Italy with teenagers-what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying near Lucca for the first 2 weeks in July and need ideas for keeping a 15-year old girl and a 12-year old boy entertained. Also, should they bring I-pods, or will they a) look silly, and b) be stolen?
Thanks
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
ira

Hi W,

Are you just going to vegetate?

> should they bring I-pods <

Why go to all the bother and expense of dragging them to Italy if they are just going to bring the same-old, same-old with them?

Have you gotten them books on Italy?

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Take them to a nearby beachtown. Find out where a park is where kids their age play and maybe they will pick up soccer. Find a swimming pool. Let them try riding a vespa like so many of the local Italian kids their age do.

Let them have their ipod and whatever else they want to bring, but make THEM carry everything their own luggage.

Here is a Rick Steves article on travelling with teens:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/preteens.htm

If all this fails, slip them a mickey, sell their kidneys on the black market and use the money to finance another year in Europe.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Definitely let them bring their i-pods or whatever else they might want for down time.Kids don't typically relish total immersion 24/7- even in Italy! Just don't let them leave the i-pods in a conspicious place when you go out.

I'd recommend plenty of day trips. Lucca is very very quiet. Pisa and Florence are each worth a day or two. And further afield, there's San Gimignano,Volterra, and Siena.

You could also visit Cinque Terre from Lucca. I'm not sure of the distance, but guessing just under two hours?

Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

are you going anywhere else? We took my then 12 yr old son to the hill top towns in Tuscany and Umbria. He loved them because some of them were small enough that I let him wander by himself and just told him when and where to meet us. It made him feel in control and grown up. He also loved the Science Museum in Florence.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Some ideas:
A bike ride or walk on top of the walls surrounding Lucca.
Climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Visit the Museum of Torture in San Gimignano.
See the incorrupt head of St. Catherine of Siena in the church of St. Dominic in Siena.
Visit the La Specola Museum in Florence to see the amazing models of body parts and other gruesome stuff.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas, thanks! Letting them wander a bit on their own would be a easy and cheap thrill. The Rick Steves article was really helpful too.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM

We stayed outside Lucca with my girls and they really liked Siena and they loved Cinque Terre. By all means bring their I-pods. Just keep an eye on them in crowded areas (and trains) just like you would with your backpacks and purse.