Italy Venice to Rome

Search

Italy Venice to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Venice to Rome

First trip to Italy with a 16 year old. Probably about 10-14 days depending how quickly costs start to add up. I haven't priced flights yet. Due to school schedule, we are looking at late June to early July--I know, I know the crowds but we're somewhat used to summer crowds. Thinking of flying into Venice and then out Rome and taking the train between cities. Just starting to plan, so I'm open to options and suggestions. Possible itinerary:

2 nights in Venice (hopefully flooding not a problem)
4-5 nights in Florence (looks like there's lots of lovely Air BnB options). From there we would take day trips to the coast and Tuscany region. Maybe consider a tour company or bike tour.
3 nights in Rome with a side to Pompeii. Probably a hotel in Rome.

We enjoy museums, food, art and city life but would also like some respite days with nature and hiking or biking. Don't want to be zipping around everyday and would like the chance to just chill, and I'm sure the teen will tire of art and museums.

Does it make sense to have Florence as a base? Recommendations for other centrally located towns? Suggestions for day trips and how to plan? Might consider Orvieto on the way to Rome, does this make sense?

I appreciate any input from you seasoned travelers. Thanks!!
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:05 PM

I think that your two nights in Venice, maybe a bit jet lagged, is cutting it a bit short. Venice is great fun for kids, no traffic, safe, wander around, get lost.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Peter about Venice. Two nights is just one full day, and there's a lot to see. You may not be ready for a long, busy day.

Your time in Florence is good unless your days include Sunday-Monday when some of the top sights and museums are closed. (If you look into this, you'll see that most are open alternate Sundays or Mondays, so you can go to some things but not others.) If you take a day trip, obviously that will reduce your sightseeing time IN Florence. A train ride to, say, the Cinque Terre on the coast will take upwards of 3 hours each direction, and it will be crowded when you get there. Only you can decide if that's how you want to spend your time.

Three nights in Rome will only allow you to scratch the surface. Personally, I would leave Pompeii for another trip when you can visit Naples, the Amalfi Coast and Capri. If you weren't aware, the artifacts from Pompeii are housed in the archeology museum in Naples.

Unless you can expand this trip to 14 days, perhaps you should prioritize your interests and consider whether to skip one of your three destinations. That would certainly allow for more 'down' time everywhere and a less hectic daily schedule.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice, really hope to we can swing 14 days. Looking at flights, might be better to fly in and out of Rome. Flights would be nonstop and looking at terrible connections for Venice from our neck of the woods in US. I heard Cinque Terre will be crowded, so not sure about that. Did not know about Pompeii and Naples artifacts. Any advice on Orvieto and Umbria region?
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 04:48 AM

In late June, only Venice, 5Terre, Florence, Pisa tower, Amalfi coast and parts of Rome and Lake Como will be crowded.
All other tourist places will be more or less empty.
But why don't you want do visit Rome? Plan at least 3 full days (4 nights) for that (without a 2 day trip to Naples - Pompei) or forget it.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 05:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pompeii will be 1) very hot and dry 2) full of tourists. There are better places to go

Venice flooding is due to a combo of high tide and some rain. https://www.visit-venice-italy.com/a...nice-italy.htm

Other places to stay apart from Florence; oh boy, have a look at the train system to Pisa and Lucca (both westerly out of Florence), choose an ancient city along the line and commute. Ok, you'll have never heard of these places but you'll love it. Try Prato.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on your follow-up comments, think about skipping Venice. (I can hear the Venice fans howling!!) It really requires a few days' visit to see the highlights. The train ride between Venice and Rome takes about 4 hours, so you'd lose more than half a day in transit.

Then you could create a nice 10-to-14-day itinerary that includes Rome, Florence and a bit of Tuscany or Umbria, and flying into and out of Rome would be easy.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 08:16 AM

If you have good flights in/out of Rome, I'd almost suggest simply staying there. Hate to say skip Venice but you could "sandwich" a couple or 3 days in between.

From Rome, there are (LOONG) day tours to Pompeii and Florence possible if you don't mind that idea. Google what to do in and around Rome and you'll be amazed.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Okay after more research, I think it's possible to fly into Venice. Looks like cheapest fares put us 15 nights total and with money saved, we'll have more for lodging. Based on that, your responses, and a little more research, here's the updated plan:
3 nights in Venice at Air BnB
5 (possible 4) nights in Florence at Air BnB
--1 day excursion/bike tour
3 (possible 2) nights in Orvieto at Argritourism BnB
4 (possible 5) nights in Rome at probably a hotel but open for suggestions
--1 loong day excursion to Pompeii and Positano

Would it be better to stay 5 nights in Florence and 4 in Rome or visa versa or maybe another night to Venice? Is 3 nights in Orvieto too much? I thought that it would allow a day to relax. Love the suggestions for the small towns, so maybe 5 nights in Florence with another day trip to smaller town. I realize we're hitting all the crowded areas, but also want to see the "must see" areas with easy access to public transportation. As I don't know when we will return, I figure Pompeii and AC should be on the list. Any input on Air BnB's in Venice and Florence, from what I've seen there's lots of seemingly reputable options. Thanks again, for all the tips!!

