Madrid,Salamanca,Segovia

Old Mar 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid,Salamanca,Segovia

I am doing a tour of Spain with my wife. We start in Barcelona 5 days, the we go to Zaragoza 2 days, here comes the question. What is the best way to cover Salamanca and Segovia, do we go from Zaragoza to either? or come to Madrid ( Planing to spend 4 or 5 days there) and then Salamanca? happy to sleep in Salamanca if that makes sense.
Thank you very much !!!
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 12:51 PM

It's easier to reach both by rail from Madrid.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 02:11 PM
kja

For your transportation options, see rome2rio.com

Definitely consider sleeping in glorious Salamanca, which has a wealth of sites. I spent 2 full and VERY busy days there, and could easily have enjoyed more.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 02:16 PM

I would head directly to Madrid - enjoy your days there.

You can easily see Segovia as a day trip from Madrid by train, but for me it was well worth spending one night in order to go to La Granja, the summer palace, which is nearby. I think La Granja is more rewarding to visit than the Palace Real in Madrid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_..._San_Ildefonso

Another easy day trip from Madrid is Toledo. Plenty to see there.

In my opinion, Salamanca deserves two or three days - it's a beautiful city that is great for walking. The architecture and the history are impressive. Oldest university in Europe is there. Definitely plan on at least one overnight. The main plaza is stunning - in my opinion has much more beauty and character than Madrid's Plaza Mayor.

If you have a car, it's also worth a short stop in Avila along the way from Madrid to Salamanca.

Enjoy your travels in Spain!
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I think it is clear, Madrid first and then the rest...
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 07:50 AM

And yeah, sleep in Salamanca. It's too far from Madrid for an easy day trip (unlike Segovia, which is about 45 minutes - 35 by fast train, another 10 by bus from the station).
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 11:43 AM

There is a fast train to Salamanca a couples of times a day ..1:36 h
(for those who are interested in a day trip)
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 01:10 PM

My mistake - didn't realize the fast train now runs from Madrid to Salamanca.

Nice.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 01:44 PM

I'd still want at least one overnight in Salamanca. The evening is a special time - the golden buildings take on a soft glow as the sun retreats - it's really stunning.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!!
We will overnight in Salamanca as suggested, see Segovia on a day trip, and for sure visit Toledo.
Then we like to see the south of Spain, and we thought to start with, Cordoba at least overnight or two, then Granda? Seville? is Malaga a good stop? how about Gibraltar?
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
kja

You might want to post a separate thread with your FULL itinerary, as only people who have comments on Madrid, Salamanca, and / or Segovia are like to respond to this one. And if you do so, please link your threads, so people can see what advice you have /have not gotten already!

FWIW, I thought Toledo worth 2 full days, even though many people visit it as a day trip from Madrid.

If you look (please do!) you'll see LOTS of threads on how to distribute your time in Andalusia and, for that matter, through other parts of Spain. You would do well, IMO, to consult some guidebooks and some trip reports and some planning threads and then come back to us with more informed questions. JMO.

Spain is fascinating -- enjoy!
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

KJA
Thank you for your advice, I like Toledo 2 days and plan to add to Andalucia as well taking a day or two from Madrid
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 09:07 AM

If you need to cut a day or two, cut those from Zaragoza (if you're still planning to go there). Forget Gibraltar. Not worth the hassle of getting in AND out.
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input, much appreciated
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 07:41 AM

I agree with the previous posters that seeing Madrid first is more logical. I would do Segovia as a day trip from Madrid - remember, to get there by train you must go through Chamartin station, not Atocha. I also would spend a minimum of two nights in Salamanca. The train trip has been recently reduced to about 90 minutes. There is an excellent Walking Tour of the Old City that you can arrange through the TI on the Plaza Mayor.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

In terms of visiting Gibraltar, (Bedar) mentioned above that is not worth the hassle of getting in and out? why?
Truly skip it all together?
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 07:31 AM

Gib is always best seen from a distance, unless you like monkeys, long border checks (depending on how the Guardia feel that day) and little else of general interest.

From the LP: Welcome to Gibraltar - Red pillar boxes, fish-and-chip shops and creaky 1970s seaside hotels; Gibraltar – as British writer Laurie Lee once commented – is a piece of Portsmouth sliced off and towed 500 miles south. As with many colonial outposts, ‘the Rock’ overstates its Britishness, a bonus for pub-grub and afternoon-tea lovers, but a confusing double-take for modern Brits who thought their country had moved on since the days of Lord Nelson.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you !! I have my answer...
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:19 AM

No place is worth waiting for hours and hours and hours to get both in and out !!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Need some help again
Planning to spend time in Andalucia, and afterwards wanted to spend some time in Portugal starting with 3 days at the beach. Question one, which beach is best, I have now Faro or Albufeira
Question two, is what is the best way to go from Seville to say Faro?
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -