Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   italy trip - skip venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-trip-skip-venice-830869/)

ara824 Mar 14th, 2010 08:54 AM

italy trip - skip venice?

I'm going to Italy for the first time at the end of April / beginning of May. We'd like to make it to the Amalfi coast, but also see the major sights. Would it be disastrous to make an itinerary that includes Florence, Rome and Amalfi, and leave out Venice altogether? We will have about 8 days in Italy in total.

I've heard mixed things about venice, some say its smelly and overrun with tourists... and we've heard such great things about Amalfi.

thanks!

jnjfraz Mar 14th, 2010 09:01 AM

I feel that Venice is overrun with tourists and some months can be really really hot and humid.(not the first of May) That being said I've taken more pictures there than anywhere. If it were my first trip to Italy I would go to Rome, Florence and Venice. Even if you are there for just one night. A great approach would be to fly into Rome and fly out of Venice or visa versa.

Amalfi is also beautiful, but probably should be saved for another trip.

ThinGorjus Mar 14th, 2010 09:04 AM

You can't possibly see Rome, Florence, the Amalfi Coast, and Venice in 8 days. Impossible. Are you forgetting about travel time?

You could spend 10 days in Rome and still not see everything.

If I had only 8 days, I would stay in Rome for those 8 days and take a day trip to Florence from Termini.

What you have planned is an extremely hectic, stressful, and not very enjoyable itinerary.

Thin

Jean Mar 14th, 2010 09:15 AM

The Amalfi Coast can also be overrun with tourists. Ditto Florence and Rome. And 8 days is not very much time.

I agree with jnjfraz about looking into open-jaw flight options but include Naples and Florence in your research. Your goal should be no back-tracking to catch a flight.

Assuming you'll be traveling by train between cities, you should also know the time needed to do this as you're developing your plan. Here's a link to the train timetables:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Jean Mar 14th, 2010 09:21 AM

Hmmm. One paragraph of my post evaporated.

Thin is absolutely correct that you can't possibly see Venice, Rome, Florence and the Amalfi Coast in 8 days. Even three destinations will provide only a brief overview of each. I'd pick two cities, fly into one and out of the other, train between. Which two is up to you and your flight options.

adrienne Mar 14th, 2010 09:35 AM

I'm partial to Venice and think it shouldn't be missed. I also love Rome and Florence; don't have a lot of experience with the Amalfi coast but it's my least favorite of these 4 places.

I've been to Venice in May, June, and October and never found it to be overrun with tourists, except for St. Mark's square.

I think Venice would be very relaxing after busy Rome or Florence but would only recommend 2 places in 8 days.

Cally Mar 14th, 2010 09:50 AM

I would not miss Venice. It is the most unique city in the world and, smelly or not, it will leave a lasting imprfession.

Arrnge to fly into Venice. Spend two days there, then catch the train to Florence. Three days in Florence, perhaps taking a day trip one day to San Gimignano or Greve, Ravenna, even Sienna). Then take the high speed train from Florence to Rome, and spend the rest of youer vacation in Rome. Arrange flight home to leave from Rome.

I have done virtually this exact trip (mine was 10 days, and we spent a couple of days in lower Tuscany). It was a fabulous "sampler" of Italy, perfect for your first trip there. You will not feel particularly rushed with this itinerary, although you will certainly crave more time, especially in Florence and Rome.

Enjoy!

Cally Mar 14th, 2010 09:51 AM

Oh yeah, and save Amalfi for your next visit!

one2travel Mar 14th, 2010 10:02 AM

I agree with Cally, I personally wouldn't miss Venice. It is unique. I flew into Venice and out of Rome. I spent a couple days in Venice and then took the train to Florence, spent 1 night there (not really enough time - I'd recommend two nights) and then went to Rome. Forget the side trips into the countryside - stick to the three cities. I'd call this an Italy sampler - you will be back.
Deb

zeppole Mar 14th, 2010 10:05 AM

Why don't you go where you want to go?

There is nothing "disastrous" about doing that.

