Italy with a baby

Search

Italy with a baby

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy with a baby

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy from August 1st-22nd with our 10 month old . We'd like to use Siena as a home base and then do day trips from there.

(1) We're looking for suggestions on baby friendly hotels/apartments. We were thinking it would be preferable to be in the city so we can walk to restaurants without having to drive everywhere but are open to suggestions.

(2) We're wondering if anyone has rented a car with a car seat while in Italy and whether it would be best to bring our own or if the ones provided are fairly decent.

(3) We're likely going to fly into Rome. We're wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to get to Siena...train, bus, car etc.

Thanks in advance.
SMAGS
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM

We rented a car and brought out own car seat; there is a slight chance the rental agency won't have one or you don't like the quality of the one they do have.

If you are going straight to Siena, then I would pick up the car at the airport. But I think the drive is 1-2 hours (someone else would know for sure...) which might be hard to do after a long flight.

Maybe a night or two in Rome?

My last suggestion is to go to www.slowtrav.com and check out their apartment reviews. Apartments are ideal when traveling with a child.

~Mebe

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the car seat. Just seems so big to lug around, but we do prefer to be safe.
I looked on slowtrav already and unfortunatly there wasn't a lot of up to date info on Siena mostly reviews from 2006 and nothing I could find about baby friendly places...darn. I read your review on your trip...inspirational is all I can say. Sounds like a fantastic trip.
We were thinking a night or two in Rome could be good to get over jet lag maybe see a few things there. You still suggest www.dolceroma.com with Natalia?
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM

I guess it matters how many times you change apartments. Since we only moved twice, and either used taxis or our rental car, lugging around the carseat was fine.

I would rent from Natalia again. And I would stay in Rome for at least three days. Just so that you don't feel too rushed. You can't rush Rome, that's when the city's craziness overwhelms, in my opinion.

About apartments in Siena, maybe find a few you like (with good reviews) then email them, explaining you have a young child, and address any concerns (loud traffic, busy street, dangerous stairs) or needs (high chair, crib, bathtub) you have.

Good luck!
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Bring your own car-seat for SURE!!!!

The rental companies can never guarantee one and I would not trust it...yes, a bit of a pain sometimes, but worth it! (and I say this as a mom of an 8yr old...travelled to Italy with no car-seat or booster for the FIRST time since becoming parents...ahhhhhh.finally freedom ;-) )seriously. bring it if you will be using a car. (and besides, it's not really a too big a deal and most of the airlines will not count it as an extra bag)

My other suggestion is to bring a stroller with big wheels if possible...jogging strollers, IMHO are perfect for Italy's cobblestones. Baby products, etc. are easily available, so do pack as light as possible though and don't worry too much about trying to find diapers,etc. - Italy is very baby and kid friendly (I think anyway!).
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks for the help.