Italy trip in August-September

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Italy trip in August-September

We are a retired couple who are coming to Europe for the first time together (been to UK together once). I backpacked in Greece 40 years ago and hiked 7 days the Camino Ingles 2 years ago. But we are looking at more traditional travel and preparing to act our age most of the time.

Here is our itinerary:

3 nights: Venice Arrive 11:10 am on Thursday, 8/23 (3 days)

Depart on 7 night Norweigan Cruise Sunday afternoon 8/26-9/2 Venice to Venice (ports: Dubrovnik, Kotor Split, Athens, Olympia)

3 nights CT (Vernazza) 9/2-5 (2 days for hiking/sightseeing)

7 nights Rome 9/5-12 (6 Ĺ days)

9/12 depart Rome at 5 pm for Los Angeles

Now Iím down to the details. Here are several questions I would welcome feedback on--

1. We have refundable reservations for the 7 nights in Rome for 2 places, and need to weigh the pros and cons of the locations. A hostel with kitchen use in Travestere or a B&B studio with kitchenette on Via Germanico in Vatican City area. We will be out and about a lot, and either would meet our needs for some leftovers to keep us from overindulging. So itís more a case of which location will maximize our walking/transit options as we cover as many sights as we have energy for.

2. We are considering a Friday night Vatican Tour and/or Saturday all day tour with train out to the gardens. Any thoughts?

3. We are interested in going to Ostia Antica one day, and welcome suggestions about other out of the way places to visit in the vicinities of Rome, CT, or Venice that donít involve a lot of extra travel that will allow us to savor the presence of antiquities.

4. We are also vegan, but we are flexible when traveling (read ďvegetarianĒ) and can usually find something on most menus that will work for us. Any suggestions of great vegan friendly restaurants in Venice, CT or Rome would be welcome. (We will be flexible in CT, and will use the time to walk off/lose some of the Cruise weight gain and rely on trail mix if vegetarian options are limited.)

5. Given the time constraints on Venice, we would welcome suggestions by day to do as much as possible from Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. What should be early am/late evening to minimize high season crowds, waits in lines & heat! We are staying at Royal San Marco. (Note: we are arriving from 5 nights layover in Ireland so our jetlag should be much less than from US.)

6. Any other advice on what to pack OR better yet, what NOT to pack.

Thanks much for all the great advice Iíve already gleaned from the Forums. Apologies for packing in so many questions to this post.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Well, one thing clear - cars are useless for places you are going - take train Venice to CT and CT to Rome - cars are awfuy in cities and in many can't even be driven by tourists -book trains well in advance at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia for discounted fares over walk-up ones (always possible though) - sites telling lots about Italian trains - https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. I'd maybe cut a day off CT and do Florence for at least a day.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 01:01 PM

1. I have not been to Rome, but the studio sounds much more pleasant than a hostel, so that decision would be easy. I have also read about the neighborhood around the Vatican and noted it as an area I would like to stay.
https://katieparla.com/rome-walking-...onfale-market/
https://www.bonappetit.com/restauran...e-vatican-rome

4. If you are going to eat vegetarian, you will have no trouble. It is simply one of the best places for a vegetarian who loves vegetables (maybe only second to Greece!)
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM

If the idea of Rome is to see the historic sites of central Rome the Vatican is off on the edge. Not that the other location is right smack in the middle either. Go to google maps and plot out some walks to the things you want to see. Personally I could walk from either but I'm not sure if you want to turn the visit into a mini Camino

Pack light. All you need are your clothes. Does the studio have a washing machine? Other than that good shoes. Your Camino experience likely taught you that. Both Rome and Venice are best experienced on foot. You shouldn't need anything warm that time of year. Rain isn't a huge issue.

If you're bringing electronics than a plug adapter. Make sure the device is 220V capable.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 11:58 PM

You'll find https://www.happycow.net/ a useful tool to find pure vegeterian or vegan restaurants, but Italians are well versed in the subject so most places will find you more than an omlette.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. We plan to do another trip to Florence next year with friends in cooler weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. We are leaning toward the Vatican location, as we just got confirmation that we have tickets for the Scavi Tour. And by staying close, we can break up the trips so we can do the Basilica at an off time and not get overwhelmed with one long day.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Actually, the hostel has the laundry facilities, not the studio which was an appeal. But as on the camino I bring stuff I can wash and dry in the shower. Thanks for the packing reminders.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. We live by Happy Cow here at home, but last time we traveled overseas they weren't that helpful. But as I look now, they are catching up.