Italy's Amalfi Coast

Search

Italy's Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy's Amalfi Coast

I want to rent an apartment or house for a week on the Amalfi Coast the end of April or wait until mid June.
I want a small town so was thinking about Atrani but never heard of it before. Would like a deck with an ocean view but don't want to climb hundreds of stairs. Any plus or minuses to that town? Any other suggestion? (Sorrento too large, Positano to hilly)
Will not have a car so need to depend on buses because I think the trains do not go there. Am I correct on that assumption?
Will the boat be running to Capri in April?
I'm a senior citizen so keep that in mind--very active and fit but still a senior!
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:37 AM

You are correct that trains only go as far as Sorrento.

If you want a room with a view in Atrani, you will need to climb stairs to get it.

There is an apartment rental agency for the Amalfi coast that many people use and trust. It has a great reputation. It is called Summer in Italy. If you e-mail them directly and tell them what you want, they can probably find you just the right apartment.

You might consider staying in Ravello, which is all flat and has beautiful sky-high views, but you would need to take more than one bus every single time you wanted to go someplace else. (First a bus out of Ravello, then catch a bus to Positano, etc.) If you are prone to motion sickness, those multiple bus rides on twisty roads can get nauseating.

Boats to Capri will run in April, but not quite as frequently as they do in June.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:37 AM

I would do June rather than April - for better weather and more transport options.

You are correct there is no train on the AC - you will be limited to bus, taxi or ferry. Ferries will run to Capri in April but not sure where they will be coming from,. Definitely from Naples and Sorrento - not sure about from Positano.

Don;t know about transit from Atrani - or how much climbing there will be.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:08 AM

Such certainty may be misplaced!

Unless things have changed (which they haven't!) there is indeed a train service that goes to the Amalfi Coast - calling at Vietri sul Mare, the first town after it begins to stick out from the "mainland"... and a very pleasant place:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/vietri

That's on a line which runs from Naples, passing through Pompei on its way to Salerno.... from where, like Naples, there are fast trains to Rome etc operated both by Trenitalia and their new rival 'Italo Treno'.

But perhaps a trade-off - as it's obviously not a very central point from which to explore the AC - and lacks a landing stage etc for boats to Capri.... although almost all of those available in April will be starting out from nearby Salerno!

Amalfi on the other hand is the local hub for buses etc, with the best of the AC harbours.... from where boats can operate even those elsewhere - at Positano, for instance - are prevented from doing so by the weather, or sea conditions.

Try this, for an idea of public transport journey times ashore....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

... and this for the early 2012 season offerings from one of the boat lines:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop..._Campania.html

Those of the other main one can be found by starting from:
http://www.coopsantandrea.com/eng/az...isiamo_eng.asp

Peter

PS: Excuse the cut and paste, but this may repay a look...

Although it's well overdue for an update (so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare' for now), there's a useful 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the official tourism website, using...

http://www.costiera.it/images/pdf/Tr...rectory_En.pdf
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM

The ferry that runs from Salerno to Capri is a terrible milk-run that takes hours, and its operating schedule makes it extremely inconvenient for trying to use it for day trip to Capri, especially if you are not staying right in Salerno. Besides, you practically have no time on the island before you need to get back on the boat to return. Unless A Brit in Ischia knows about a fast ferry from Salerno that I don't.

From Vietri sul Mare it might be simpler to take the train back to Naples to catch a ferry to Capri.

But it seems fairly plain that the poster is asking for help to enjoy the spectacular views of the Amalfi coast without excessive stair climbing. There is no way to base in Vietri sul Mare and have those views or easily get to Capri for a day -- which is a pretty big trade off simply for being able to say you rode a train to the Amalfi Coast.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:10 AM

I think it a fairly safe bet that I know countless things about the area I live in which you may not - wouldn't you?

Rather a lot depends on quite where one wants to visit, however the available transport from places towards the peninsula's far end makes the usual trips to Paestum, Pompei, Herculaneum and the like more difficult... whereas it's 35 minutes or so from Salerno to Amalfi by sea - to be done, presumably, only on the one visit to Capri?

Even so, the amount of time spent there has little to do with where the boat starts from - particularly with the Alicost line and the Coop being based in Salerno..

One disadvantage of going too early in the season is that trips such as these won't be operating yet:

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/eng/ca...sp?foto=capri1

http://www.lucibello.it/web/en/posit...line-to-capri/

On the other hand, by June it should possible to take just about any of the lines we listed in this, over on TA:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop..._Campania.html

... although, during its short 2012 season, the Metro del Mare went no further along the Coast than Amalfi!

Peter
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM

While it is true that you can get to Sorrento and Salerno by train - you CANNOT get to the small towns along the coast by train. There is no train that runs through those towns (no matter how long you have lived in the area).

And early in the year, ferries can be few and far between.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Sometimes I think there is a problem with natives who come to learn a lot of little details about where they live but forget that tourists don't want just to be someplace pleasant but want to see the famous sights and need easy transportation to them. Most people don't want to see Ischia. They want to see Capri.

