Reload this Page >

Italy to Spain in 26 days???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Debbie Lee

My husband and I went to Italy for 26 days this past Autumn, and had the most wonderful time. The 'travel bug' has definitely bitten, and I am already planning our next trip, probably in the May of 2002. His relatives are in Rome, so that is our starting point. I would appreciate any comments on the itinery at this stage... <BR> <BR>Arrive Rome... 4 days <BR>Florence... 3 days <BR>Venice... 3 days <BR>Innsbruck... 2 days <BR>Lucerne... 2 days <BR>Paris... 3 days <BR>Lyon... 2 days <BR>Avignon... 2 days <BR>Barcelona... 2 days.. then overnight train to <BR>Madrid... 3 days...then fly home to Australia. <BR> <BR>We would travel on the Eurosaver (?) pass, for 8 days, with the point to points for Venice to Innsbruck, and Innsbruck to Lucerne. North of Italy on, is really for a taste of Western Europe, with thoughts of plans for an Eastern Europe (Vienna, Strassbourg, Budapest, Prague etc....) next time. I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this time to travel (month of May) especially to see Giverny out of Paris... the roses must be spectacular around then. We are aiming to do it on a budget, that's why the train, and visiting some of the main cities of interest. We had so much help with our last trip. I would appreciate any further help, as you are able... Many thanks...Debbie Lee...

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Debbie Lee

Sorry to top... I would really appreciate some thoughts on if this itinery is do-able.... I know there are quite a few stops, but is it enough for a taste of the places mentioned... Can anyone suggest a better way??? Thanks...

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:15 AM
Debbie Lee

Heelllooo... is anybody out there??? Can someone please help with any advice. I know it looks kind of busy, but it looked on paper to be fairly logical, but would love to hear from anyone who has spent time in any of these places north of Italy (Innsbrook, Lucerne, Avignon etc..) if you can get a nice taste of Europe, without it being too busy. They only seem to be a couple of hours by train apart in destination, so I'd imagine you would get the better part of the day... from lunch onwards... perhaps???? Please help....

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:48 AM
Rex

Debbie, <BR> <BR>I'm not sure if there is any particular reason your post hasn't attracted answers. Sure, it's do-able. not restful, perhaps - - but somewhere along the way, you'll just "crash" and get a "down" day or two, where it strikes your fancy. <BR> <BR>I think you have thought this through reasonably well, and a more specific answer on each destination could be an encyclopedic undertaking. <BR> <BR>You've already used the key word - - this is a TASTE of these places. Nothing wrong with that. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Lexma90

Debbie - I generally agree with Rex; it's agressive, but doable. I've only been to some of the places on your schedule, and generally travel by car, not train, but here's my pieces of advice: <BR> <BR>You mentioned you will be travelling by train, but if there's any way to fit in 1-2 days of car rental, then you could visit Tuscany, or travel around Provence outside of Avignon. That would give you a change of pace, give you a break from the city atmosphere, if you want one. <BR> <BR>Read up on what you want to do in Florence & Venice (including plenty of time for people-watching at outdoor cafes!); you may decide to shorten Venice by one day and add to Florence (though I love both cities and think Venice is like no other place in the world). <BR> <BR>I don't know much about Lucerne or Innsbruck, but if you're outdoors types at all, see if there's any way you can make it up into the Alps instead (my lack of knowledge about train travel is showing here). <BR> <BR>I've never been to Lyon either, but I would probably drop whatever is there for an extra day in Paris, particularly if you'll be spending a day in Giverny, or in Provence. <BR> <BR>You might find 2 days (which will probably actually be less than 2 days, if you include travel time) in Avignon itself to be more than enough time. I enjoyed Arles much more. Especially if you like ancient Roman history, you should really try to visit Arles. That's where the car suggestion fits in. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:05 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Buon giorno Debbie Lee, I will need more time to study it well and do not have time now. However, my initial ideas are to drop 2 destinations based on geographic factors and add one. I would drop Innsbruck and subsitute Lugano[and the Lakes] enroute to Luzern.<BR>I would also drop Lyon and add that time into either Avignon or Barcelona.<BR>Just me first thoughts---otherwise it looks like a great trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:38 AM
Lobo

Very doable. I have been to all these places except Lyon for just about the same time that you are planning. But why not drive some of the way.??? I did it both ways and by far the car was the more relaxing way. Just a suggestion. Check Autoeurope for rates. They are very reliable and the rate quoted is IT!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:43 AM
Debbie Lee

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your responses!!! The input from this board is invaluable in preparing a GREAT trip!! The reason I hadn't planned more time in Italy, is that we have just returned from a 26 day sojourn there, that was totally delightful! Rome, Florence and Venice were our absolute favourites, so that's why they're top of the list to return to. (I have just reread our trip report called 'Italia in l'autunno', for any interested parties... I thought it had disappeared into cyberspace weeks ago, but somehow managed to find it again!) <BR> <BR>The train travel through Italy was wonderful... very economical, easy to do, and we were usually conveniently located to our accomadation. Coming from Australia, it takes a very long time to fly there, and costs a heap of money! Double your American dollars!! Which is why the 'taste' of a few more places. <BR> <BR>I thought that Innsbruck was right at the snow? We only want to 'experience it'... not go skiing... perhaps a toboggan just for fun??? (Why do I have visions of legs in castes, etc??) Would Innsbruck not be a good place to stop off to see the snow? <BR> <BR>Lucerne, I thought was a pretty little city, situated on a lake... is this not a good idea? Is 'Luzern' the same as Lucerne? In Italy, we walked for 6-8 hours everyday, and just enjoyed the people, the buildings, the atmosphere... each place was quite different... that's the idea with our next trip... more so than visiting more museums, churches etc... maybe a few... but that's not the main enjoyment for us.. <BR> <BR>Avignon, I think, is in Provence? So, if I was to drop Lyon, and have an extra day or 2 in Avignon, I expect you could do a couple of day trips if necessary, further back into the south...yes? My main trip plan, I took from the Eurorail train guide, as that would be our main mode of travel... I certainly appreciate any comments... especially on the weather.... lots of comments on April being still quite cold, so May would be the start of the thaw, perhaps??? Thanks again....DLC... <BR> <BR>