Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy: Vico Equense (near Sorrento) Opinions...

Oct 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in Vico or passed through it recently? If so, do you have any comments? Is it worth a stay for a couple days to soak up the local color? Thanks
Oct 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Also curious... hoping someone will respond to LorenJuneG's post
Oct 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I think it's difficult to answer without knowing your plans for visiting the area. If you want a place to relax in the sun by the sea, it's fine and has beautiful views. If you want to explore the area from Amalfi to Capri to Pompeii to Naples (esp. if using public trans), Vico Equense may feel a little removed. Less of a problem if you have a car, but if summer a car could be more trouble than it's worth.
Oct 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for caring Actually we wanted to stay for 1 or 2 days to enjoy a small town outside of Naples that has views of beautiful Mt. Vesuvius. We didn't want to travel into Sorrento etc. because we will have come from Ravello and Amalfi. The sun, a small beach setting, a small town with a nice town square with the nightly Italian stroll, that kinda thing. Then we will spend 3 nights on Ischia. We are thinking of taking the ferry from Amalfi town into Vico marina and stay at the Axidie Hotel that is right at the marina. Also considered Aequa Hotel in the center of town and uphill from the marina. Thanks for answering.
Oct 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM

I'm not sure you'll get the small town, townsquare/passeggiata feeling if you stay at Axidie. It's at the water level, below the cliffs, and away from the town center. FYI, if you're not aware, the beach at Vico Equense is not sandy.
Oct 13th, 2009, 04:14 AM

I started a long thread about Vico; perhaps there is some useful info here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nt-agnello.cfm

I did not go to Vico on my last trip but, instead, spent the last night, after Ischia,in Naples.
Oct 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Forgot to say that those were two hotels that I was considering.

I also considered staying in Sant Agata, for some of the same reasons. That town lacks a beach, however:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-ischia.cfm