Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy - The Cinque Terra (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-the-cinque-terra-26618/)

Marcie Jun 3rd, 1998 06:05 AM

Italy - The Cinque Terra

Interested in any comments about Italy and the Cinque Terra. I am planning a trip and stopping off there for a couple of days in July. Can you give me any tips on what not to miss, where to stay, where to eat etc? Any info appreciated, with thanks in advance. I am an Australian on my first trip to Europe.

Barb Jun 3rd, 1998 10:54 PM

It's been 7 years since I was in the Cinque Terre region but I still recall how beautiful it was. We took a train to the first village and walked the whole trail to the last village (part of the trail was rather ruined by a rock slide but we climbed over it). Very nice area. Had a picnic lunch at a scenic spot outside and took lots of photos. We didn't stay overnight there so can't comment on pensions. Only negative was the high amount of starving stray cats we encountered on the trail.

Richard Jun 4th, 1998 08:05 AM

We have done the hike twice, each time from Riomaggiore to Monterosso. The last time, about 5 years ago, we stayed at Hotel Spiaggio in Monterosso, took the train to Riomaggiore and hiked back. The hike will take you through Manorola, Corniglia and Vernazza, probably the most picturesque village. We stopped in Vernazza for picnic stuff and had our picnic about 45 minutes outside of Vernazza. Each village has a train station, so if you tire you can hop a train to continue. Wear good hiking shoes, most of the trail is nothing more than a burro path. The hike will take about 8-10 hours, allowing for stops. The trail is marked with blue and white blazes but can be difficult to find sometimes, out of Vernazza, e.g. We went in early Autumn each time and so the trail wasn't crowded, but I understand in Summer it can be very busy. Monterosso has a very nice beach and in late Sept., early Oct. the water was just fine for swimming. By the way, take a couple of liters of water on the trail.

ellen Jun 28th, 1998 05:46 PM

<BR>Hi. I saw your posting from a while back about the place you stayed in Monterosso (Cinque Terre) called Spagio I believe. Would you recommend it? How where your accomodations and how easy was it to get there as I am a single female traveler who will STRIVE to pack light but, you know. Can you recall your room rate and would you have their number? <BR>Also, how did you get to Cinque Terre area? <BR>I will be coming from Nice France and none of the books or rail guides really specify how to get to Monterosso. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Ellen

Abbie Jun 29th, 1998 01:07 PM

We were in Cinque Terre two weeks ago, stayed in Riomaggiorre and did the great hikes on the coast and into the vineyards. When we got into Riomaggiore we walked down the main street (there's only one), saw signs that advertised rooms for rent and ended up with a great private room with bath for about $40 a night for two people. I've heard it's even cheaper off season. Good luck!

Richard Jun 29th, 1998 01:45 PM

Ellen: In Monterosso, we stayed at La Spiaggia, phone 817567 and yes, we would recommend it, can't recall the rate, but I think about $60US for 2. <BR>We don't stay "fancy", prefering to be out and about. Train service originates in La Spezia for all 5 towns, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. Monterosso is a pretty small town, if you can't walk from the station to the hotel forget about hiking the trail. If you need more info let me know, I'll dig their card out of our archives. <BR>

Rich Jun 29th, 1998 07:20 PM

My wife and I just returned from a cruise that took us to acuple of spots along the Italian Rivera. At Portofino and Portovenere (near La Spezia) it is possible to take a series of small ferry boats that cruise along the coast and dock at each town of the Cinque Terre. We spent a day taking these boats, getting off at one town, hiking to the next, etc. The area is most beautiful from the sea, and this enables you to cover much more territory if your time is limited.