Reload this Page >

Italy Trip Report: Part I General Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Barb

Mille grazie to all of you Fodorites! I planned my trip for over 4 months, using this website and your input. Although I've traveled internationally before, nothing made me feel as prepared as the comments and info gained here. My goal for my trip report is not just to report what I saw, but to give a few hints(many of them started here) that might help others.<BR><BR>Guidebooks--Don't try to buy every book printed; they repeat themselves after a while, and very little new info is gleaned by reading 4 or 5 general books. Go to the library first, peruse their books, take a few home, and if you find yourself wanting to highlight a section or make notes, you probably need to put it on your must buy list. I like the Fodors or Frommers books for all around general info, but be aware that Frommer publishes more than one general guidebook on a country, usually the "Country<BR>on $ Per Day is more consistent from country to country on the type of material and info covered. I use this guide for pre-trip planning, including learning a little history and geography, and as a reference<BR>for lists of museums, important sights, hotels, restaurants, and valuable website addresses. AAA has Spiral Guides that are thorough and compact for carrying daily. They are written by neighborhood or area, and include suggested itineraries for walks. I also love the Eyewitness Guides To Travel by Dorling Kindersley. Yes, I know they are heavy, but I don't care--the pictures of historic buildings are wonderful. I actually left it in the hotel room many days, but used it at night to "study" for the next day's visits. This book does not take the place of a general guide for hotels and restaurants. I know many other travelers will insist that they have other favorites, but these work for me. Also, a laminated city map for each city--Streetwise and B & B City Streets are both good.<BR><BR>The actual flights over and back:<BR>There have been good threads on this subject, including jet-lag, sleeping patterns etc., but I want to emphasize a couple of things: Pack a backpack or carry-on with the following items:<BR>1. A bottle of water-start drinking water early and often, and ask for a replacement or to have it refilled.<BR>2. Reading material--On the trip over, I was fine with guidebooks, (I was still planning) but on the trip home, which is usually during the day, I would have liked a light novel. I figured I could buy one at the airport, but there were no English language books for sale in the Venice airport, only a few magazines. So carry a book or buy one at Feltrinelli's or another international store while in Italy.<BR>3. Take a little snack--crackers, fruit, chocolate. Your body may not always like the time they choose to feed you. Remember to discard fruit on the plane at your destination since it can't go through customs.<BR>4. Take a blow-up pillow, eyemask, slipper socks, and ear plugs for the flight over, they really do help you sleep. Consider asking your doctor for a mild sleeping pill such as Ambien, I found it helped.<BR>5. Prescription medications and comfort items such as eyedrops, tissues, throat lozenges, antacids, and hand lotion should be in your pack.<BR>6. Set your watch for the correct time at the destination as soon as you get on the plane, and start thinking in holiday time, not home time.<BR>7. If your flight is to a location with more than 6 hours time difference and is an overnight flight, you may want to eat a meal at the airport after checking in. For example, I live on the east coast and flew to Italy, leaving at 5:30 PM est. When I reset my watch, it was already 11.30 PM in Rome. The meal they served on the plane was at around 1:30 am Rome time, so I skipped it<BR>and I don't think I missed much by snoozing instead. Breakfast before landing was welcome, and I really think this helped to reset my bodyclock.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:33 PM
elaine

Barb<BR>great specifics, thanks for this and the other posting

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
ana

Great tips Barb. How was the weather? I've heard is been raining a lot in Venice. <BR>If so, let me add my two cents to your lista and add to your backpack a folding umbrella.<BR>Ana<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Barb

Thanks, Ana, an umbrella is important, but I was lucky and didn't need it during my stay. 2 other things for every day in the pack: sunglasses and a phrasebook. I bought the little electronic translator, but found that the phrasebook was still more practical.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Electronicwizard

Which electronic translator did you try?<BR>I'm thinking of getting one. Price info?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Kathi

Barb,<BR>I live on the east coast as well. (PA) We will be flying to Rome in May leaving at 5:30 PM. I was wondering what you did the first day you arrived? Did you rest or nap or just go to bed early? I was just curious, because I've heard different opinions on this site about it. Thanks!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Barb

My electronic translator is by Lingo. It was about $40, and has 6 languages: English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and German. I didn't find it as useful as my phrasebook, but that may just be old habit.<BR><BR>Kathi--We arrived in Rome at 9:15, then went to the apartment we had rented. We unpacked, went out for lunch, then spent an hour or so midafternoon resting(but not sleeping) while we waited for our friends to arrive from Florence. We spent several hours just walking around, over to Trastevere, and had dinner there. By 10 pm, we were ready for a good night's sleep, and didn't have any trouble adjusting to the change in time.