Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Assistance Needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-assistance-needed-184866/)

PJ Sep 3rd, 2001 07:40 PM

Itinerary Assistance Needed!

We(2 couples) are planning 19 days(16 full days) in Switz,Italy,Austria,Bavaria mid June 2002. We fly in to Zurich and plan to travel immediately to the Bernese Oberland-perhaps Murren then on to Zermatt. Would 3 or 4 full days in the area be best? Sightseeing suggestions? We've been to Lucerne,Lugano,Geneva. We thought we would spend 2 nights in Zermatt..Is it worth it or are there other better areas? How is Murten? Would train travel in area be ok rather then car? From Zermatt, we plan some time in Tuscany. Any suggestions for places to visit-We have seen San G, Siena,Volterra, Lucca. We may stay in farm-suggestions? How is train travel from Zermatt..perhaps to Florence where we will pick up car. After 4 nights here, we will travel to Venice for a couple of nights and then on to Berchtgaden,Salzburg, perhaps Hallstatt, Munich...Thought we could do day trips in the area. Which location would be best for that..How are train connections? We fly out of Zurich-so thought we would spend a night in Garmisch then train to Zurich with stop in Innsbruck. Does this sould like TOO much? We are open for suggestions. Thanks! <BR>PJ

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Sep 4th, 2001 07:06 AM

Wow PJ, These are all my favorite regions in the world but you are shotgunning too many variables here. I would train in CH and get your car in Lugano to avoid Italy prices. have you done Stresa or Bellagio? What about the Ligurian coast before Tuscany? I am doing a similar trip this Oct. Let me know how much help you may need.

Ed Sep 4th, 2001 07:21 AM

All great areas. For me, way too much territory in too little time. Too much packing and unpacking. Too much time in car or train. <BR> <BR>Start early to add up the amount of time you'll be spending in logistics (travel, packing, checking in, etc.) vs. how much time you spend enjoying the trip. If you find that acceptable, keep on trucking and God Bless. <BR> <BR>If you find the overhead-to-enjoyment ratio is a bit too high, then look at the geography and consider dropping some points at the extremes. <BR> <BR>You should, also, consider working the itinerary backwards. With a mid-June plan, I'd try to end up in the north, starting out in the south. It's not unusual to find snow still flying in early/mid June in the Berner Oberland, also on some roads you might want to take traveling southward. <BR> <BR>twenj

bob Sep 4th, 2001 08:33 AM

Hi PJ, <BR>There is a deutsche girl who has lived and worked for travel agency in Hamburg, Florence and Cinque Terre. She is a very good operator. I'm sure she can help you as soon as possible. <BR>Her a-mail is [email protected]

anon Oct 27th, 2001 04:57 PM

for Ed