Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy transportation questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-transportation-questions-335120/)

marmot Jul 8th, 2003 09:32 PM

Italy transportation questions

1. What is the best way to get from Positano to Florence? Seems to be train through Naples, but I'm open to suggestions.
2. I need to get from Florence to Rome for 12:35 p.m. flight. I can fly, train or get someone to drive me.
If by train, is arrival at Rome Termini station at 0915 enough time for 1235 flight?
How much would it cost for a car with driver Florence to Rome?

Cicerone Jul 9th, 2003 01:06 AM

I would take the train from Naples to Florence. You will see a lot of the country this way. It will take longer than flying and about the same time as driving. If you have limited time, then fly; otherwise take the train. Its one of the pleasures of European travel, IMO.

I would fly between Florence and Rome, if your only purpose is to get to your flight out of Rome, and money is not a consideration. They may be able to check you in and put your baggage right onto your in'tl flight which would save a lot of time. Flying is definitely easier than taking the train to Rome and switching to the airport express. However, it may be just as convenient to hire a driver; can't give you a quote, but I have used Positano Car Service for travel within Rome and to Amalfi, and they could probably also arrange transport from Florence. Send them an e-mail at [email protected] for a quote.

If you are travelling in August or September and your flight from Rome is to the US, leave plenty of time (at least 2 hours) to check-in and get through all the various security checkpoints at the airport. These months are very heavy travel months, and security is very tight. This is another reason to fly from Florence, esp if you can check-in in Florence and check your bags all the way through. All you will then need to do is go through some security check points.

Alice_Twain Jul 9th, 2003 01:26 AM

I am not enterly sure that there are any flights betweeen Florence and ROme, the two cities are just too close one to the other and setting up a flisht between them seems just a big waste of money, since nearly noone would ever think of flying between them. Consider that Florene and Rome are just about 200 km of rather flattish land apart. And flying fropm Florence to Rome would not save you much hassle, since you still would have to get to the airport in Florence (which is not connecte to the city by a modern and comfortable train). The train from Florence arriving in termini at 9.15 seems good. From Termini you can take the train to the airport and be there at 10,30. IMHO this is the best solution.

Andre Jul 9th, 2003 03:29 AM

Marmot,

Actually, I'm almost certain that there are flights on Alitalia to Rome, but they are meant as feeders for their long hauls. If you're just changing planes in Rome, it does make sense to fly (check your luggage through, no train change at Termini etc.)

However, these flights are quite expensive and if they're not included in your transatlantic ticket, you're probably best off taking the train. Check
www.trenitalia.com for train connections from Florence through to Rome airport train station. You should get in to the airport station a little over 2hrs before departure, assuming you're flying transatlantic, a little less for short haul.

Never been to the Amalfi coast, so can't help you there.

Hope this helps,
Andre

bobthenavigator Jul 9th, 2003 04:25 AM

I would get a driver or bus to Salerno and train from there.

marmot Jul 10th, 2003 02:25 AM

Thanks for the tips, a couple more questions:
1. Is it out of the question to get a car/driver from Rome airport to Positano? How long would it take and how much?
2. How much would it cost for a car/driver from Florence to Rome?

ira Jul 10th, 2003 04:00 AM

Hi Marmot,

I have seen posts in which it was reported that a limo from Rome to Positano was about 400E.

It takes slightly less time than the trains, but often the driver stops and waits for you at Pompeii (extra charge).

Steve_James Jul 11th, 2003 12:50 AM

Marmot - Quotes for Rome-Positano vary from € 270.00 - 400.00 - so it pays to shop around.

I'd guess Florence-Rome would also be in the € 300 range.

Steve