Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Train pass - help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-train-pass-help-500467/)

italygirl Feb 2nd, 2005 04:20 AM

Italy Train pass - help

I need some feedback on how these passes work!

http://www.raileurope.com/us/special...promo_pass.htm

This promo pass appears to be a good deal for my hubby and I. We leave for Italy on Feb 11 and return on Feb 21. During that time, we'll be using the to travel Rome-Florence-Venice and a side trip to Pompeii, so this appears to be a good deal for us.

Question is, once I buy this pass, do I automatically have a reserved seat? How do I book the particular train time I want? And what does that line mean under Conditions that says "Passes must be pre-validated at the time of purchase."???

Can any knowledable train users help?

ira Feb 2nd, 2005 04:39 AM

Hi girl,

Before you buy a pass, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com. Click "only if it saves me money".

The winter promo fare is only $7 less than the usual Flexi Pass.

You will not have a reserved seat.

If you want a reservation you will pay about 3E for IC and IR trains.

If you want to travel on an ES* train, you will pay an additional 9E because seat reservations are required.

For all but the ES* trains you just get on the train.

"Pre validated" means that you take your pass to a train station to have it stamped and dated before getting on any train.

Your pass is good for the train from FCO to Rome. It is not good for the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Pompeii.

((I))

ira Feb 2nd, 2005 04:42 AM

PS,

Your train tickets will be less than $100 in 2 cl. The Pass is $168.

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2005 05:01 AM

Ira - Assuming she will need the return from Naples to Rome 2nd class Eurostar trips would be roughly 100E not $. Still cheaper than the pass.

Italygirl - Price your tickets on www.trenitalia.com. If you have any Saturday travel you might be able to find cheaper tickets. Buy your tickets when you get there or from Trenitalia online.

ira Feb 2nd, 2005 05:11 AM

Hi ky,

RT Naples/Rome 34E
Rome/Florence 22E
Florence/Venice 19E

75E = $97.50

Correct?

((I))

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2005 05:15 AM

Ira - RT Rome/Naples 44.42E
Rome/Florence 29.44E
Florence/Venice 26.60E = 100.46
Eurostar 2nd class

italygirl Feb 2nd, 2005 05:25 AM

Thanks ira and bourbon...

Another question for you - 2nd Class Eurostar vs 1st Class. What's the difference and is it worth going 1st?

rex Feb 2nd, 2005 05:33 AM

First class has seats that are somewhat wider and plusher. Second class has more families, students and the budget-conscious - - you could find that you enjoy talking with people in either first or second class. "Worth it?" - - is the difference in the fares the same as you make in one extra hour in your employment "back home"? or 20? Only you know what something is worth. Do you choose $60 seats at the theatre? or $30?

Best wishes,

Rex

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2005 05:37 AM

All of your trips are short and 2nd cl should be fine. Rome/Naples 1:45 Rome/Florence 1:30 Florence/Venice 2:30. The prices on Trenitalia for Eurostar include your seat reservation.

ira Feb 2nd, 2005 05:43 AM

Hi KY,

Sorry. I didn't read carefully. My prices are on the IC and IC+.

IT,

I agree, 2 class for these trips is perfectly OK.

kfusto Feb 2nd, 2005 05:57 AM

Just back and used a Selectpass. The supplement for Eurostar was 12 per person per trip. We also changed tiks twice (late trains) and once were charged nothing and the second were charged 6pp. The clerk at the Sporto Veloce (fast) window in Florence told us we did not need a reservation for a Eurostar train and I argued with him for 10 minutes before giving up as our train was pulling in. I went to the folks they now have assisting visitors and they told me to go to Customer Service. The line was so long I would have missed the train so we got on and had problems as expected. The first conductor was not helpful but the senior conductor was when I explained what happened in my only decent Italian.

Do not listen if they tell you this. I knew better but had to make it to Rome so I could not take the time to deal with it then.

Also, always check your seats. I ask for seats together and in Milan last week was also running for another train and did not stop to look and she had put us in two separate coaches.

Write down the time of the train and the destination and hand it to the agent if you do not speak Italian. This works as well.

In general, I have found the agents to genreally be helpful but it pays to double check everything. Last year, we were given tickets with everything correct except the year! I did not even notice.

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2005 06:14 AM

Italygirl - Passes purchased through RAILEUROPE for ES trains do not include your seat reservations but ES tickets purchased in Italy or from Trenitalia DO INCULDE the seat reservation.

italygirl Feb 2nd, 2005 08:43 AM

this has been a great help all... thanks so much for your input! i'll be able to book my tickets with peace of mind today!

am 9 days away from first trip to Italy and could not be more excited. :)