Madrid, Seville, Granda, Cordoba

Old Nov 12th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid, Seville, Granda, Cordoba

So this trip came about because BA had a great sale on airfare to London in the Business Cabin... I bought and figured I could come up with a plan.

I originally planned Paris and probably Barcelona, but.... the best laid plans are subject to change and I think both of these are off the table.

I have 8 nights in Spain. Note that I have been to all of these places before but it's been a while. I genrally like a little longer, but.

So here's my current thought

Saturday - fly to Seville (This may not be feasible... will have to keep looking at flights and times.. If not I would have to fly to Madrid and train to Seville, not sure about that idea!)
Sunday Sleep in Seville
Monday - Train to Granada
Tuesday - Granada
Wednesday Train to Cordoba (sleep there)
Thursday Train to Madrid
Friday Madrid
Saturday - Madrid
Sunday fly to London
Monday fly home.

I keep considering skipping either Seville. For some reason I really want to go back to Granada. What do you think? It looks like most of the train rides would be in the 3 hour range so that's doable, but I know I am giving up a lot of time moving around.

So here's my 2nd idea

Saturday - Arrive Madrid, spend night there. (It's going to be around 5 when I get there)
Sunday Train to Granada - Sleep there
Monday - Sleep in Granada
Tuesday - Train to Cordoba , -sleep there
Wednesday Sleep in Cordoba (Not sure I really need two nights here...)
Thursday Train to Madrid Sleep there
Friday Madrid
Saturday - Madrid
Sunday fly to London
Monday fly home

(Yes I know it would have more sense to fly into and out of different airports in Spain, but sometimes the "cheap fare"wins. I had to book that day before the sale ended )
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 08:44 AM

I don't understand why flying to Seville from London would not be feasible? Several airlines do it, including Easyjet and BA from Gatwick. Even Ryanair flies that route a couple days a week.

I fail to see the point of flying into Seville only to leave the next day, however, I would never do that.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM

#2 is better. As Christina said, why bother to go to Seville only to leave the next day?
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 09:26 AM

check out buses for Seville to Granada as they I think may be faster than the train which takes a round-about route and can buy a cheap ticket once there. For other longer train trips book way early at www.renfe.com for discounted tickets - for general info on Spanish trains: www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Personally I'dspend two days in Cordoba over Granada as in one day I was hard pressed to see everything in Cordoba I wanted too - but since you've been to Granada you must like it - if so you will like Cordoba even more IME!
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Here's my current plan and it does exclude Granada. While I liked it I have just decided trying to squeeze it in isn''t going to work.

Saturday - Madrid
Sunday - Madrid
Monday- Madrid
Tuesday Madrid
Wednesday Train to Cordoba, sleep there.
Thursday Train to Seville
Friday Seville
Saturday Seville
Sunday Fly Seville to London

Flying London to Seville was problematic since my flight didn't land at LHR until 11:40, options out of LHR after that were more limited or arrived at midnight. Just not appealing (nor was transferring to another airport)

I have done Granda and Cordoba. Decided that I would just hold Granada from some other trip. I could short Madrid a day to do another day in Cordoba... but I may do a day trip to Toledo instead.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 10:54 AM

With 4 days in Madrid I would definitely do a day trip or cut a day off and put it in somewhere else - Toledo to me and many is so so wonderful - one of the nicest old-world cities in Europe and definitely an ABC city - Another Blood Church on every corner but one that dazzles inside with azulejo touches - gleaming gold-plated and such and Toledo is about an hour by rail from Madrid - a city that tires on me due to its IME obnoxious traffic and being thoroughly modern in many parts - unlike a Cordoba or a Seville, which I also loved and rave about.

To me relocating is a pain - consider Cordoba as a stop and put bags in locker and end up for the night in Seville perhaps or it is a short enough day trip from Seville.

A neat day trip from Seville could go to Jerez de la Frontera for the famous sherry houses and famed Andalucian horses riding school - practice sessions usually going on and can be viewed. Sherry is a British corruption of Jerez when the sherry industry was taken over by Brits seeking to slake the sherry appetite of little old ladies with whom is was or possible is a favorite.

Otherwise however I found Jerez to be an uneventful but OK regional town - about an hour by train from Seville.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 07:54 PM
kja

Since Madrid is the easiest of all of these cities to reach from the U.S., I personally would shortchange it before I shortchanged anything in harder-to-reach Andalusia -- JMO.But I agree that 3 nights in Seville makes more sense than just an overnight. I loved Cordoba and thought it worth 2 full days -- but you say you've already visited it? It sounded like you really wanted to make Granada a part of this trip, which you could easily do if you limit your time in Madrid. Toledo is definitely worth seeing IMO, and another of the places that I thought easily worth 2 full days. BTW, you could go straight from Madrid to Toledo... just an idea.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 02:14 AM

If you have been to Seville already and really want to return to Granada, do it. Granada is also one of my favorite cities and I would love to return. I don't know why either. I just feel drawn to it more than Seville.

Rather than all the nights in Madrid, why not spend at least one in Toledo. Quite atmospheric at night.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 02:42 AM

No Barcelona?
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Trip option 1 was Barcelona and Paris. I think I have decided to postpone that one for a while.

I actually love Madrid so I know I need a few days there.

The problem with replacing Seville with Granada is the harder transport back to London. I'm OK with skipping it.

I have done Cordoba before, it's been years so I feel ok with one night there. I am thinking of one night in Toledo. Maybe three nights Madrid, one Toledo and then on to Cordoba.

Of course until I actually start buying plane and train tickets EVERYTHING is subject to change
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Recommend the so called Roman Cordoba a few hundred meters North of the mezquita and the major tourist attractions. Much more local atmosphere up here, and fine and affordable tabernas on almost every corner. Friends and families and good vibes long into the small hours in the week-ends in Plaza de las Tendillas and Plaza de la Corredera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfGdpF55Uk