Bristol, England with a 4yo

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristol, England with a 4yo

I'm going to Bristol with my 4 year old for the Easter weekend - get there about lunchtime on Good Friday staying till late afternoon on Easter Monday, i haven't been to Bristol since i was a kid and only then as a break on the way to Cornwall so have no idea what there is to see apart from the Science Museum, the Zoo and the SS Great Britain. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Also how easy is it to get between Bristol and Bath on public transport?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM

This will depend on your day and time of travel. Normally, there are 4 buses an hour between Bristol and Bath, taking just under an hour. On Sundays and public holidays, there are two buses an hour.
There are normally 4 trains an hour between Bristol and Bath, taking 12-16 minutes.
There is no need to book for the train, and you cannot book for the bus.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

we're in Bristol for the easter weekend, would probably go to Bath on the Saturday as i can't imagine there'd be any public transport on Easter Sunday
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM

For the Bristol and Bath timetables, go to www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/, follow the link for timetables and look at the timetable for the 339. You will see that Sunday and Bank Holiday times are specifically listed. The only days on which services do not run are Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much, thats also helped with ideas on where to go, nice to know that buses still run on easter sunday in some places!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

plan now is
Friday: Arrive around midday, have lunch, go and see all places in Bristol related to Cary Grant (the main reason for going to Bristol)

Saturday: Visit the SS Great Britain, depending on how long that takes (and also the weather) visit either the Zoo or At Bristol

Sunday: Visit Bath or similar (haven't decided yet)

Monday: Either visit the Zoo or At Bristol and some sightseeing and then home

Is this doable or am i being overly ambitious? this'll be my first trip anywhere that we won't have taken the stroller although we've got trunki so a bit nervous!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds fine, except I might leave the zoo to a day by itself, especially when travelling with a 4 year old.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Off to Bristol tomorrow With the weather forecast for the weekend not looking so good is going to the zoo possible in the rain?
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM

Hi Fred and ginger,

you're being a bit picky about the weather aren't you? it's only april. I'd have thought that the zoo is one of the best places to go as there are things to see that are not dependant on its being permanently sunny. we trapsed around amsterdam zoo in the pouring rain and had a great time.

hope you have a blast!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

With the newspapers confidently announcing that England is warmer than Ibiza at the moment, the weather forecast was a little disapointing, although as you say its only April
I'm not particuarly bothered if it rains or not but my 4 year old might not be so keen on being out in the rain for long periods of time
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Had a wonderful time in Bristol!! itinery didn't go quite to plan, found that we spent longer in some places, and with the weather being so wonderful we spent more time outdoors than anticipated

Friday - Went to the Ss Great Britain, well worth the visit and free entry for the year when you purchase a ticket

Saturday - Went to Bath, took a boat trip on the Avon and visited the Jane Austen Centre

Sunday - Went to Bristol Zoo and the Clifton Suspension Bridge

Monday - Went to Millenium Square where statue of Cary Grant is, did a bit of shopping, then had a steam train ride along the docks!

Had a really relaxing weekend, looking at going back mid june as had such a good time!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM

hi fredandginger,

glad you had such a good time.

where did you stay? and restaurant recommendations?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

We stayed at the youth hostel, nice convenient location, right on the harbor front, less than 5 minutes from @Bristol and 15 minutes from the Ss Great Britain.
I'd looked at hotels but the prices for the easter weekend for a decent location were skyhigh and we got a family room so wasn't so bad, price was alright to

We went into the City Centre to eat, lots of different restaurants at The Mall, i let my 4 year old choose so couldn't recommend anywhere especially but there were plenty to choose from There were some nice looking places along the Harbour but we didnt eat in any of them :/
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM

good idea to stay at the youth hostel. other people have said that the premier inns can be a good deal too, if you can get in.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Trip obviously made a good impression on my 4 year old, she just turned down a trip to Disneyland Paris in favour of another trip to Bristol! she then pointed out that ifwe go before she turns 5 then she'll travel free on the train

Does £216 for 3 nights at Marriott sound like a good deal for Bristol anyone?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM

Are you staying at the Marriott City Centre or the Marriott Royal? The first is a more ordinary chain hotel, very convenient for shops, while the Royal is more expensive and next to the Cathedral and the waterfront area. For either hotel, the rate looks good, and if it is for the Royal it is a bargain.

When is your visit? If it is in the next few weeks, your daughter can look out for the painted gorillas which can be found all over the city, each in a different pattern and some in costume. They are to mark the 150th anniversary of Bristol Zoo. If it is the weekend of 13th August, that is the Bristol balloon festival, but there are special events most weekends in the summer. The art gallery currently has a Beryl Cook exhibition, while up the road at the RWA there is an exhibition of Jack Vettriano paintings which has caused some controversy in the local art world.

Just to show off, it was at the Marriott Royal that I once attended a meeting chaired by Princess Anne.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM

Does £216 for 3 nights at Marriott sound like a good deal for Bristol anyone?>>

well the going rate for a double room in even a middling B&B is £60-70 so £216 for central Bristol sounds like a pretty good deal.

glad to see Bristol getting good reviews here - it doesn't get mentioned much but is a great city.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Its for the City Centre not the Royal, although the Royal wasn't much more but had a real problem last time finding child friendly places to dine in the evening, so thought right in Cabot Circle would be better

We're going first weekend in September, hopefully the weather we're getting at the moment will be hanging around! We got spoilt at Easter
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:07 AM

DD just moved to Bristol, so I'm hoping to find out from her how it's changed in the last 30 years since i was a student there.

I don't remember the weather being particularly good but then i live in cornwall now so it probably would seem brilliant to me now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -