Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itenerary help: where to go w/ extra days in Italy?

Aug 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi, my husband and I have been to Rome,Florence, and Venice last year and we are planning to take his Parents there in late October. We are not museum people so we don't plan to stay in the 'big' Cities for too long (2 days each: Rome, FLorence, Venice).
My question is.... for the extra 3-4 days, where should we go?
1)Amalfi coast/Pompeii
2)Italian Lakes
3)a town in Switzerland(???)
I have yet to do some research/reading and want to know what you think. Any suggestion would be great, thanks!
Sammyc
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Sammyc: The way I see it, you have many great options. I would suggest do one of the following:

1) Drive the few hours south of Rome and stay the last few nights in Sorrento. It's a beautiful seaside town, and a great base-town. From Sorrento, you can easily drive to Pompeii, Amalfi, and Naples. It iks also a great location to catch the ferry over to the island of Capri for the day (absolutly incredible) I would suggest this above all else. This region (Campagna) is my absolute favorite region in Italy.

2) You also have the option of touring some wonderful small towns in Tuscany and Umbria. Since you said you would prefer smaller towns, I would suggest you stay in Siena. The town is absolutly incredible! From Siena, you can easily make day trips to Montepulciano and San Gimignano. Both towns are Tuscan hill-top towns, and boast commanding views of the Tuscan countryside.

San Gimignano is really famous for it's many towers. The city has many ancient towers that dominate the landscape.

Also, you could drive into Umbria into Assisi. The town would be a nice stop going back to Rome.

If you want me to help you further, or to give you more specific details about one of the places, let me know!
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Romulus. We will not be renting a car, so where is a good 'central place' where we can walk to the shops and get taxis in Amalfi coast? I heard Positano and Ravello is nice....
Will it be too cool in late Oct. for the Italian Lakes region? We don't plan to swim, so would it be ok?
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
ira

Hi Sammy,

You could add a day to Rome and visit Ostia Antica or Orvieto.

You could add a day to Florence and visit Siena.

You could add a day to Venice and just slow down and enjoy Italy.

Aug 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
ira

PS,

If you can arrange it, I suggest flying into Venice and out of Rome.
Aug 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM

In my opinion the best place in the Amalfi coast to use as a base town is Sorrento. The town itself if stunning, it has shops and beautiful views and great restaurants. In addition, they have bus tours that can take you to Amalfi and Pompeii. Also, the ferry for Capri leaves right out of the Sorrento harbor. It's all very convienent. All the tours are easy, as Sorrento is centrally located to everything. Sorrento also offers beautiful churches and great markets.

If you are looking for a good hotel, I would Suggest Hotel Villa Maria. It's centrally located, it has a great pool and bar, and the rooms offer stunning views. The rooftop terrace also offers amazing views across the bay of naples, Vesuvio, and downtown Naples. In the morning you can see clouds of steam rise from the crater across the bay. It's an amazing sight!
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input! We're using our miles for the flight and could not find a flight into Venice and out of Rome This will definetly give me some ideas of what do do. Thanks again