Last edited by JulieRoe; Dec 1st, 2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Going to look into Prato. Yes, have read up on flooding and not such an issue Figured my 16 year old would appreciate Pompeii and we're used to hot summers, will look into it a little more though. I would love to see the coast though and Positano looks beautiful!
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM

Acqua alta is practically unheard of in June and July. It has nothing to do with rain, just high tides and strong winds from the south, which push the water from the Adriatic into the lagoon.

When visiting Orvieto, I wouldn't stay in an agriturismo unless they offer transportation into the city. Orvieto is on top of a steep hill, and all the agriturismi are in the valley below. Also, you can easily see the city in one day, so three nights would be excessive, unless you have a car or some other organized activities.

I myself would prefer more time in Rome than in Florence, but it depends on your interests. If your kids have limited interest in art museums, Rome certainly has more things that would interest them. For one thing, in Rome there are various possibilities for bike tours, either in the Villa Borghese park, or on the Via Appia Antica and the Aqueduct park.

Rome also has many interesting archaeological sites. The ancient Roman port city of Ostia Antica, for example, is larger than Pompeii, much less crowded, less hot, and right within the Rome city limits. In some ways it's more interesting than Pompeii, because it was an active port city for hundreds of years. You can get more out of it with a tour guide. You should engage a guide in advance, because they don't have guides on the spot.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may want a pool/sea trip at the agriturismo.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:55 AM

JulieRoe, I'm so glad you can fly into Venice and out of Rome!

I agree with bvlenci regarding Orvieto. That could be a day trip from Rome. But DH and I liked Pompeii more--to each his own.

Did you actually find a tour to Pompeii AND Positano? I think that would be too much for one day but others can confirm. I also would add more days to Rome. So much to see. Was going to suggest Appian way but see bvlenci mentioned that as well.

Looking forward to reading about your trip.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

found one with a pool
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 03:06 AM

Whatever itinerary you select, my suggestion is NO AirBnB. Any site in Italy, and that is especially true in cities like Rome, Florence, venice, is full of "hidden gems" that are often even better that the famous places. I can tell you mostly about rome because I am Roman, for sure the appian Way deserves a visit even before the Colosseum. And the best restaurants are those where locals go, so not necessarely in the center. You will need, therefore, someone to talk with, including other visitors that you meet where you will be lodging. Take a hotel or a bed & breakfast.
About Rome: consider that there are something like 10-20 thousands places of interest.
I would consider the idea of having just Venice at the beginning, may be 3 nights, and Rome and the end, 4 or 5 nights. In the middle rent a car and you might stop in Verona, Matua, Ferrara, somewhere in Tuscany so that you can visit florence. From Rome consider a day trip to Tivoli, Villa Adriana and Villa d'Este.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 04:48 AM

A day trip from Rome to Pompei and a visit of the National Archeoolgical Museum at Naples (which is a must if you want to understand how Pompei really looked) is not impossible but very strenuous: leave Rome very early in the morning and come back late in the night.
A visit of Pompei, archeological Museum AND Positano is impossible or just a nonsense.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! I plan to look into the day trips you recommended from Rome. We may skip Pompeii.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 03:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be really careful about AirBnB's in a country you have never visited before. There's just so much more that can go wrong than when you stay at a hotel.

I hope you do keep Venice
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 10:12 PM

I am of the one full day in Venice is sufficient tribe. IMO, everyone should see it for that one day, then leave.

We adore Florence. I could linger for days just meandering and eating. While in Florence we booked an all day tour that included Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano with Lunch and Wine in Chianti through Get Your Guide which proved useful in several places in Europe, usually with better prices than offered on Viator or other vendors. The tour was indeed an all day affair, but enjoyable.
Another vote for visiting Osta Antica - very different from Pompeii, much easier to reach. We hired a local guide who was excellent. Pompeii is also a cool place to visit, but be prepared for crowds and intense heat (sunscreen, hats, lots of water) and the better part of the day getting there and back.

We have had great luck with AirBnB in both Rome and Florence. The apartment in Rome last August was especially great for our stay with 18 year old niece - we each had our own bedroom and bathroom in a super location and a tremendous host.
BTW, uber in Rome really sucks. Suggest you download the app for itTaxi (preferred by Rome taxi drivers) or FreeNow (mytaxi) if you plan to use that kind of transport. Also used it in Florence.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 10:28 PM

One day in Venice tends to end up being 100% of the bad and very little of the good.

Even if you catch an early train into the city and a late one out you'll be there with the worst of the crowds. Likely trying to do the very things they are.

If you don't mind waking up early or staying up late there is a big difference between mornings and evenings in Venice when the hordes of day trippers have left

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -