Italy Travel w/ Toddler!!!

Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Travel w/ Toddler!!!

Hi,

I'm planning an 8-9 day trip with my toddler. We definitely can take on "all of Italy" because of the long commutes to different cities and not a long stay.

Currently I'm trying to figure out flights but based on the activities I want to do first. (We come the beginning of the 3rd week of October 15/16)

I want to do the Amalfi coast first in hopes of still acquiring some warm weather!!! Rather than leaving it for the end!! Take a day tour to Capri etc........ My question is do I stay in Sorrento or in Amalfi??? Is there more to do in Sorrento? More shops? Eateries? Is the beaches closer in one vs the other?? I pre-booked a hotel for both but can't really tell based on reviews and also very uncertain.

Also just one other piece of assistance. Please let me know of this itinerary seems ideal.

Sorrento 
Amalfi Coast & Capri - 1st full day there!!
Naples (Pompeii)
Sorrento to Rome

I haven't allocated days yet, BUT I was wondering if it made sense to go to say Florence or Venice after Sorrento and then Rome (and fly out of Rome). Is it too off the beaten path??? Is there enough there to do for a day or 2 thus making the commute worth it?? We will not be driving unless hiring someone just as an FYI.

I appreciate your time in reading and responding (if you do).
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Are you thinking long, beautiful, sandy beaches like Florida, SC, the Caribbean? They do not exist on the Amalfi Coast. There are a few, very, very small sandy beaches, but most are pebbles (need water shoes to walk on them or thick pad to sit) or the beaches are really large rocks with platforms for sitting and diving. There are beautiful harbors and bays, but the Amalfi Coast is about the scenery, boating, relaxing, swimming in the sea, etc. not laying or walking on a beach.

The AC is not a great place for visiting with a toddler. Of course people live there with toddlers, but they are not walking and touring all day and they have their own stuff for the child.

Pompeii. You can't use a stroller. A toddler can't navigate the stones. So, unless your child is small enough to carry for a couple of hours in a back pack and you feel very sure footed, it is No to Pompeii.

Capri has some of the same issues. Not good for touring with a toddler.

I do not recommend it at all, but
If you do go to the AC, you don't have time to go up to Venice and back to Rome.
Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast. It is on the Bay of Naples and is still beautiful. It has many, many more shops and restaurants than Positano or Amalfi.

By the end of October, it may be beautiful or you may have some rain and slightly chilly days. Prepare for both.

What you have time for, and what makes sense with a toddler, is a visit to Rome and Florence, with some day trips by train or bus to nearby places of interests. You can plan the day trips, but not do them if it is rainy or your child is tired. Bring a foldable stroller that works with cobblestones. Rent an apartment so you can return if your child needs some nap time. Look for parks and play areas. It is very late in planning for a trip with a toddler. Keep it simple and straight forward! No convoluted combinations of travel. You can have a lovely trip if you accept the fact that a toddler makes it a different trip than it would be for adults.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 01:48 PM

I traveled with my kids when they were that young and no way would I try to do as much as you are trying to do. If I were you I would find one place and just stay there the whole time using it as a homebase. For example, rent an apartment in Sorrento and visit the Amalfi coast, day trip to Pompeii, just hang out, etc. Or stay in Rome the whole time. Something like that.

We have two trip reports on Italy with kids you can look at to get an idea of how our days went. In the first one, one of my kids was a toddler. The second trip they were older so it wouldn't apply as much, but we did go to Sorrento and you can see where we stayed and if it might work for you.

https://rovingrichards.com/travel/italy-2004/
https://rovingrichards.com/travel/italy-2014/
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

@MONICARICHARDS Well yes, Almafi and Pompeii are day tours because its close and accessible from Sorrento. I definitely wouldn't need an entire week in one area if I did day tours. Kids get bored easily.

I was just asking where I should stay, ie; set up shop. At first it appeared like Amalfi was a good spot to commute but then I saw the vast options of Sorrent and thought that would be best but wanted some advice. (And so yes, that is what I will do)

I enjoyed your travel blog and pictures very much
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

@Sassafrass Hi, I never mentioned lounging on the beach. I did say that Amalfi/Capri was a day tour. (I will do a boat tour) I think AC is totally a great place to visit with a toddler. (Didn't say a baby) Great exploration and sensory activity for a toddler.

"Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast. It is on the Bay of Naples and is still beautiful. It has many, many more shops and restaurants than Positano or Amalfi." ...... This is what I was looking for, as it appeared that way but I needed solidification in order to know where to set up shop.

And yes, I am aware that traveling with a toddler is VERY different than with an adult. But this isn't her first rodeo. Her big city travels have been Tokyo and 6 months ago to Dubai. She's 2 and a half so walking isn't an issue.

I have a hotel reserved but I will look into an apartment rental in Sorrento. Do you have an site suggestions?
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 10:46 PM

I wasn't thinking of lounging either when you asked which place was closer to a beach. I just wanted to make sure your expectations were not of nice sand beaches for walking or for your little one to play.

There are beautiful harbors though, and marinas with boats that your little one will find exciting. In Sorrento, if you get there early enough, you may see fisherman bringing in their catch of the day, and some are absolutely huge. Once I saw them bringing them up with a pulley and several men needed to lift them from the boat.
In Sorrento, I have stayed only in hotels up on Via Capo, because they have great views and I wanted a pool. Others can give good advice on an apartment.

I do want to be clear. I like Sorrento and think it is pretty, especially the views from above the town and the marinas. It is easy to go to Pompeii by train from Sorrento. It has a busy little center with shops. However, many find it too touristy and by contrast, Positano is absolutely stunning, especially viewed from the water. It looks like a huge wedding cake. I would not want you to stay in Sorrento based on anything I said, and then be disappointed that you had not stayed in Positano.

There are steps up to Amalfi, but the center is flat, so easy walking there.

I was thinking toddler as very early walking, but your child is at the end of that stage.

A lot of travelers on Fodors have/do travel with children, so not many say not to do it. We don't know the poster's experience unless they say, so sometimes give advice they may/may not already know. I lived in Europe for awhile when mine were young, and like MonicaRichards, we spent time in playgrounds or parks, or a lake, part of nearly every day while traveling. It is all in the planning and sounds as if you have a good handle on it. Your daughter is lucky to have a Mommy who includes her in travel adventures!
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 03:06 AM

If your heart is set on Sorrento/Amalfi and Rome, then go with that. Where will you fly into? It will take you the best part of the day to travel between Amalfi and Rome. In my opinion, I would not add a third location, and especially would not visit Florence (one city would be enough). You could consider Tivoli Gardens as a day trip from Rome if you wanted to add something in.