Italy with teenagers

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:20 PM
kathy

Italy with teenagers

My son will be traveling to Florence, Venice and Rome in July with a 19 year old boy, 16 and 13 year old girls and an 12 year old girl. For those of you who have done something like this, what suggestions do you have for things to do to keep them all happy? If any of you reading this are teenagers, I'd love to hear from you too!

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:46 PM
sandi

We spent 2 weeksin Italy w/ our 12 yr old son Oct/Nov. of 2000 and I have a lot of info in my trip report that I'll be glad to send to you. If you'll respond to this note to tell me it's ok, I'll send it to you. I'll also talk to my son and get more info from him about his favorite parts of the trip.

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Rex

I take it that your son is not a family member with the other four. And is his age somewhere between 16 and 19 (or at least between 14.5 and 19? and whose parents are going on this trip? Are you NOT one of the accompanying adults?

I have only been the parent (or accompanying adult) on trips involving my own kids - - or kids who had substantial opportunities to "bond" together - - I have never been in the shoes of a parent "sending" our kid(s) with someone else's parents.

I think that some keys are: talk frankly with your son about whether he really likes these other kids - - and whether he is worried about getting along with the two closest to his age. If he is 12 or 13, I might wonder if he is going to be "left out" clique-wise. I realize that probably sounds like parenting advice - - not travel advice, but I do think it is important.

As for travel advice, I think that the responsibility lies with the adults who ARE going on the trip. Happily, based on my experience, it's almost impossible to do anything wrong - - they will be ecstatically happy, though if the 12 yr old girl is from a different family than the others, there is the risk of her getting homesick.

You can try to get him to read a lot in the next month, although I will say that with our own kids, it didn't really work - - they wanted to see the tour books the day before we were going to some place - - not before, really.

You and the other parents will want to establish what are the rules about them getting off on their own (realistically, never truly alone - - but by twos or threes) - - quite reasonable in Venice, with modest boundaries in Florence - - and with rather tight limits in Rome, in my opinion.

Last of all, prepare yourself for him to make a few purchase mistakes - - overpriced stuff - - or trinkety junk, or whatever. Just be glad he's getting the opportunity to learn like this.

He ought to have a great trip.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 21st, 2001, 03:14 AM
Mary

We spent two weeks in Italy with our teenage son and we are leaving again next week with him (he is 16)!! He loves it and does not mind for a minute being with us ( in fact he says that he would rather go with us since he has better lodging, food, and more museums than if he was with a bunch of kids)! He is so looking forward to going next week! He loves the museums, the medieval towns, the history, the castles, the beaches, the countryside and loves to hear the language and the people interact!! He navigates in the car for us and we always let him be the tour guide routing us through the cities etc. etc. He also loves to eat the food and tries to figure out what he is ordering ( which sometimes is a great surprise )!!! If you have any questions for him--he would be happy to respond !!
Hope this helps!
Mary

Old May 21st, 2001, 03:56 AM
Jane

Sandy, Can you also send me your trip report. I will be traveling to all of these cities in Italy with my 11 year old son next month. Thanks for your help.

Old May 21st, 2001, 04:41 PM
kathy

Sandy: Thanks for the offer and yes, I'd like you to mail me the info.
Rex: I'm not going and my son is the dad of the 4 teenagers.
Mary: Thanks for sharing your experiences

Old May 21st, 2001, 06:24 PM
Rex

Well, I feel really silly - - but I've re-read and re-read your original message, and I don't know how I was supposed to surmise that your son is the parent of the other four.

But I'm not criticizing how you composed your question.

There are so many ways to answer your question - - from making lodging choices, to helping them prepare for meals, to language learning to choosing what to do and see.

For what it's worth, our three teenage daughters LOVED Venice (a lot, a lot, and a WHOLE lot); two of them have been there twice, and insisted on an extra night the second time we went there. I let them have considerable freedom, wandering around Venice (always in pairs - - we went there once with a group of 11 kids total in 1998, and again in 1999 with 5 kids total).

They all also loved Florence, and wished we had done more than day-trip there. Our youngest, in particular was more successful than I in getting the price bargained down on a beautiful leather jacket. Although we were only there about six hours (the 1998 trip), we also allowed splitting up in Florence, and I didn't really worry about any of them (there were two 22 year-olds on that trip, although not necessarily any more savvy than the 18 year olds).

We spent only a single (marathon-long day) in Rome. Keep in mind that Rome is VERY intense (noise, traffic, congestion, plus so much to see and do). I hope you "settle in" enough that you will be able to define a "region" that you let them get out on their own there.

Feel free to write further (or have your son do it) - - if you wish.

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Gail

Sandy,
I am traveling with my two teenagers, 16 and 13 to Italy in one month. Could you send me the trip report as well.
Thank you
Gail
[email protected]

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Ingrid

Sandy,
me, too, please! We have a 9 year-old girl and a "sophisticated" 11-year old boy; we'll visit Lake Garda, Venice, Tuscany!

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:21 AM
sandi

Ingrid,

Your email ID is not working..I can't send you the trip info..

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:41 AM
ingrid

OOOps, terrible, if you can't even spell your own name. Thanks for your reply!

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:46 AM
cindy

sandi, please send me a copy of your trip notes as well - we have a l7 year old son on our trip in june. thank you.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Ric

Sandy:I'll be travelling with my 12 y/o son and would appreciate if you would email your itinerary

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:57 AM
liz

Sandi, I too am traveling this summer with kids to Italy and would love to see you trip report, thought about just posting it on this site to save you some time?

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Marj

I took my kids on a similar trip although they are a bit younger (were 9 & 12). Beforehand I showed them some pictures in books of some of the buildings and art they will see (The eyewitness book has lots of great photos). Also they watched the movie 'only you' which takes place in venice, rome and positano. I think since your kids are a bit older, they could probably be allowed to do some local exploring on their own. just make sure they have a good street map. there are so many great things to see depending on their interests. My kids need breaks from lots of art museums. in florence we went to the history of science museum which is was very interesting for all of us (and a break from art). We spent 1 night in ORvieto and did the underground cave tour which was a big hit. also the movie gladiators (if you're comfortable with the teens seeing it) will make a trip to the colliseum even more fascinating. Rome also has some great stores with teen-type cloths at reasonable prices that the girls might enjoy checking out. Also have them each take a camera.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Susan

Sandi, I would like your notes as well, please. We will be travelling to Italy with a 16 yr old and 14 yr. old in July. Thanks, Susan

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 08:20 AM
sandi

I did post my trip report in January. It's called "Late Posting my trip report..2 weeks in Italy (Milan to Sorrento)" It's very long but might be helpful for certain cities.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Tracy

Sandy, I could not locate your report. Could you please email it to me. We leave Friday for 2 weeks in Italy with our 13 and 9 year olds

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:33 AM
gloria

Sandi, I would appreciate it if you would send me your trip report. I am taking my two sons to Italy in the Spring. MAny thanks!
Gloria
[email protected]

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:50 PM
diane

Sandy, I would also appreciate your trip report. I am leaving at the end of august for rome, florence and venice with 2 teenage daughters. thanks!