A great many people feel a trip to Italy must involve doing things they don't ordinarily enjoy doing, like spending days at a time examining paintings and buildings from the past, or being in crowds of tourists because supposedly the experience is worth it.

If anything is "disastrous" it's spending hard-earned money trying to pass a schoolmarm's test when -- guess what? -- when you get home, no one will give the test, and you'll just be out the money.

Venice in spring is seldom smelly. "Overrun" is a subjective term, but you will encounter fewer tourist in the Amalfi in spring.

If spending time in museums is not how you spend your free time in the states, you might want to go to Florence as a day trip from Rome (90 minutes on the train), and keep your 8 day trip simple; Rome and the Amalfi.

nytraveler Mar 14th, 2010 10:06 AM

If you only have 8 days on the ground I would limit yourself to 2 places. To really see anything of Rome you need a minimum of 3 days (4 nights) - but really a day or two more is better.

I would make you second stop Florence - with a couple of days in the city and a couple of day trips to Tuscan hill towns.

I think your dates are kind of early for the Amalfi coast (you won;t be able to swim, although you can tour) - but what do you intend to do there? If you want to see Pompeii you can do it as a very long day trip from Rome. You could see Capri and visit a couple of the small cliff towns - but it's largely beach resort when it's too cold for swimming.

The time of year you're going should have pleasant weather can be busy but not frantic as in summer.

iris1745 Mar 14th, 2010 10:11 AM

Hi; Been to Italy eight times, but our first trip stayed in Rome for a week. Do you expect to return to Italy? If not, do the three cities, open jaw, as was suggested. Amalfi is wonderfull, but you can't do it all in eight days. Richard

NYCFoodSnob Mar 14th, 2010 10:16 AM

8 days in Italy is nothing. It goes by very fast and doesn't permit much relaxation time. Trying to cram three major cities into an 8-day visit is OVERKILL. You won't get to see much, you will endure an exhausting itinerary, and you probably won't remember much after you leave.

That said, the end of April/early May is one of the most desirable times to be in Italy. Yes, there will be tourists but their numbers are much less (fewer children). And since prices are very high at this time, the quality of tourist can be quite enjoyable.

Venice and the Amalfi Coast are FABULOUS at this time of year. So is Tuscany. Rome is also gorgeous. You can achieve great reward by narrowing your focus and picking one or two places that make sense. You won't regret spending four nights in two places. And then in the future, come back to Italy to experience the rest.

<i><font color=#777777>"I've heard mixed things about venice, some say its smelly and overrun with tourists... "</font></i>

All this statement says is that you're inexperienced and ill-informed. One could say the same thing about NYC in August (and it would be true). Any major European city on a hot summer day is going to be smelly and overrun with tourists. Get real and get smarter. The sooner the better.

zeppole Mar 14th, 2010 10:40 AM

ara824,

People are giving you recommendations as if they were based on something objective -- such as "Venice and the Amalfi are FABULOUS at this time of year."

Apart from seeing the artwork in Venice and pretty views of the sea and cliffs, I find both of them really annoying, touristy destinations full of pushy tourists. (Can you hear the pushing in this thread?)

I realized you asked to be told what to do -- so people are telling you to behave like they would. It's understandable, but it is mythical that there are tried-and-true ways to visit Italy, for the first time or the 10th time.

I encourage you to go where you want to go, including Venice if you are afraid not to, or now that you hear it won't be smelly, you want to.

But while there is a limit to how fast you can get about in terms of transportation and miles, there are otherwise no "objectively proven" ways to see Italy built upon ideas like "These towns go first, everybody likes that, this can't be missed by anybody, this time is right for that"

None of that has any basis in reality other than people's heads.

zeppole Mar 14th, 2010 10:43 AM

nycfoodsnob,

somehow I find inexperienced and ill-informed more appealing than experienced and ill-formed, and ill-mannered.

JulieAgain Mar 14th, 2010 10:52 AM

Hubby & I have been to Italy many times. But like you, on our first trip, we included many cities in our 12 days on the ground. We did so just to get an idea of what we liked best for a return visit. Now, & for many years, we only visit Rome & Venice (with day trips sometimes).