It is not really easy to take buses from Vietri sul Mare to go to Salerno to take a train to go to Pompei, and then go to the main entrance of Pompei (which isn't near the train station). And if you get back to late, the buses to Vietri sul Mare stop running.

Positano has a bus that runs up and down the hills, and in June it also has a ferry right to Capri. So maybe the easiest thing to do is go in June and get an apartment in Positano and use the bus to go up and down the hill.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
DAX

Bookmarking
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM

>>> It is not really easy to take buses from Vietri sul Mare to go to Salerno to take a train to go to Pompei, and then go to the main entrance of Pompei (which isn't near the train station).

Only an idiot would choose to do that, with the CSTP bus #4 to Pompeii's Porta Marina passing through Vietri...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128796759

I'll not comment on the type of person who would suggest it... other than to say it's a shame to see people being so thoroughly misled?

Peter
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:24 AM

What a temper!

It is not me who "suggested" this poor OP go to Pompei from Vietri sul Mare. I think it is bad advice to suggest to anyone to stay in Vietri sul Mare if they want to enjoy the Amalfi coast.

I read your first post when you thought you would look very smart by pointing out that there is a train running through Pompei to Salerno, and on to Vietri Sul Mare. You didn't mention anything about a bus to Pompei. How would this poor poster know what to do if she took your advice to stay in Vietri sul Mare and then wanted to go to Pompei? Why call her an idiot for thinking she should take the train when you made so much of it?

I hope she understands that Vietri sul Mare is not where people go when they want to see the beauties of the Amalfi coast. She hasn't even said she wants to go to Pompei.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM

peapod - How about staying in Vico Equense - it is a small town very close to Sorrento, and has very good public transport connections - including a train station.

The town is very authentically Italian, and not hoarded by tourists as in the towns of Positano and Sorento. There are good restaurant, one of which is the famous Pizza al Metro and Vic's Street. Some hotels and other accommodations have wonderful views of the Vesuvius and Bay of Naples.

We had stayed at the Cubo apartments - they are brand new, high-tech, designer finished and so beautiful. The owners are also so incredibly lovely and helpful - it is family owned. There is also a cafeteria and restaurant below the apartments, and are very close to the train station, as well as the central square. The owners also serve a complimentary light breakfast of a hot drink and a brioche, served either to the apartment or in the cafeteria. You won't be disappointed if you manage to book there. If you are interested in this place, email them directly and for an apartment with a good frontal sea view (the very top one is the best - it also has a large terrace, but is the most expensive), as some have a side-sea view. Nothing beats this view, believe me, with the Vesuvius seeming right in front of you. There are not many apartments in the block, so you don't feel stuffy and overwhelmed with tourists. Just google "cubo apartments in Vico Equense" and find their website. Tripadvisor now has raving reviews regarding these apartments - we were I guess one of the first visiters as we stayed there in 2010, the same year they opened - I am always on the alert for any new and unique accommodation, lol.

Another small town you might consider is Massa Lubrense, also close to Sorrento. We had stayed in a small hotel that also has a great very affordable restaurant, and the owner is a really nice person . It is called Relais Il Pennino, and the rooms also offer a wonderful sea-view, and are still in the town centre. This is also a small town with an Italian feel. It does not have a train station like Vico Equense, but I am sure there is a regular bus service to this town. (I would not know exactly the times etc because we hired a car and drove around ourselves. It is not touristy at all, in fact very few mention it here. It makes a good base for those who want a very quiet relaxing holiday on the Sorrento Coast.

These are two relatively quieter towns on the Sorrento coast - Vico Equense a bit livelier than Massa Lubrense.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM

More bad ideas! Do you also live in Italy?

Look, the lady wants to go to the famous Amalfi coast and Capri and have a sea view. She is not a cripple, but she just doesn't want to do mountain climbing all day.

Can't anybody help her do that?
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:13 AM

It would be good to hope that the OP sidestepped the grandstanding - and has by now looked through some of the literature offered, and decided for herself?

As well as photos of most places, that "Travel Directory" also has listings of their hotels, B&B and holiday apartments - lacking perhaps only this.... which may give an indication of who's likely to be found staying, and in what numbers, in some of the larger resorts:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/138495555

Personally, I'd pick somewhere close to Amalfi, perhaps on the Vietri side - not only to be in easy reach (a single bus ride in many cases) of just about all the Coast, and for the superior sea connections referred already.. but also in order to spend my vacation amongst predominantly Italian visitors!

Peter
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM

<i>She is not a cripple, but she just doesn't want to do mountain climbing all day. Can't anybody help her do that?</i>

Here's one idea. One can, in fact, stay in Positano -- way up on the hill -- and not climb stairs all day. We rented an apartment just two doors down from the Bar Internazionale bus stop. And we just rode the local buses up and down. It was pretty easy, actually.

The views from up there are nothing short of stunning, too.

Just a thought.