Itenerary for United Kingdom/ Ireland

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Shane

Itenerary for United Kingdom/ Ireland

Hi everyone; <BR> <BR>My 3 friends and I are planning a trip to the United Kingdom and Ireland during the last week of July and the first week of August. We have come up with a tentative plan and we would like to have you tell us if this seems reasonable (or close to being reasonable). <BR>We are from a small city from the east coast of Canada so our flight options are quite limited. Hence; the scattered flights. So; here it goes; <BR> <BR>Fly from Moncton, NB to Paris - stay for 2 nights <BR>Take the "Chunnel" to London - stay 2 nights <BR>On Day 5 or 6 fly to Shannon or Dublin; stay for approximately 7 nights around Ireland <BR>Around day 12 take the ferry from Belfast to Scotland, travel the highlands for 4 days and fly home from Glasgow to Halifax, NS on day 16 or 17. <BR> <BR>I know it's a lot to see and we won't be able to see much in places like Paris and London but like I mentioned; our home location makes our flight options limited. Suggestions for things to do at these places would be appreciated as well as places to stay (B&B's would be preferable). This will be our 1st trip to Europe so your kind thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 08:18 AM
frank

SCOTLAND: <BR>Bed & Breakfasts <BR>http://www.b-and-b-scotland.co.uk/ <BR>I prefer to wait until I see a place I like with a B&B sign, rather than book blind.Perhaps someone will recommend one.If doing this you should have a list you can phone to in case of emergencies. <BR> <BR>Sample itineraries,tours,accomodation & lotsa good stuff: <BR>http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/scotland.htm <BR>That's a really good site! <BR> <BR>Centre of Glasgow is 15 mins drive fron the airport, Glasgow is worth seeing,perhaps just before you go. <BR> <BR>From Ireland you should skip Glasgow en route to the Highlands, use the Erskine bridge to cross the Clyde from the M8.(The ferry to Campelltown is being discontinued so you get the fast seacat to SW Scotland.)I suggest Oban & Skye in the Highlands.If the weather is dreadful, abandon the highlands & head for Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Cathy

Steve, <BR>I would suggest that you check out Ryanair (www.ryanair.ie or .com - I forget which). They are a no frill airline and they fly from outside Paris to Standstead (London) or to Dublin, they also have flights out of Standstead to Dublin and from Dublin to Glsgow (just outside it). You will save time and money instead of travelling by train or boat. The Seacat from Belfast to Scotland is fast but on a bumpy day watch out - I prefer turblence anyday. <BR> <BR>I would advise advoiding Northern Ireland in July and August as it is peak marching time (Loyalistist celebrating a victory over 400 years ago) and it tends to be a pretty tense time. Are you hiring a car in Ireland ? If not you will be slightly limited on where you can travel ? Post more details and I will try and help, Regards <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 11:10 AM
Shane

Hi Cathy; <BR> <BR>We do plan on renting a car while in Ireland since we are there for a week or so. We have thought about doing a small 3 or 4 day guided tour to end our trip in Scotland. If there is anything else I can add for you to help me let me know.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 03:08 PM
Sheila

I'm trying to gather the strengthto do this for you properly but I keep getting home from work at Midnight! <BR> <BR>Could you post your specific interests and anything you absolutely do not want to miss and I'll try to do it for you tomorrow.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:55 PM
Emily

Have you heard of the "Haggis" tour? I saw a brochure a few months ago, they do 3 and 6-day tours geared for a younger traveler. I haven't been on one of these but it sounded like fun. Website is: www.radicaltravel.com <BR>I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any experience with this company. Have a great trip, my friends and I did a similar route last November, email me if you'd like any specifics.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:08 AM
Shane

Hi again; <BR> <BR>I don't know about you guys but if any of you are first time travellers to Europe like I am then you must be experiencing the same overwhelmedness that I feel. There's so much we want to see and do it is hard to narrow down. I certainly understand it helps you to offer suggestions so we will try to brainstorm some more to be more specific. In the meantime, keep your suggestions coming!! <BR>On a brighter note, thanks to your suggestions I checked ryanair.com and they fly from Paris to Dublin so we will prbably do that and skip London this time. That would give us an extra couple of days in Paris too. I was advised to avoid Northern Ireland during the summer. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way from Ireland to Scotland?

