Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy - Train Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-train-question-709998/)

travelerjeff4 Jun 2nd, 2007 04:15 PM

Italy - Train Question

I would like to travel via train to Rome on June 24th from Vernazza in Cinque Terre.

Two questions there - first: can I make a train that gets into La Spezia at 6:54 AM and catch the train that leaves at 7:02 AM (not knowing the station, I can't imagine it is that big, but want to make sure)? If so, when I try to book the 7:02 AM online at Trenitalia, I get a response that says, "The requested train is not reservable for chosen date." Does that mean it is sold out?

Greatly appreciate the help!

navgator Jun 3rd, 2007 12:44 AM

Trains on the CT line aren't necessarily on time, and would not recommend such a short time between connections.
how far are you trying to book ahead? you can only book seats 2 months in advance.

stefm Jun 3rd, 2007 02:51 AM

Most regional trains cannot be reserved at all. Probably that train from La Spezia to Genoa, via Cinque Terre, is one of them.

travelerjeff4 Jun 3rd, 2007 10:23 AM

I should have clarified. I am trying/hoping to catch the train from La Spezia to Rome at 7:02 AM on June 24th. The train is an ES (Eurostar) I would assume I could book ahead but it is not letting me.

Navagator - you think I could have a difficult time making the 7:02 out of La Spezia if the train getting into La Spezia arrives at 6:54? If I get a Flexi ticket I could always just catch the next train...

Thanks for the help and insight...

navgator Jun 4th, 2007 12:38 AM

No, not saying you will have a difficult time catching the next train, I'm saying you may be unlucky! I was in Cinque Terra in May and recall trains between the villages weren't always ontime. Just be aware that if you miss the La Spezia-Rome train, and you have a reservation, you will require the purchase of another reservation on the next train. If you are not reserving a seat , it shouldn't be a problem. La Spezia station, from what I recall has 6 or 8 lines. so may require transit between platforms,which does not take alot of time.
I just typed in tickets for the 7:02am train from La Spezia to Rome on the Trenitalia website for the 24th june 2007, and it is allowing me to purchase tickets. I did see someone on this site suggest purchasing tickets online in normal Italian business hours, maybe that will help?

travelerjeff4 Jun 4th, 2007 01:56 PM

Thanks Navgator - you are correct, it is working now - must have been non-biz hrs as you suggest.

If I buy the Flexi ticket and for some reason miss that train I can then just get on the next one correct?

Thank you for the help - greatly appreciated!

caroltis Jun 4th, 2007 02:03 PM

In May we took the train from Vernazza to LaSpezia and then on to Pisa. I would strongly suggest that you are cutting it too close to insure making your connection. Bob is right...you might get lucky but it's close.

travelerjeff4 Jun 4th, 2007 05:28 PM

Ok - I understand could be really close...

Therefore can you try and answer another question for me? Sorry, not trying to make this difficult. As I understand it the way it reads, with ticketless option I don't have to worry about getting the ticket stamped in the station or anything, I can simply get on the train. So, if I am cutting it close I will be saving time. On the Trenitalia site - I can book the 7:02. It offers the "Flexi" ticket option. If I book that ticket - IF, I should miss the 7:02 AM train, can I then simply get on the next train 7:59 AM? I am a little concerned b/c when I read the description for "Flexi" it is a tad confusing...

Again, not trying to be difficult - just want to make sure - plus I'd rather be on the earlier train than later, but also don't want to have to pay twice if i miss one...

Thank you for the help - I really appreciate it!

navgator Jun 5th, 2007 02:00 AM

Which statement from the website is confusing for?
I haven't tried using one ticket for another train and can only reiterate what you have probably already read on the trenitalia site as follows

Travelling on another train
This is allowed up until 24 hours after the train departure time provided customers validate their ticket and pay for any extra price for using different types of train or service.

The way this reads, it seams ticketless tickets would have to validated, not sure if you could do this at a machine with a printed email containing Ticketless ticket details on it , but assume the manned ticket office will be open at the time of your travel.

amy_zena Jun 5th, 2007 02:22 AM

No, I honestly don't think you can make it and I don't think Trenitalia thinks you can make it either. If you go to the Trenitalia website and type in Vernazza to Roma Termini, it doesn't even give this 7:02 a.m. train as an option possibly because there is not enough transfer time. One of the options it gives you is the following:

Vernazza - La Spezia Centrale
6:36 a.m. - 6:54 a.m. (Regional Train)

La Spezia Centrale - Roma Termini
7:59 a.m. - 12:14 p.m. (InterCity Plus Train)

I know you probably don't like the layover at the La Spezia station but...have a cappuccino and brioche and relax for a bit while waiting for the train to Rome. Chances are you won't have to wait that long...trains are very often not on time here in Italy, except for EuroStars...you can almost always count on Eurostars arriving and departing on time. So you're regional train from Vernazza will probably arrive just in time for the 7:59 a.m. train to Rome.

amy_zena Jun 5th, 2007 02:25 AM

"So you're regional train from Vernazza will probably arrive just in time for the 7:59 a.m. train to Rome."

Sorry, that should say:
"So YOUR regional train from Vernazza will probably arrive just in time for the 7:59 a.m. train to Rome."