Italy vacation fight

Jan 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Italy vacation fight

ok..I have found reasonable air flying into either Rome or Milan...returning from Milan. We (my Husband and I) want to spend the last of our 2 week trip in Cinque Terre. Now..the fun starts. Where to fill in the days. We have been to Italy several times. Husband does not want to do Rome/Florence. I thought that Lake Como or Lago would be nice..we have been to Maggiore before. This does not seem to appeal to my husband. Do you see a fight brewing here??? Looking for smaller towns, travel by train...any thoughts? I have been looking at Bergamo..but at this point am confused. I also thought to fly to Rome..spend a few days in Orvieto..possible day trips from there..and move north after that. As you can see..I need Help...I'm counting on you. I enjoy anything..museums, churches, food,mountains, vino...any guidance much appreciated.
Jan 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM

What are your husband's interests?

If you want to stick to northern Italy, you might find this video interesting:

http://www.pilotguides.com/tv_shows/...hern_italy.php

I got it from the library and thought it was well-done and funny, and the places all looked interesting.

Hope you can resolve this without a fight. I think there are so many interesting-sounding places you can't go wrong, even if you went with your husband's choices only.
Jan 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Does husband offer any clues as to what he IS interested in? It sounds like no cities and no lakes. How about Siena? Rent a car and drive around Tuscany, exploring Etrustcan graves and tasting wines and olive oils?

Barring this, how do you feel about solo travel? (just kidding)
Jan 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes. the Dolomites is something of interest..I guess my concern is traveling by train, how difficult is this? We have done the Siena trip before..so he is looking for something "different". The Dolomites then traveling south toward Parma,Modena sounds good, then back toward the coast to end in Cinque Terre. Guess I need to look at some train schedules....any help is appreciated. Thanks All... and grasshoppper...yeah I have thought of a solo trip...but only a thought
Jan 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM

In northern Italy, how about Bologna? There's another thread going here about John Grisham's latest novel, "The Broker,"much of which is set in Bologna. I haven't been there, but reading Grisham's book makes me want to go!

Of course, it's not a small town, but it might be a good base for exploring towns in the north by train.
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM

We stayed in Spoleto for a few nights on our last trip to Italy. It was only a 60 minute train ride from Rome so it is easy to get to. It was NOT touristy AT ALL! In fact it was one of the most "real" cities in Italy we went to where there weren't post cards and souvenier shops everywhere. It was romantic and charming. You can easily take day trips from there to Orvieto and Assisi. We liked those cities too. Just an idea to consider.

Maybe try somewhere in Umbria (Orvieto/Spoleto) for 3 nights, move on up to Lucca for a few nights, then up to the lakes and CT.

Another great, romantic NOT touristy city was Camogli. It is right next to Portofino. No real tourists there. It was so beautiful. It is about 1 hr and 15 min train ride from CT. It may be worth a day trip for something different.

Good luck settling on something...just remember, you will be in Italy. You will enjoy any city you go to !
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Lots of good suggestions above. I think you should both get on the plane, get there, have a good meal with a nice bottle of vino, and discuss it then!

Oh to have such problems!
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:28 PM

You say that you've been to Italy several times, but don't mention what cities and areas. So, what about Tuscany and Umbria or the Amalfi Coast or the Bologna area or Venice?
Jan 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM

How about Isola d'elba? The island of Elba has several towns. We chose Porto Azzurro which was quiet, quaint and serene. You need to arrive at Piombino where you catch a ferry. (as I recall, Piombino wasn't too far by train from Pisa)
Feb 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Message: Well..I certainly have a few things to think about... I have decided that for myself, that I would like to see Lake Como..if I can find a place to stay that will not cost a fortune. From there, possibly Verona and daytrip to Bologna and surrounding area...have to check the train schedule ..then back toward Cinque Terre. I am also giving Elba a look, never thought of that, if not for this trip, then maybe another. Can't believe how costly things have become, good thing wine is still cheap