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 12:31 PM
Cathy

Shane, <BR>Check Ryanair again, they fly from Dublin to the Glasgow area. By the way Northern Ireland is quite safe to visit except for the marching season ie summer months. I would suggest that since you sound like three young guys you should spend some time in Dublin - visit the Guinness Brewery, Book of Kells in Trinity College, Wrietrs Museum, take a walking tour of Dublin with the Trinity History Students (no other group gives such a good tour and they are students who study in the city), try the Oub Crawl tour to see some of the better establishments in the city. Temple Bar is popular with young tourists (watch out for pick pockets and expensive beer). Don't bother picking up the car until you are ready to leave Dublin as parking is a pain in the city (just spend 1 hour sitting in traffic in the centre of Dublin today trying to find a parking space). Give an idea of things ou are interested in and I will recommend some other places, <BR>Hope this helps <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Sheila

BLAST! Fodor's is swallowing posts again. This my third attempt at posting this message. <BR> <BR>1. Routes to Scotland from Ireland <BR> <BR>a) Ferry to Stranraer from Belfast or Larne <BR>b) Ferry to largs from Belfast or Larne <BR>c) Seatcat to Stranraer or larne from Belfast <BR>d) flight by Ryanair to Prestwick (cheap) <BR>e) flight ot Edinburgh or Glasgow (BA-dear) <BR> <BR>or, if the intention is your original self driven tour of the Highlands, the preferred option...ferry from Portrush to Campbeltown. This is a seasonal service and this summer is only the third year; but it will bring you in in your target area and avoid a lot of faffing about in the central belt. If that's what you choose let me know and I'll suggest some things for you to do. <BR> <BR>If, however you decide to go with the tours, here are the ones I know of... <BR> <BR>1) Haggis Backpackers-0131 557 9393 <BR>2) Go Blue Banana- 0131 556 2000 <BR>3)Rabbie's Trail Burners- 0131 226 3133 <BR> <BR>Excellent Adventures do it with kayaking and stuff- 0131 669 4418 or [email protected] <BR> <BR>or you could tailor one to suit yourselves. My friend John does it. See <BR>www.caledonian-heritage-tours.co.uk <BR> <BR>So do Scotsell- 0141 772 5928. Hope these help. <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 01:58 PM
corinne

Dear Shane, <BR> <BR>Dublin's great but it's not the only place; if you want to combine lively city with irish scenery give Galway a try as well; if you time it for the Galway Races you're in for a treat -their about that time. <BR> <BR>Galway's to the south of the Connemara mountains; for maximum scenic overkill drive up through Connemara into Sligo and Donegal. Detour east from Sligo to find the source of the Shannon just south of Blacklionon the Cavan/Fermanagh border. You'll be well off the main tourist trails by then; it's only a 2 hour drive back to Dublin from Cavan town. Don't be scared off by the marches; after July 12 it's pretty quiet and only Belfast is really a problem then. Mind, if you do go along the border, expect low-flying army helecopters; they have to do something for their pay! I've got friends on the Fermanagh side of the border; the scenery's stunning (Lough Erne, Lower and Upper)- give it a try! It has the advantage of being pretty tourist free. <BR>Eat the soda bread ("wheaten bread") from the Derrygonnally bakery just south of Lower Lough Erne - it's the best in Ireland! <BR> <BR>Happy Holidays! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 02:50 PM
Sheila

I regret I'm out of date the Nothern Ireland/Kintyre ferry is not running this season. <BR> <BR>So you must write off that option. Sorry