Search

Italy with Kids - Places to Stay/Things to Do

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy with Kids - Places to Stay/Things to Do

Hi,

We are traveling with our 10 and 12 year old boys to Italy for a week in April. We fly into Milan and are planning to visit Venice and Florence by car. Any suggestions on places to stay in these two cities? Other places we should stop and see? What would you recommend as great experiences for our kids? They will have an appetite for a few museums and galleries but we would like some ideas for other adventures. Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM

We stayed at the pensioneaccademia.it and the junior suite was perfect for us. It had a large bedroom and a separate bedroom with twin beds. I nice breakfast and best of all a garden where we could relax
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:55 PM

You do realize you'll have to pay to park the car while you're in Venice? You might look into the possibility of flying into Venice and out of some other city like Milan.

Kids love Venice. Just walking around is fun. You can take the vaporetto (water bus) to the island of Murano to see them blowing glass and to Burano, which is just a cute little place.

The town of Lucca, not too far from Florence, is interesting for a day or so. Its walls are intact and you can walk or ride a bike on the path around the top.

The main reason to visit Florence is Renaissance art and architecture, so you might want just a short stay there. You can climb to the top of the dome of the cathedral and also the bell tower IIRC. You can also walk up to Piazzale Michelangelo for a great view over the city.

I bet the boys might enjoy San Gimignano, a very touristy town, but one known for its medieval towers.

Finally, with a car, you might look into staying at an agriturismo, a working farm that lets out a few rooms. That would be a different European experience for your kids.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM

Volterra or any other of the hill fortress towns would be fun for boys that age I would think.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM

If you must fly into Milan, it might be best to train to Venice as paying to park a car in Venice seems an unnecessary waste and hassle. And, if you are planning on just Florence to follow, just train there as well.

If you are interested in the freedom of a car around Tuscany including Florence, you could rent a car as you depart Venice.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM

We took our son to Italy for the first time when he was nine. We flew into Venice, stayed 3 days. He loved the Doges Palace Secret Itineraries tour. From there we rented a car and drove to Ferrara for one night. Wonderful castle, moat, etc. From there drove to Florence for three days, one night in Montepulciano and three days in Rome. He loved the fact that there was a tower to climb in every town. We made that a theme for the trip.
We also hired a private guide for the Vatican and she geared it towards our son. He still talks about it.
We took him again last year (then 11) and I had him research a church in every place we were going. He bacame our tour guide in Venice, Verona, Bellagio and Milan.
He's is now 12 and we are going to Italy this June! This trip is mostly Tuscany and Umbria, so he is doing a little research on the Etruscans so he will be able to tell us a little bit about the towns we are planning on visiting.
Make sure you leave time for lots of gelato breaks!
I think involving your kids in some of the planning and having them do a little research really adds to their excitement when you get there. My son loves Italy now , almost as much as we do!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM

In Venice we had a quad at the hotel flora (at the time my kids were also 10 & 12). It's a very charming 3* hotel, with a nice garden area. In Venice, visit Murano to check out the glass blowers. Also take a tour of Doges palace.

We only spent an overnight in Florence to visit a friend, but we did go to the history of science museum which is great for kids and a nice break from art museums. We stayed in a quad at Hotel Casci, a very clean, quiet and conventient 2* hotel in a great location.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM

You may want to look up the kids europe site which has an "Italy Discovery Journal" you can buy and download yourself.

It has adventures and activities for kids between the ages of 6 and 16 throughout Italy.

I downloaded a copy and thought it would be wonderful for my son, but our trip was postponed so we haven't tried it first hand.

I just thought I'd pass the info on incase it interests you.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:19 PM

www.kidseurope.com

is the address
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:54 PM

I'm planning a trip to Italy with my kids, too. I will tell you that when we took them to Paris (then ages 13, 11 and 8) they all loved anything that could be climbed to the top of and looked out of. They may have complained about other stuff, but they never complained about climbing up any tower, monument, etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM

I wouldn't think you'd want a car for this itinerary. You don't want a car in either city, so you'll have to find a place to park it, and probably pay to do so. Plus, your kids would probably love the train, where they can get up and move around. Even if you want a daytrip from Florence to a Tuscan town, just choose one that you can get to by bus or train, but with only a week between those two cities, you won't have much time for daytrips. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM

Yes, there is something about climbing up to the top of things that my kids enjoy, too. I think kids would find the rooftop of the Duomo in Milan really fun to explore.

Pisa is pretty close to Florence and I would think your boys would really love to climb that tower (I recommend reservations in advance.)

In Venice, be sure to visit the Doge's Palace. I think the dungeons would be intriguing and walking (and sighing) across the Bridge of Sighs. Also, climbing up to the roof of St. Mark's Basilica and standing out where the horses are looking over the square is fun. Of course, there are the gondolas to ride...

Florence is known for great gelato. We had fun trying to visit several different gelato shops and deciding which was our favorite.

Finally, I would try to have the boys become as involved as possible in the trip. In a museum, hand them the map and have them try to navigate the route. Also, try to have the boys learn a few simple Italian words so they can order in restaurants or purchase tickets.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!