Italy - what to do in 8 days

Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Italy - what to do in 8 days

My wife and I want to go to Italy in late April for our anniversary. We are in our late 20's and need some help planning. I've been to italy before (backpacking, but she has not) We want to see rome and venice and want to spend some time in small local villages instead of the city. Does anyone know of any websites or have any suggestions
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

Have you already pruchased your air tickets? Is it open jaw (arr ROme, dep Venice)? Does the 8 days include the travel time, is it 7 nts in Italy?

Assuming 7 nights and open jaw you can just squeeze in so much. I'd say a 4 ny min. in Rome and 3 in Venice. That doesn't really leave much time for small towns. You can drive from Rome to Venice, and spend a night on the road in a small town. Once out of Rome, the drive is easy. There are some towns along the way that are easy to access off the highway and parking for quick stops (Orvieto, San Giminagno). If you do this, you may have to give up a night in Rome or Venice but it's doable.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

My husband and I travle to Italy almost every year. I am 26 and he is 32 so we're close to the same age as y'all.

First of all, could you fly into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa. Eight days isn't much time and this would allow you to avoid backtracking several hours to catch your flight home.

You really need 3 full days in Rome to even touch the surface. The Vatican and world class Vatican Museums take almost a full day to explore properly. The main ancient Roman sights in Rome (Pantheon, Colosseum, Forum, Castel d/ Angelo, Circus Maximus, Domus Aurus, etc) take another full day. Then there are all of the other charming sights in Rome... the many beautiful churches, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the famous Borghese Gallery museum and Capitoline museum, Piazza Navona and its fountains... you're probably getting my drift by now ;-) There are also many worthy sights such as the Appian Way, the "Pyramid Tomb" from Roman times, the Baths of Caracalla and of Diocletion, Piazza de Popolo. I really think you could spend a solid two weeks in Rome and not see everything, but you definitely need a full three days to even hit the highlights.

Venice merits atleast two nights, three if possible. You'll want to see The Basilica San Marco and the piazza, the Doge's Palace (reserve the Secret Itineraries Tour giving you access to areas off limits to the general public), the Correr Museum, Rialto Bridge, the Frari Church, the Accademia museum. There are dozens of noteworthy churches and many people also enjoy spending a day visiting the islands of Burano, Murano, and Torcello.

That leaves you 2 to 3 nights for a small local village. Many people rave about Verona and Vicenza (not far from Venice), or you could consider some of the northern Tuscan towns.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

P.S. I see you are a new poster. Welcome to the boards

Also, will you really have a full 8 days in Italy or does your travel to/from cut into that? If you don't have a full 8 days I suggest cutting out the small village for a couple nights and perhaps stopping in one for an afternoon instead (on your way from Rome to Venice).

If you do look into open-jaw airfare I suggest you check out American Airlines (www.aa.com). We are looking at a Thanksgiving trip and the price from Denver-Rome roundtrip is the exact same as the price of the open-jaw itinerary Denver-Venice and Rome-Denver.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
ira

Hi J,

Have you considered Venice and Florence with daytrips to two of Siena, Lucca/Pisa or Orvieto?

You can fly into Venice and out of Pisa.

Search this Thread