Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary & accomodation in South Ireland - Please help

Aug 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Having read many of the threads I have planned the following trip. Our main interest is heritage and we will use a car for our transport. Could I have your comments regarding the sights visited or missed as well as recommendations for accomodation(not very pricey). We are open in changing hotels if that will facilitate our visits.

many thanks in advance

Day 1
Arrival in Dublin(8am) from London
visit Cliffs of Moher
Accomodation: Ennis

Day 2-4
Bunratty Castle
Tour of the Dingle Peninsula
Muckross
Kenmare
Kinsale
accomodation: Killarney

Day 5 & 6
Cashel
Cahir
New Ross
Cobh The Queenstown Story
Fota Island - Animals
Accomodation: Kilkerny

Day 7
departure Dublin
Aug 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM

What no Blarney?

I found Cork to be a most interesting if rather grim looking town - the singing pubs at night were loads of fun. Called Ireland's Culture Capital by some.

the Dingle will require a whole day just to go around - slow going roads. In Dingle check out Fungi the Friendly Dolphin - local fishermen have made a cottage industry taking visitors out in the bay to convort with him (or her?) since she/he swam into the bay years and years ago now. Guess she's still there.

We found roads along the West Coast very slow going
Aug 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM

I would recommend a night in Doolin with the several pubs where the traditional Irish musicians play.
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Is Killarney the best place to set up a base to visit Dingle & part of RoK? Any B&B recommendations?
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM

What month are you going? Crucial info.

RE: Muckross, if press by time, I would favor the farm visit instead of the Muckross House, unless bad weather day. The farm is far more interesting. Also, there are old Franciscan Abbey ruins you can walk to from Muckross House, a little over 1 km, a nice walk to do on a nice day.

Days 2-4 needs some refining. That is quite a bit of territory with LOADS of things to do. Seems to be you will be doing some backtracking/criss-cross; plan this one carefully. Add a high extra % time for unavoidable delays; quite common for IRE roads.

RE: Blarney-- co-travelers took me kicking & screaming to Blarney. Guess what? I LOVED IT. There were no lines (lucked out!) and I loved the grounds, the whole camaraderie and laughs and just silly fun. Cork is another story; could not get out of Cork fast enough....
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:07 AM

alexous - in Killarney we stayed in a country home instead of a B&B but I would definitly recommend Friar's Glen. http://www.friarsglen.ie/ It may be a little more expensive then some other places but it was a perfect location for us.

The location is within the Killarney National Park which is basically a short car trip or walking trip to the Muckross Areas. I also recommend Molly Darcy’s for a bite.

Just a bit of heads up, Friar's Glen is about a ten minute drive to the city center of Killarney.

Happy Planning!
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:33 AM

On Day 1 I might stay in Doolin instead of Ennis - we stayed in both for our trip to Ireland and found Doolin to be very unique. We stayed at the Roadford which was absolutely lovely (http://www.roadfordrestaurant.com/) and had the best breakfast of the trip.

We were in Ireland for 5 nights and did 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Doolin and 2 nights Ennis. In Ennis we stayed at the Glenomra which was really like a small hotel. It was fine but not spectacular - very affordable though.

I don't know how Killarney works with your schedule but I do think you have a lot going on. We spent an entire day doing the Slea Head drive and thought it was perfect. Dingle was an adorable town (we stayed at the Milestone Dingle which was lovely) and a great place to wander around for the evening.

Could you possibly fly into Shannon instead of Dublin? RyanAir does that flight and you'd save several hours of driving.

Have a great trip,
PittPurple
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your advice.

For Day 1 I have planned only a visit to cliffs of Moher. Is there any other recommended stop on our form Dublin(we will have an early start).

As adviced, I am thinking of staying in Kinsale on Day 4 (after visiting Cobh & Blarney) insted of returning to Killarney. That should allow us to visit Cashel, & Cahir and New Ross on Day 5 before retreating in Kilkenny.

Aug 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM

The Burrens and Doolin are rather near the Cliffs of Moher. As a warning, there were no safety rails at the Cliffs when my wife and I went on a honeymoon in 1991.
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM

When I had thought of flying into Dublin it was recommended to me on this forum that we stop at Adare for a break and to see the village - it's apparently very cute with thatched cottages.
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice
Is it worth visiting Bunratty Park and do the circle of Dingle Peninsula on the same day? Or I am asking too much?
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM

alexous wrote: "Or I am asking too much?"

Too much.

With the ambitions you have, it might be best to move more often. You could visit Bunratty Folk Park, then drive to Dingle (short stop in Adare -- it's pretty but not profoundly interesting, and it isn't authentically Irish) and overnight in Dingle with a view to doing the Slea Head drive the following morning.