Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Italy: Should we order museum and train tickets before we go?

Italy: Should we order museum and train tickets before we go?

Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Italy: Should we order museum and train tickets before we go?

I'm wondering if tickets to the Museums of Florence and train tickets to Pompeii will sell out. I'm taking a group of students to Italy the first week in April. Should we order tickets to the Uffizi, San Marco and the Bargello (these are three we want to visit the most while in Florence) before we go? Also, a few of us are taking a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. Should we order tickets before we go? Any advice is appreciated - thanks again to all who have been helping with my many questions. JWH.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM

About trains, no but can:

2 trains an hour Rome-Naples

then local CircumVesuvian trains to Pompeii from Naples station - no reservations on this metro type link and you'll have to buy the Naples-Pompeii (Scavi station) at Naples at the CircumVesuviana station - reached by an underground passageway from naples Centrale where most trains from rome dump you.

Easy to buy tickets that include reservations once in Italy - can do at Rome Airport train station upon arrival or in the idiot-proof automatic ticket machines in Rome's Termini station - all in English and very easy to use with credit card. You get the necessary train reservation when purchasing the ticket or go to the window counter if machine won't work.

Or go to www.trenitalia.com and buy tickets in advance and be prepared to be totally frustrated as many posters here have been. But can possible get some online-onl discounted fares. but easy to get train info and fares - seems hard to actually getting the booking to work.

That said the Rome-Naples-Rome fares are cheap even at full price so i would just wait. So many trains no problem getting seats.

Naples-Pompeii CircumVesuviana train costs all of about 3 euros.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

I agree with PalenQ on the train question. On the Florence museum question I would DEFINITELY book the Uffizi tickets. You would have to stand in line about 2 hours if you don't prebook. With the reservations you can virtually waltz right into the Uffizi. I think you can prebook as a group but I'm not sure; we've only ever had 4 at time.
[email protected]
Mar 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
JWH

Thanks! Sounds like we should wait on train tickets but go ahead and get museum tickets. Fodorites you are the best!
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi J,

You are not going to see David at the Accademia in Florence?

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

The cheapest fares between Rome and Naples are the 2-4-1 on the AV trains. You will want to buy them in advance.

With a group of students, I think that I would want to have all of my tickets before arrival.

Mar 26th, 2007, 06:07 AM

YES, when traveling with students, you should do everything possible in advance. Lots of people don't book train ticket sin advacne because they don't want to be tied down to a particular schedule. But you need to follow a schedule with kids.
Mar 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I have booked our tickets for the Uffizi, Bargello and San Marco! Our Academia tickets are included in the tour package from ACIS (we can't miss David!) Only about six of us are going to Pompeii so we are waiting to book in Italy. Thanks again.

Search this Thread