Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itenerary Help for May-Jun 2006 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itenerary-help-for-may-jun-2006-a-575051/)

dealmama Dec 7th, 2005 02:20 PM

Itenerary Help for May-Jun 2006

Hi,

My wife & I are visiting Switzerland for 9 days from May May 26 - Jun 4.

I'm planning an itenerary like this. Please suggest any changes or better places to visit.

1)Arrive in Zurich. Train to Lucern. Stay in Lucern.
2) Lucern -> train to Chur for the night.
3) Bernina Express to Tirano. Return train to either Poschiavo or Pontresina.
4) Take Glacier express from St.Mortix/Chur to Brig. Cut through to Spiez. -> Interlaken.
5-7) 3 days in Bernese Ob. Gimmmelwald+Schilhorn+Jungfrau
8) Golden Pass Train to Montreaux. -> Chateau D' Chillon, + Choc Train to Broc.
9) Lausanne
10) Go Home....................

Apart from any intenerary suggestions, please let me know if there are any interesting towns that we stay along the Bernina Express route. I ahve read someplace that there are some cute towns in that route. Right now, we are thinginf of Poschiavo or Pontresina.

Thanks a lot
Chuck.

Melnq8 Dec 7th, 2005 04:29 PM

Keep in mind that many hotels and restaurants in the alpine villages of the Berner Oberland (Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, etc) are closed until about mid June. Some of the attractions in the BO are closed as well (Mannlichen, Allmendhubel, Schyinge Platte, etc) - you might want to check the opening times of specific things you want to do to avoid disappointment.

Have a good trip!

swandav2000 Dec 8th, 2005 04:07 AM

Hi Chuck,

I guess I have to be the dissenting voice here, but I think you're trying to do far, far too much in nine days. I believe your only memories of this trip will be the inside of trains and the beds you fell into at night.

I wonder if you've checked the length of the train trips? On day 3, the trip from Chur to Tirano takes 4h15, then the return to St. Moritz will be 2h20 (6h35 on trains). On day 4, the trip from St Moritz to Brig will be 6 hours, then on to Interlaken will be an additional 1h30 (7h30 on trains). On day 8, the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux will take 2h31, then from Montreux to Broc will be 1h33, and from Broc to Lausanne will be 1h41 (a total of 5h40 on trains); then you also want to get to Chillon?

I also don't like all the one-nighters (in Luzern, Chur, St Moritz, & Lausanne); it wastes too much time packing, checking out of a hotel, checking into the new hotel, & unpacking.

I suspect that you're trying to get ALL the scenic trains done in one trip. Well, I guess that's fine if you value trains over the country itself.

Personally, I would rather spend six or eight hours walking through the mountains, meandering by a lake, sipping wine at an outdoor cafe, or just reading on a park bench than seeing the countryside through a train window as if it were a tv screen.

I would rather pick one or maybe two places, then enjoy the day doing local walks.

s

dealmama Dec 8th, 2005 09:27 AM

Thanks swandav2000.

Do u recommend any specific cities/nice towns to visit and any specific train rides considering the amount of time i have ?

swandav2000 Dec 8th, 2005 11:38 AM

Hi again,

I would do either:
A. Zurich-St. Moritz, stay a few days and do the Bernina Express round trip, then go to Brig-Spiez-Interlaken, stay a few days, then depart Zurich.

B. Zurich-Interlaken, stay a few days, then the Golden Pass to Montreux, stay a few days, then depart.

I'll have more recommendations on how to stay busy, explore small towns, ramble the countryside, and have fun if you decide on one or the other --

I would also like to suggest you re-post and put "Switzerland" in your title to attract more attention.

Check rail schedules at www.rail.ch.

Have fun!

s