would skip it and add both days to Rome, or one day to Rome and one day to Venice.
Mar 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Please consider trimming a few days to linger a bit longer in other areas. As it is now you have roughly half a day in Venice and a little more than one day in Rome. If your goal is "tag you're it" then by all means have at it. Have you ever planned a trip of this scale before? I ask because most of your time will be spent racing to your next destination and this kind of travel can catch up with you in the form of fatigue/exhaustion. You're also going to be shelling out more money for transportation costs.

-My suggestion is to beef up Barcelona to 4 days, Venice to 3, Florence to 3, Rome to 4, and save Greece for another time.
-You can check out some of the other places you mentioned in between.
-Use Rome as a base to explore some nearby areas in Italy.

It sounds like a good time but I think it's too aggressive even for my tastes. (I did 5 European capitals in 16 days...paid the price towards the end of the trip)
Mar 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Heimdall: I apologize, it was a travel agent who told us that the hydrofoils were operating? So I assume the Blue Star Paros will be the best and fastest way to get back to Athens for our flight home?

tailsock: I appreciate your advice. Yes we have planned a trip of this scale before and on those previous trips people have told us that we were trying to fit in too much and when it came to the actual trip it was perfect. Yes it's exhausting but we like that pace and that kid of traveling. HOWEVER, I do want to be realistic and I trust your recommendations. Our flights are actually already booked from Barcelona to Venice, Rome to Mykonos, etc so the dates listed above are sealed. Since that is the case would you just recommend cutting out Amalfi Coast as ekc did and just add a day to Rome and a day to Venice?
Mar 26th, 2013, 01:58 PM

No need to apologise — lots of people use the term hydrofoil for any fast ferry, but they are different from catamarans — hydrofoils are used in sheltered coastal waters, not in the Cyclades where seas are rougher.

As it stands the 0700 Blue Star is the only ferry that will get you back to Athens the day before your flight and allow a few hours for sightseeing. It's a shame you don't have more time for Athens. You might also consider an early morning flight with Olympic Air or Aegean Airlines. It will cost you more, but sometimes you can get a saver fare on the early morning flights, and it will give you nearly the whole day in Athens.
Mar 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Yes, you should cut out the Amalfi coast and add the days to Rome (it would be nice to add days to Florence and Venice too.). It will take a full day of travel to get to the AC, and I also don't know how much of Tuscany you'd really be able to explore on the way anyway. If you planned on arriving in Naples from Tuscany the morning of the 19th, there is no way you could then also get to Pompeii that morning. So I would strongly suggest cutting it, especially because you will really want more time in other cities and you'll get beach time in Greece. Happy travels!
Apr 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Here is a more finalized itinerary with travel times, etc. What do you think? Also any advice on best way to get from Venice to CT? Would it be better to do Venice>Florence>CT>Rome or stick with the plan we have right now?

Friday May 10 Fly to Barcelona – in transit
Saturday May 11 Barcelona: Arrive in Barcelona AM and site see in city all day
Sunday May 12 Barcelona: Day trip to Monsterrat
Monday May 13 Barcelona: Coastal town in AM/Barcelona site see PM or Vice Verse
Tuesday May 14 Venice: Fly to Venice, Site see in Venice
Wednesday May 15 Venice: Site see in Venice, Trip to Lagoon Islands
Thursday May 16 Cinque Terre: Train to Cinque Terre (6 hrs)
Friday May 17 Cinque Terre: Hike 5 cities/explore/relax
Saturday May 18 Florence: Train to Florence (5hrs), Site see in Florence
Sunday May 19 Tuscany: Day trip to Tuscany town, Florence PM
Monday May 20 Rome: Start early & travel to Rome, Site see
Tues May 21 Rome: Full day of hitting it hard- Pompeii AM and seeing sites in Rome PM
Wednesday May 22 Fly to Mykonos (Arrive PM)
Thursday May 23 Mykonos: Spend day in Mykonos
Friday May 24 Ferry to Santorini
Saturday May 25 Santorini: Explore & relax
Sunday May 26 Athens: Take 0700 Blue Star Ferry, arrive PM and site see till dark
Monday May 27 Fly Home
Apr 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM

FWIW, on our first visit to Pompeii, we spent an entire day there and didn't see everything.

I have to ask the question, with all of those long days and short stays, when will you do laundry?