Itinerary Advice for Northern Germany

Jan 17th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary Advice for Northern Germany

We are buying a Volvo in Sweden in May. We plan to drive the car through Denmark (visiting cousins there) and on to Amsterdam where we will board a ship for a Baltic cruise. We will have just 2-3 days in northern Germany. I have read about a few possible places to visit but I need to narrow the list down to perhaps two areas. Any advice about your top two favorite places in northern Germany would be great. We like quaint villages, historic buildings and pretty landscapes, Thanks very much!
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Try these places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCneburg_Heath

http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I second Lübeck (brick gothic architecture), and propose Bremen with its quaint Schnoor district. I also like Hamburg but it's a big city - perhaps Hamburg + Stade ...? Also Flensburg, on the Danish border, is cute - try the Flensburger Pilsener (Flens), which is a cult beer.

Lavandula
Jan 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. They are very helpful. I am wondering about Munster and "Munsterland" with its castles as another possible stop. Also, would it be worth the extra miles to go to Cologne? Appreciate the advice!
Jan 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM

Please don't confuse Munster and Münster (or Muenster - insert an extra e like this if you can't type the Umlaut), as these are two different cities - in this case spelling really matters. Munster in the Lüneburg Heath has the tank museum and a large army base and that's about it. Münster is the old university city with the water castles and palaces in the surroundings that you are thinking about. Yes, the latter is surely worthwhile if it fits into your route. The former is of interest only to military enthusiasts.