Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy travel question...HELP! Concerns for traveling daughter.

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have posted before. My 23 YO daughter is just finishing a long trip to Europe that started and will end in Rome. She is travelling with another girl, and her brother and husband. They are due to take a flight out tomorrow morning at 8 am on British Airways.

Here is my question; I haven't heard from them since Saturday in Interlocken. I know they went to Lake Maggiore, Italy for a day or two. They are supposed to be spending the last two nights in Lesa Italy, but not sure if they stuck with that plan. They fly out of Rome on the 11th. Haven't heard a word from them on FB, email or phone. Should I be worried Fodor friends? Is there limited internet access in these areas? Or maybe they are just so busy they don't have time?

My concerns are that they have missed a train or gotten stuck or, well, I am a mother you know. Am I worrying for nada? By my calculations it is 7 pm in Rome and they should be settled in somewhere and getting ready for morning flight.

What say you? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM

It's only Tuesday, and it's only been 3 days since you heard from them. Maybe their hotel didn't have internet service. They'll certainly be able to find an internet cafe in Rome, so you'll probably hear from her tomorrow. When I was traveling in Europe after my sophomore year in college, I only spoke to my parents twice in 8 weeks and wrote 3 or 4 letters and postcards.

But I'm no mother, and I don't know your daughter, so it's hard for me to say whether this is something to be worried about. I wouldn't worry about not hearing from someone who was on vacation for 3 days.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I know what you are saying. I think because it is at the end of a five week trip and we have been hearing from them every couple of days. We don't even know who is picking them up at LAX or if they made some arrangements. Just want to know that they are OK and on schedule.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM

I was in Rome, Como and then Interlaken and Zurich last week and internet is very hit and miss mostly in Italy. There are few internet places and if they are in a busy schedule it may be difficult for them to stop what they are doing to find connection to contact you.

Do you have the places where they were supposed to stay? If you do I would call and find out if they showed/stayed there and so on.
Yes, it's 7:25 in Rome I would call any of the numbers you have for them. I understand you could be worried as my oldest is 21 and if you were counting on her calling before the flight, but it's a little early to panic.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sure they are fine. They are probably just busy and in transit.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM

A group of four adults travelling In Italy is not a high risk scenario. I'd not worry.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM

I would be less worried since she is with a group.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I say, if they can get themselves around Europe safely for 5 weeks, they can figure out how to get home from LAX! Seriously heavens, you've over thinking (worrying) this one.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM

When my son travels I find that I get anxious and excited when he is due to come home (arrival details, did you remember to pack your charger, etc.). He, on the other hand, is busy squeezing in all the last minutes trip fun, packing and such. I also find that his girlfriend will have heard from him when his parents haven't.
If something that they could not handle went wrong you would have heard.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM

My wife and I were in Rome this past spring. Not a lot of free WiFi floating about Rome (and I would imagine much of Italy) like in the US or Paris, nor many internet cafes in Rome.

];')
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is no one carrying a cell phone? Have you tried to call them?
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

No Jean, no cell. They couldn't get them to work. Yes, Suze, you are right, they have gotten this far.

Here is the update and not too sure that I feel better. She did call to say that they are OK and on schedule. No internet and that is why we haven't heard from them. They called from a train station, not sure where, darling husband didn't ask (kind of like when they go to the doctor, argh, the questions they don't ask...). So, the kicker is their plan is to spend the night in Rome airport to save money and be ready for their early morning flight. OMG!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM

We left my 15 year old at a summer program in Boston 2 years ago. He is very smart and very capable. I vowed I wouldn't call. He didn't call that night. He didn't call the next day. I finally called him and asked if he was okay. He responded like a wordy 15 year old and said "yes". My mind went to the mother scary place and it occurred to me that anyone could have taken his phone and responded yes and in the meantime done him harm. I needed to come up with a plan. I texted him and posed the question that he would know but not a crazed killer "What is my middle name?" He responded immediately - - "Possibly extremely paranoid?" I knew right then that he had his phone, was okay and calling was not on his agenda. We are moms and we worry. We will always worry. They will always be our children. Please post when they have gotten on the plane. We would not want to stay in the airport overnight, but think about it. They are right there and ready to go. They will be together and there is food. Have a glass of wine and let us know when they are heading back..
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
sap

>>My mind went to the mother scary place<<

Ha, MOT - So true! I can't tell you how many times my mind has dashed there, all while the rest of my brain is telling me to stop being illogical. (I've raised three teens and have one still comin' round that corner, gawd help me.) I thought being a mom of little ones was the height of paranoia until I went through those last three years of high school with each. The worst times are those dark minutes before your hear the doorknob turn, watching the clock creep past curfew, squinting for headlights and afraid the police will call instead. You'd think cell phones would solve the problem, but the battery is somehow always dead.

I've at least mellowed (or numbed) enough now that it takes over a week of not hearing from the college kids before I go into panic mode. I think they can sense when I'm getting near the edge and usually make contact in the nick of time to avoid the chewing out!

But Heavens, if your DD is 23, with her husband and you've heard from them now, take a deep breath and go have that glass of wine.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I am enjoying a glass of wine. I will be so happy when they get home.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM

I started going to Europe when I was 19 - with a boyfriend, and numerous times after that with a friend, brother or beau. Before the days of email I would call to say I had landed. All communication past that (for up to 6 weeks) was postcards. When I travel now I keep in closer touch since parents were/are old and ill. But until they were I was incommunicado for the length of the trip.(I did leave a list of hotels I would probably be at - in case they had an emergency. They never called.

These are 4 mature adults. I can't believe you are worried that they haven;t checked in with you for a couple of days. Do you think they've been stolen by gypsies? If they were murdered the American embassy would have notified you by now. I think you seriously need to cut the apron strings. (If I had felt I had to keep checking in with my mom it would have ruined half the fun of the trips.)
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I see your point. Here is the worry; that they wouldn't make it back to Rome in time for the flight and if that did happen, it would cost a fortune for these guys to reschedule. Even though they are in their 20's, they are not experiences travellers. There have been many mistakes along the way, but overall they have done well.

Our neighbor's son just got back from three months backpacking/hostel trip to Europe, travelling alone most of the time. On his last day in London, he left his "travel bag" on the bus with all of his important papers, passport, ticket in it. He had to spend the entire day at the Consulate so that he could replace these and be able to board his return flight.

As I said above, a one minute phone call has eased our minds and the glass of wine is doing wonders...
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Frankly if I were 23 I'd be dodging my mother And enjoying my trip. She is an adult. She misses a flight, that's their problem to solve not yours. Let her live and learn.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes mam; er, or sir...
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM

The Rome airport is an fine place for them to spend the last night. Why not? People sleep in airports all the time. There's even a website for it:
www.sleepinginairports.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -