Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Advice: Italy and Switzerland in April (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-advice-italy-and-switzerland-in-april-295758/)

lawdogkms Mar 8th, 2003 09:00 PM

Itinerary Advice: Italy and Switzerland in April

I’m taking my wonderful wife to Italy in mid-April.<BR><BR>She’s never been out of the U.S. and only a few states..<BR><BR>I spent 10 yrs in the USN, and traveled quite a bit in Italy..<BR><BR>We will have 7 days on the ground in Europe..<BR> <BR> Here’s the basic Itinerary I want to follow: If it’s possible……<BR><BR>-Fly into Rome…1st and 2nd day in Rome, see highlights, and spend 1st and 2nd night<BR>-3rd day travel by train to Zermatt Switzerland see sights in the evening and stay the night<BR>-4th day take the Glacier Express train to St Moritz..stay the night or catch a night train to Venice.<BR>-5th day, see Venice Highlights<BR>-6th day, train back to Rome and tour some more<BR>-7th day more Rome...<BR>-8th we’re back to the 9-5……<BR><BR>This way, we can see Rome for a few days, Venice for a day, and take what I understand (Glacier Express) is an unforgettable rail journey into and through Switzerland..<BR><BR>BTW, My wife and I love train travel and mountains..<BR><BR>We won't get to do another trip like this for many years, so we want to maximize our 7 days!<BR><BR>Now my questions for you experienced travelers:<BR><BR>Does this itinerary sound do-able? <BR><BR>A good idea?<BR><BR>Any other suggestions to see? We definently want to do Rome..but are flexible on the others..<BR><BR>I want to MAXIMIZE and SEE ALL WE CAN in our 7 days without making it uncomfortably rushed though……..<BR><BR>I’ve been to Rome, and I will be bored in more than 2 days, so we’ve got to venture elsewhere….and what better way to do it than by train..<BR><BR>Would I be just as happy flying into Switzerland, getting a Swiss Rail Pass (which I understand is very good) and then venturing into Rome and Venice….or is it better to Base from Italy and venture into Switzerland?<BR><BR>Which would be more cost effective?<BR><BR>How inexpensive is lodging in Zermatt? Chur? St Moritz? <BR><BR>We want to do this as inexpensively as possible “bare-bones”<BR><BR><BR>

hike Mar 9th, 2003 03:09 AM

I suppos it's no option to arrive in Rome and depart from Zurich? Also more than 7 hours on a day train (even Glacier Express) is a (too) long ride, many frineds of mine says. But you did say your wife likes trains. Consider Bernina Express as an alternative which is more scenic and shorter than Glacier Express, again according to many friends of mine. Of course you can't take it from Zermatt.

jmw Mar 9th, 2003 04:36 AM

Or what about in the opposite direction: Is it possible you might consider landing in Zurich and working your way down to Rome? Train from Zurich to Zermatt, then to Venice, and finally to Rome? J.

swandav2000 Mar 9th, 2003 05:43 AM

Hello lawdogkms,<BR><BR>Ok, I'll be the first one to say it like this: the current plan has far too much train travel. I too like trains, but this is just too much of a good thing.<BR><BR>For instance, the trip from Rome to Zermatt will take you either 9.13 hours with four changes, 10.13 hours with three changes, or 9.40 hours with three changes. Then you want to turn around the next day and take another seven hour train trip to St Moritz. And then either a night train to Venice that night or another all-day train ride the next day?<BR><BR>You'll be dizzy. Consider a linear route as jmw or hike suggest.<BR><BR>s<BR><BR>

HowardR Mar 9th, 2003 06:23 AM

I totally agree with the previous poster--much too much train travel. Further, in a couple instances, you aren't even planning to spend much time in the destinations after the long train rides. <BR>I would definitely rethink your plans and come up with a more practical, less hectic (i.e., much less train travel) itinerary.<BR>Considering that your wife has never been out of the US, has limited travel experience in the US and you are planning a trip to one of world's great destinations (i.e., Italy), you can certainly plan more memorable experience.

Ingo Mar 9th, 2003 06:48 AM

I absolutely agree with the previous posters. Consider to fly into Zurich (or Geneva or Milan) and out Rome.<BR><BR>I suggest to take the train from Zurich (or Geneva/Milan) to Zermatt. Stay there for a night, take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz, stay for a night. Take the Bernina Express to Tirano next day and continue to Venice. Then to Rome. Very doable. I met Americans who did the same itinerary.<BR><BR>Accommodation is affordable in Zermatt and St. Moritz if you are satisfied with basic comfort. Not as expensive as in Venice/Rome. (Depends on the season, of course!)<BR><BR>Ingo

lawdogkms Mar 9th, 2003 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the great replies...<BR><BR>I'm now thinking about flying into Zurich and out of Rome or vice-versa...