Italy + Switzerland Summer Trip Help

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy + Switzerland Summer Trip Help

My husband and I are planning an early summer trip. I have never been to Switzerland and we are thinking of spending a few days in or near Interlaken. From Switzerland we want to go to a part of Italy we’ve never visited. Thinking a gorgeous island such as Sardinia or Corsica or Puglia or possibly Bellagio but completely open to ideas. Love pretty, charming scenery, towns on water, great food, shopping and warm local people. I realize some of these areas may not be as easy to get to from Switzerland. We like walking but not mountain climbing or serious hiking. Thanking you in advance!
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 05:12 PM

You have posted this question on the Caribbean Forum. You should either ask the moderators to move the post to the European Forum or just repost the question there.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank You! I thought I selected Europe
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 09:54 PM
kja

I encourage you to tell us more about when you would go than "early summer"-- parts of Switzerland are better than others at that time of year. I would also encourage you to give us some idea of how long you would have on the ground for this grip.

I'm not fond of Interlaken itself. If you want to see the Bernese Oberland, I would encourage you to think about Wengen. Again, timing matters -- I would NOT recommend that area in May (although it isn't impossible); late June or later would probably be better than early June.

The easiest part of Italy to pair with Switzerland would be the lakes.

If you haven't already seen it, you might get some ideas from my now rather old trip report:
My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Wow. So many choices. And, don’t be afraid to travel between distant places within Europe. There are lots of inexpensive flight options.

You mentioned many possibilities, and you should spend some time looking at the many websites available to see images and suggested itineraries for the various places. I am sure you would enjoy all the places you mention. You may want to pick a destination simply on the ease of getting there from another chosen destination.

A good first start might be to read some trip reports on this site.

We travel hard, and last fall saw a bit of Switzerland from magnificent Wengen, and thanks to fabulous weather, we had one day that was as good as any we have ever had. Trains, cable cars, funiculars, walking made for an interesting, fun, spectacular and memorable day.

Here is our trip report that included castles in Germany, Munich, Salzburg and Sound of Music, and breathtaking Lake Hallstatt.
3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!

Getting from Switzerland to Sardinia, Puglia or northern Italian lakes can be easy and sometimes cheap. We use skyscanner.com as our main source of European travel. You can enter simply Switzerland in the “From” bar and perhaps Everywhere, or Italy or Puglia (it will make suggestions) or Sardinia (it will make suggestions) in the “To” bar. We saw really cheap Easy Jet flights from Basel Switzerland to Cagliari Sardinia, for example.

Last fall, we also had a fabulous driving tour of virtually every area of Sardinia and highly recommend it. We felt like the only Americans there and were overwhelmed with its size, coastline, mountains and unspoiled beauty. Here is that trip report:

Sardinia! You Gotta Go!! 8 nights. October

In 2017, we were in the northern Italian lakes, and stayed in Varenna, with day trips to Bellagio. Here is the portion of the trip report for Lake Como. Trip Report: Part 1 Northern Italian Lakes & Cities (12 days October)

And a couple years ago, we had a fabulous week in Puglia (and we also recommend an additional couple days in nearby Matera, maybe our favorite place in Italy (part of Basilicata). Here is our trip report on Puglia, another place with fewer international tourists.
7 days/6 nights in Puglia
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 06:47 AM

For scenery, I don't think you can beat Sardegna. It's a big island, so you'd need to decide where exactly you want to go, especially if you'll only be there for a short time and want to stay more or less in one place.

Bellagio is not an island, but it's on the tip of a peninsula. I prefer nearby Varenna, which is a bit easier to get to and is also a bit less touristy. In Bellagio, you'll find more English speakers than Italian speakers. (A waitress there asked my husband and me if we could please speak English!) If you want to spend more than a few days in your Italian destination, I would choose Sardegna rather than Bellagio, because there's a lot more to see and do there. Another consideration is that on Lake Como (where Bellagio and Varenna are located) you really wouldn't need to rent a car, while in Sardegna, I would definitely want to rent one.

Corsica is in France, not Italy. It's just north of Sardegna; in fact, you can see one island from the other. The scenery seemed similar, but more wooded in the center. I saw more beautiful seacoast in Sardegna, but I didn't spend much time in Corsica.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 07:25 AM

I had an Italy switzerland trip last year. It was awesome. Definitely Interlaken. Should try to visit Jungfraujoch, Bernese oberland region.
Italy I would suggest the Tuscan area, Sienna, Florence,Venice and definitely Rome.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 09:34 AM

Trains are great - cars a hassle in Italian cities - many ban private vehicles from city centres. For lots on trains check www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.com- two competing rail systems using same tracks and stations - www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.