Italy Trip September 2019

Mar 3rd, 2019, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Italy Trip September 2019

We are thinking of booking a flight to Rome from 9/8/19 - 9/26/19. My goal was to rent a car and head south and possibly ending up in Sicily. My wife is set on going to Milan to see the Last Supper and Lake Como. My thought was to rent the car for 2 weeks for the southern portion of the trip and dropping it off in Rome and taking the train to Milan for that portion of the trip.

As background, we have been to Rome and Florence twice and Venice3 times and the Cinque Terrace once. Also, we have taken a number of trips where we have traveled quicker and seen more places than most people would schedule.

We would stay out of Naples with the car. My question whether it would be cheaper to ferry the car to Sicily or park it and rent a car in Sicily. I realize that I would have to check to see if the rental company to see if they allow ferrying the car. I am an experienced driver in Europe and have driven in the mountains in Greece and Croatia.

My thought would be to see Mount Vesuvius and the Amalfi Coast and some of the towns on the southeast coast and do some swimming if we get lucky with the weather.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Mar 3rd, 2019, 06:24 AM

I think it's about $40 extra to ferry the car but make sure your rental company allows it. Having lived on islands, I know getting on and off car ferries does increase the risk of car damage. I also recommend the highlybregarded AutoEurope as a broker for car rentals. They have great customer service and can easily be reached at their Portland, Maine, offices for questions like this. If the only issue was the ferry cost, I would consider the time and hassle involved in dropping off the car, getting to the ferry, getting from the ferry and re-renting a second car.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 06:56 AM

Check one way rates with Autoeurope.com. If you can take the car on a ferry, see if you can drop it off in Sicily and look for a cheap intra-European flight to get to Milan. Naples is worth a visit, so you might want to take the train from Rome to Naples, visit Naples, Herculaneum and Pompeii (we did it in one day by train), and then pick up a car for your drive farther south. Get a Fiat 500 or equivalent to negotiate the narrow roads more comfortably. The Fiat will hold two 22" suitcases in the trunk:

Last edited by Michael; Mar 3rd, 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 07:03 AM

I may be in the minority, but if you include Lake Como I think this is a lot of geography to cover in 2+ weeks. We spent nearly 2 weeks in Sicily on our first trip, and exploring Lake Como could easily take 3-4 days. Were you intending to drive to Milan and Lake Como?

if the Last Supper is the only/primary reason to go to Milan, you should be sure to get viewing tickets as soon as it's possible.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 07:06 AM

RyanAir flies for next to nothing from Catania to Milan. Drop the car in Sicily and fly to Milan. Rail to Varenna and use ferries to explore the mid-section of Como. Click on our link to see what you can do on Lake Como in a couple of days.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 07:09 AM

We have driven from FCO to Sperlonga, a beach town that might be a good first resting place. It will be warm, and the summer beach crowds should be gone at least by the end of your first day.

Driving along the coast from say Castellabate to Tropea will take a long time, but it’s spectacular, high cliffs, winding roads, some road issues. The alternative is better roads inland.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 08:09 AM

Taking a car on and off a ferry also takes a lot of time. I've seen cars queued hours before departure. I myself would probably drop the car at the ferry port and rent a different car for Sicily. Then drop the second car to fly to Milan. You don't need a car for either Milan or Lake Como.

However, I also agree that this is a bit much for a two-week trip. You might consider going to Sardegna instead. There are flights to Sardegna from Rome and ferries from Civitavecchia, the ferry port for Rome. A week would be a decent amount of time for Sardegna. There are great beaches and scenery there. That's where all the Italian politicians and CEOs spend their summer holidays. Of course, in September, they're all back at their desks pretending to work.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:03 AM
kja

IME, seeing just the highlights of Sicily takes at least 2, if not 2.5, weeks. Seeing the highlights of Naples and the Amalfi Coast takes at least a week or week and a half. With the time you have, I'm sure you can see some lovely things, but you would need to skip a LOT and spend a LOT of time in transit for the few places you would actually visit. You might want to consider a more limited itinerary.
Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:37 AM

We spent a week in Sicily and felt we saw very little, so are planning another week to ten days this year. IMHO, if you want to see much on the Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri), plus perhaps Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples, a full week is necessary.

Consider the AC first, without a car. Fly into Naples. It is a smaller, well located airport, easy in and out. Then fly or ferry (easy port to get in and out of) from Naples to Sicily and rent a car there.