So, maybe your idea of a whirlwind tour is not such a bad idea for getting a brief glimpse of several areas. But it is not a good idea for actually experiencing much - which is ok, if that is what you want.

However, here is my suggestion - when I know of someone, like yourself, who wants to do a whirlwind tour, I suggest an inclusive bus tour (hotel/meal/sites/transportation); Globus or Trafalger are good ones with good hotels, meals, tour guides, itinerary, & inclusive sites (can get 10% discount at affordabletours.com). You will see so much more of Italy with a guided (inclusive or not inclusive) bus tour than you can ever see on your planned itinerary. The bus tour itineraries are planned so that you do not spend more than 2 hours at a time on the bus, and you gain almost immediate access at most sites; avoiding the lines & time waste; no time wasted waiting in airports/train stations between cities; driven to & picked up from the door of all sites, hotels, restaurants, shopping. The people you meet on the bus are a lot of fun (if you are a fun person). The bus company takes care of everything - no responsibility for the first timer. Obviously, there is the downside of too little time spent where you want, & some time spent where you do not want. But you will get that on your planned itinerary anyway, & will not cover near as much Italian territory.

Since we had less than 2 weeks for our first trip to Italy, we took a Globus tour for our first time only, & I'm so glad that we did. We visited Capri, Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi, and parts of Tuscany - had a memorable under the stars dinner in a Tuscan vineyard with the most lucious food & enjoyable local musicians. We had excellent guided tours to all of the most visited sites in those cities. So, for your whirlwind tour, you might consider this option.

Re: Venice - we have been there too many times to count in the spring & fall - have never, ever experienced bad smells from the canals. Maybe that only occurs during hot, humid, summer days? On our first visit we did all of the tourist things, which were less crowded at those times of years, but still crowded. If you don't like crowds, do as we do, & stay out of the tourist areas - there is plenty to enjoy in the other areas.

Re: May - spring & fall are the best times to go to Italy, IMO. Less crowds & heat; prices cheaper.

Enjoy your trip. Whatever you decide, it can't be bad - afterall, you will be in Italy!

Julie

suze Mar 14th, 2010 10:54 AM

Personally I would not miss Venice, but that's just me. I have been twice, both times in August as it happened, and thought it was incredibly wonderful and beautiful. Sure there were plenty of other tourists, but that's because it is an AMAZING place. Neither other tourists or the heat of summer ruined it for me.

8 days is a pretty short trip, again personal choice but I'd probably only pick 2 places (or maybe 3 if you did Venice, Florence, Rome only because they are easy & reasonably quick to get to by train).

NYCFoodSnob Mar 14th, 2010 10:59 AM

<i><font color=#777777>"People are giving you recommendations as if they were based on something objective -- such as "Venice and the Amalfi are FABULOUS at this time of year."</font></i>

Beware of stale, greasy <i>sfinges</i> with mustaches. Nobody knows FABULOUS like the SNOB.

<i><font color=#777777>"somehow I find inexperienced and ill-informed more appealing than experienced and ill-formed, and ill-mannered."</font></i>

No wonder you don't like yourself.

ellenem Mar 14th, 2010 11:19 AM

Since you mention Florence, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast as your true interests, then I say stick with them. I love Venice--been there a dozen times, but to include it would take away from your true interests.

Can you be even more specific and consider what it is that appeals to you about Florence Rome, and the Amalfi Coast? As others have said even 8 days is not a lot of time to visit these places, especially when you consider relocating from hotel to hotel will take up at least half a day each time you do so.

You might consider staying just in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but allow enough time in Rome to take a daytrip by train to Florence if you feel the desire to do so once you are there.

ara824 Mar 14th, 2010 11:34 AM

thanks for all the replies. i'm basically looking to soak in a little culture, but at the same time have some time on a beach with nice scenery.

maybe i will just plan for rome + amalfi only. I could save florence and venice for some other trip (i'm young!). is rome + amalfi doable in 8 days? I am not the type of person that has to see every tourist attraction on the list in rome.