Italy to Greece by Ferry?

Mar 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Italy to Greece by Ferry?

Can someone tell me how bearable the Italy to Greece ferry is? Seems like it is a long time. Doable for a family of four on a budget? Going on deck?

Ultimately I want to get to Santorini. Can I take a ferry from the port I reach in Greece or do i need to take a train to Athens/Pireaus?

Essentially I am trying to see if I can start in Venice on to Rome over to Bari ferry to Greece and on to Santorini then Mykonos and end in Athens. Open to more feasible options if known.

Grazi
Mar 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Once you reach Patras or Igoumenitsa from Italy you have to take a bus or train to Athens/Piraeus to catch a ferry to Santorini. Some of the ferry companies provide their own shuttle bus.

Expect the total trip from Rome to Santorini to take approximately 48 hours, perhaps more depending on how long it takes you to get from Rome to Bari and if you have to wait long for the next ferry, and also which ferry to Santorini you take from Athens to Santorini.

http://www.greekferries.gr
Mar 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I'm intending something similar in June, though coming from Sicily. I would prefer overland (train or bus) from Messina (Ferry) to Bari though I'm told this is difficult through Calabria and am advised to fly via Rome or Venice which kinda defeats the purpose for being there. Has anyone done this trip? Perhaps car hire would be a solution?
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - it is so easy to forgot how much time you will burn in the process.
Mar 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM

The better ferries from Italy to Greece are amongst the best in Europe - big, fast ships with restaurants, lounges, bars, sun decks with swimming pools, good cabins, etc. The cheapest is obviously the deck fare, and some people do that in summer, using sleeping bags at night.
www.superfast.com
www.minoan.gr
www.anek.gr
There are direct sailings from Venezia (by Minoan and ANEK), and Ancona (Superfast, Minoan and ANEK) as well as Bari.
Mar 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM

If possible, a cabin is far preferable to deck on an overnight ferry but obviously more expensive. A shorter ferry is available from Brindisi, and would probably be much better if you are going deck class as some of the sailings are in the day.
Mar 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM

We were in a similar situation a few years ago, trying to save money for a family of 4.

It turned out , after calculating train fare to get to Bari or Brindisi, the overnight ferry with a cabin, and then transportation or car rental to athens/piraeus, it was actually cheaper to FLY from Rome to Athens.

So that's what we did. We flew on Aegean (which is having a big sale right now) to Athens from Rome, toured the Peloponnese for a few days, then took an overnight ferry to Santorini from Athens.
The overnight ferry (outside cabin w/bathroom) for 4 from Athens to Santorini actually was cheaper than flying.
Have a great trip!
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:11 AM

I went from Italy to Montenegro, Bari - Bar and it isnt very long trip. From Italy to Greece? I think its a exciting journey. Its a my opinion, I likes a boats

www.corfelios.de/mitsegeln-segeln.html
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM

I've used the Superfast from Bari to Patras. I had an outside cabin which is similar to any cruise ship cabin. The amenities are listed on their website.
http://www.superfast.com/site/content.asp?sel=341&loc=2

I was traveling to Delphi, but since you are going to Santorini, I don't think this would be a good way to get there timewise.