Italy to Amsterdam?

Mar 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Italy to Amsterdam?

Hey guys,

A friend and I are planning a trip this summer, and are current plan is to spend some time in Italy, and then a few days in Amsterdam, and then back home. (We're going to Greece first). But I'm having some trouble figuring out the best (read: fairly inexpensive) way to get from Italy to Amsterdam. Do you guys have any reccomendations? We're students, so if there are any student deals that ya'll know of, that'd be great.

And I'd like to note that I'm saying "Italy" as opposed to a specific place in Italy because we're looking at the Trenitalia Pass Saver train pass, which would give us some freedom from where to leave within Italy, and we're pretty flexible, so we can work most of what we would need to into the schedule.

Thanks!
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Look at www.whichbudget.com but I know that Transavia.com has some air routes that would work for you. Transavia is the budget offshoot of KLM - nothing to worry about.
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'll look at transavia. I've looked at easyjet and ryanair, but they didn't really have anything convient.
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

just a suggestions...although doable you may lose time trying to cover so much distance. maybe you could save it for another trip and see more of italy since you are already there. or more of greece. just a thought.
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
ira

Hi S,

>I'm saying "Italy" as opposed to a specific place in Italy because we're looking at the Trenitalia Pass Saver train pass, .....

Which is probably going to be the most expensive way. Trains in Italy are cheap and run frequently.

Enter your draft itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves money".

See www.trenitalia.com for schedules, prices and tickets.

Is there a particular reason for combining Amsterdam for a few days with Greece and Italy?

Mar 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, this more of the story.

First, my friend and I are spending two weeks at an archeological dig in greece, which looks like an awsome experience (both of us are very interested in history, although I'm not studying it... engineering for me! ). After that, we decided that since airfare will probably be the most expensive single component of the trip, once we're in Europe we might as well do other things.

Neither of us have that much interest in staying in Greece after the dig, mainly because of the language barrier / there's other stuff we'd rather see in Europe.

After talking, we both decided that we definity want to go to Italy. We have both been there before and we've seen many of the sites. (I was there last summer for 2 weeks in Venice, Florence, Rome, and the Sorrento Peninusla/Capri) We've seen alot of the major sites, so we don't nesecarily need to go back. But we love the food and the atmosphere so we want to go back.

So we're thinking of spending a few days there in Italy enjoying things we missed before (and the food). We'll probably spend most of our time in Florence, which was both of our favorites.

As for Amsterdam... well, we're two college guys, and we're partially drawn to it by reputation. And there's alot of great museums there. So we were thinking spending a couple of days there, as it's somewhere neither of us have been. Plus we can get relativly cheap airfare back home from there via Iceland.

Also, is there anyway to see what the fares are on the trenitalia site?
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

oh yeah, also, does anyone know any other good travel forums online?
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I think your reasons for going to A-dam are perfectly valid and I urge you to do it. Even though the Rijksmusuem is (worth the visit alone IMO) undergoing renovation, more than 400 of the biggest works are still on view.

Getting there from Italy..by rail from Rome could take as long as 21 hours..you've already been told about www.whichbudget.com but also take a look at www.skyskanner.net and www.opodo.com If you book early enough you can sometimes get good fares from non-budget carriers.

Please remain aware of the checked luggage weight restrictions in place for most, if not all, intra-European flights.

As to other travel forums..some of the disaffected former Fodorites have found a home at the (IMO) less than ideally-formatted Travelers to Go site..but sometimes the lure of being both a big fish in a small pond and not being criticized for being pompous and imperious is just too much for some people to resist...frankly, you won't find any information that's any better than that found here.
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the reccomendation about the train. Just out of curiousity, has anyone traveled by train (and ferry?) from Athens into Italy? It doesn't look that expensive, but if it would take a long time, then that wouldn't be convient.
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Patras to Bari takes about 15.5 hours (that's using Superfast). here is a link for a page listing all the companies operating:

http://www.ferries.gr/
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM

An alternative might be a budget flight Athens-Rome on Aegean Air or Athens-Milan on Aegean or possibly EasyJet (that would be my recommendation but Milan might be too far north for you) www.easyjet.com/en
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

The Thorn Tree forum at Lonely Planet's website is excellent for budget travel and a younger crowd.

Amsterdam is pretty far out of your way just for a smoke -lol. And if you see language as a problem in Greece, why is Italy easier? Although since you've been there already, I guess you have an idea.

As above, I don't think a rail pass in Italy is the way to go for the itinerary you describe.
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM
ira

Hi S,

>...anyway to see what the fares are on the trenitalia site?<

Click the shopping cart.

Mar 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

ira: but I can't "add" a train ride to my shopping cart... am I doing it wrong? for example, I put in Milan to Florence on the main page, it gives me a bunch of trains to choose from. I then click on the number next to the train.... and it takes me to a page with more details about the train, but no price and no other thing to click.

suze: Both of us speak some Spanish, and we've been to Italy before... at the very least we're familar with the romance languages. Greek is entirley different.

Currenty the tenative iteniary looks something like this...

Newport News (PHF) to Athens (through Atlanta on Delta)
Athens to Milan via Easyjet
Milan to Florence via train
Forence to Pisa via train
Pisa to Amsterdam via Transavia
Amsterdam to Dulles via Icelandair

Mar 13th, 2006, 02:11 PM

makes sense (about languages), thanks.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Since you can only book trains on Trenitalia within 60 days you will have to pick a date in the next 60 days to be able to price the tickets. You will have to wait a few months to purchase but by picking an April date you will be able to see the prices.
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

ok, thanks, that works now. Do you know what the age limit for youth is? Is it 26 like the EURail rickets?
Mar 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
ira

Hi S,

Persons over 12 pay adult fare on Italian trains unless they buy a special card.

Verde Railplus card + Railplus
For young persons between 12 and 26 years of age. The railcard costs Euro 40.00 and is valid one year. The card entitles the holder to a 10% discount on the fare for the national service, including journeys made in sleeper and couchette carriages, and a 25% discount on the price of international tickets for routes covered by the companies taking part in the initiative.

Railplus railcard
It is valid 1 year and costs Euro 20.00 for young persons (under 26) and senior citizens (aged 60 and over) and Euro 45.00 for adults (from 26 to 59 years of age). The card entitles the holder to purchase international tickets of the participating railway networks with a 25% discount. It also allows the holder to benefit from the discounted "Card Price" fare on international trains at market prices "Allegro", "Riviera" and on Italy - Germany via Brennero trains.

Mar 14th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Re the flight on EasyJet..if you are going to do it, book it as soon as you can to get the lowest fares. I used them for a flight from Athens to Gatwick last year and the service was excellent. BUT please remain aware of their checked luggage weight restrictions and the fact that they issue boarding cards on a first-come first-served basis and they do close their flight check-ins exactly when they say they will..no exceptions and no refunds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO