Itinerary Advice--Europe in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip from Chicago, U.S. in January 2016 to join my college student who is studying abroad in Scotland fall 2015. Will be taking our 2 other college students, total of 4 traveling. Planning to meet in Venice, then travel to Budapest, Prague, and then back to Scotland as the college student must return to the states from Edinburgh Scotland. We have 13 days which include our arrival day and departure day. Currently thinking of the following itinerary:
3 nights in Venice, then fly to Budapest
4 nights in Budapest, then train to Prague
3 nights in Prague, then fly to Edinburgh
2 nights in Scotland, return to U.S.

Staying longest in Budapest as we lived there for 18 months when the children were ages 5 and under, some have memories, want to revisit places/house/school etc.

Looking for feedback on travel plans, any weather implications to think about, and overall itinerary.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Prague and Budapest will probably be quite cold, and Venice and Edinburgh may be--Venice is particularly cold and rainy.

We visited Prague in April and it was VERY cold. However, seeing that you're from Chicago (coldest place that I've ever been to), you should do fine.

You are moving around too much to suit me. I'd substitute somewhere around the Mediterranean--Rome, Naples, Provence, for example for Prague and Budapest. But since you've got a reason for going to Budapest. . .
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Aside from the brutally depressing weather, my only concern is the train trip from Budapest to Prague. I hope the current immigration crisis will be on the road to recovery by then, but it does seem to be snarling up train travel around Central and Eastern Europe right now.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM

We just took the train from Budapest to Prague. We were there during the refugee situation at Keleti station. The trains did not run this route for several days, but started running again the night before we left. We booked a sleeper, which worked out really well.

We also made backup plans. The train we were taking also stops in Slovakia, and we were advised to pick it up there if it wasn't running from Keleti. The taxi fare to get to the Slovakia station is about $70. Fare all the way to Prague would be around $400 (this can also be arranged). We had the host of our b&b arrange this if we needed it. He made the suggestions and phone calls and kept us up to date on the situation during our 3 night stay.

Bus tickets are very cheap for that route. We would have gotten some as a backup but they were sold out, so if in the week or so before your trip things look iffy, you should purchase bus tickets, even if you eat the cost.

There is only 1 nonstop flight and it is expensive. Renting a car is also complicated and expensive because you are going through multiple countries.

Honestly I doubt you will have to deal with any of this come January.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 02:02 PM

If Europe has not sorted out its border/refugees issues by January, we will all have a lot more to worry about than just a few crossings at the Hungarian border.

The real issue, I think, is whether Hungary is worthy of your tourist-money support, despite your personal connection, but if you aren't already thinking that, I doubt anything I say will cause you to reconsider.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 10:04 PM

Commenting on two nights in Scotland only. It will be dark. It will be wet/ damp. It may be very cold.

Get a lovely hotel/ flat with an open fire and a tumble drier. Bring sweaters and waterproofs. Enjoy