COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy travel - how to NOT stand on line while visiting Rome, Florence, Venice

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:11 AM
newt

Novice travler to Rome, Florence, and Venice for the first time. We intend to visit all the major sites over 3-4 days while staying in each city. I've read about venice card, vaporetto pass, etc. What passes do you globe trotters recommend getting for each city. Also how and where to purchase them? Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Rex

No passes or cards that I know but you SHOULD get reservations for the Uffizi and the Accademia in Florence, and the Borghese galleries in Rome (only way you can see those).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:25 AM
newt

Thanks Rex.

Would you use booking services (found some on-line) to get the reservations or would calling these places suffice? Are there passes that will permit admission into other museums / sites that would be worth getting to save time in these 3 cities?

Thanks and I've enjoyed reading your posts on this site.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:26 AM
dean

For Rome try Romeguide.it for reservations to not only the Borghese but also for Domus Aurea and other places. Great info and service.

In Florence be sure to go to the Brancacci chapel for the Masaccio, Masolino and lippi freschi. See my 10 things to do in Florence off the beaten path as well. In florence all the attractions are less crowded after 4:30 or 5pm and at lunch time 12:30 to 2:00pm

In Venice compare what you spend on a 3 day pass to individual tickets for the Vaporetti. also remember to use the Traghetti as often as possible. Have plenty of coinage (about .70 Euro a trip and stand facing the boarding area not the canal, finally keep your knees flexed or you might fall overbaord!

Also in Venice be sure to go to Do Mori and Achiuguette for wine and Chiccetti (snacks) and go to the Guggenheim for early modern art. Also Nico and Paolin for gelato.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Newt
Have a look at this page - I hope it is of some help to you:
http://www.italywithus.com/main_page...vorites_a.html

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Karen

For reservations to the Uffizzi and the Accademia in Florence, try www.weekendafirenze.com. I used them last summer and it was great!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Rex

Curious what was the price from weekendafirenze.com - - others reportedly recently - - a booking fee that doubled (nearly, or was it even more) the price of entrance!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:36 AM
chris

is there a website that you can make reservations for the Guggenheim in Venice?
Also, has anyone had any positive or negative experiences making reservations through www.romeguide.it
??
Thanks.