Notices

Italy via Viterbo

Jul 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Italy via Viterbo

My daughter is going to be in Viterbo for the school year. My family of 7 plans to visit at Christmas. Suggested routes over the holidays based out of Viterbo to "see Italy", especially that we will be there over Christmas and would like to see Venice and Rome, probably Florence? Possibly renting a van, but not sure that makes sense either.
Jul 6th, 2013, 12:10 AM

How much of "routes" options do you really have? "Over Christmas" seems to indicate a ~7 days trip? If that is the case, combining "over Christmas" with "Venice", "Rome", "Florence", and Viterbo seem to indicate you can only do rush-rush beelines from one place to another. Where are you envisioning using a van?
Jul 6th, 2013, 06:01 AM

You would need at least two weeks to visit all those. Viterbo is on the train line so you could take the trains between cities. You can't drive in Venice or centers of Florence/Rome as it's restricted (ZTL zones) and controlled by cameras.

If you are talking about day trips from Viterbo, Florence and Venice are too far. Rome would be a 2 hour train ride. You will probably fly into or out of Rome, so schedule a few days there on arrival or departure.
Jul 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies - sorry I didn't say how long. We will have a little less than 3 weeks, so at least a relatively good chunk of time. We were thinking driving might be a more economical way of traveling with so many going, but maybe that is more hassle and stress than it's worth.

Search this Thread