Italy Vacation

Sep 20th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Original Poster
Italy Vacation

Hi Fellow Travelers
I will be traveling to Italy Sept 2018 with the thought of visiting Cinque Terre 3 days, Milan 3 days, Florence 7 days (with day trip to Siena} and finally 7 days in a agriturismo somewhere near the border of Tuscany and Umbria. So, question 1....should I overnight outside of the Cinque Terre or in one of the 5 towns? Question 2...any recommendations on an area for the agriturismo to take advantage of Tuscany and Umbria hill towns? Lastly, my wife will be returning home after three weeks and I will continue for an additional 2 weeks. I will spend the final week in Rome before returning home but for the previous week, I am looking for a beach week. Question 4, any advice on this week? This would be the 1st or 2nd week in October. During this trip, I will take advantage of both train and auto. My plan is to fly into Milan and out of Rome.
Thank you
Sep 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM
You need to narrow your focus re Tuscany and Umbria and pick some specific towns or areas within the two regions that you want to see. There is no one place/agriturismo that will give you good access to all of both Tuscany and Umbria which combined total more than 12,000 square miles.

For the coastal destination, I'd head to Naples, Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi Coast. You wouldn't need a car. Or I'd go to Sardinia and wander in a car if "the beach" is the priority.
Sep 20th, 2017, 05:32 PM
>>>I am looking for a beach week. Question 4, any advice on this week? <<<

You might need to get pretty far south to find a beach week in Oct.

As for cars, the only time a car would be beneficial is your Tuscany week. Most of the other places you listed, you aren't allowed to drive in the centers.
Sep 20th, 2017, 05:52 PM
If you aren't planning to do a lot of hiking, staying in the villages of le Cinque Terre can be limiting, especially when it rains. If you want to see a side of the Riviera known mainly to Italians it's better to stay outside the villages. However. it can also make sense to stay in the villages and if you aren't fond of crowds of fellow tourists, use the trains to go lunching in some lovely places, and then return to le Cinque Terre after day trippers have left.

Can't help you with a specific agriturismo but looking around the towns of Montone and Panicale in Umbria would position you well if you want to see the some of the most iconic sights & scenery of southern Tuscany & central Umbria.

If you are lucky with weather you should do fine with a beach week in October anywhere south of Rome. Question is: Are you really looking forward to being a beach bum? (In which case I'd pick Sperlonga or the island of Ischia) or would you like access to terrific sights of art & istory (in which case I'd pick beaches quite near Naples or Salerno) or do you like luxury tourism with dramatic beauty (the Amalfi Coast/Capri).

Search this Thread