Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy September Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-september-honeymoon-295569/)

cotes Mar 8th, 2003 06:34 AM

Italy September Honeymoon

<BR>Planning September Honeymoon for 13 days, starting in Taormina, Sicily (flying directly to Catania) for four nights at Hotel Belvedere. Does this hotel compare with San Domenico? Day trips to Syracuse, Mt. Etna, &amp; maybe Aeolian islands. Then flying to Venice for three nights at San Clemente Palace. Finishing in Rome for five nights at Hotel Russie. Thoughts/suggestions- Should Sicily stay in itinerary? Enought time in Venice? Looking for positive affirmation and comments.

uncle_sam Mar 8th, 2003 06:49 AM

Congratulations!<BR><BR>Venice brings out a love it or hate it kind of thing on this board. I didn't hate it, but I certainly wouldn't stay for more than a day.<BR><BR>I'd personally stay for a day and a night and then go to Florence on my way to Rome.<BR><BR>Florence is magnificent!!!<BR><BR>US

Isobel Mar 14th, 2003 03:09 AM

I cant say if Sicily should be in your trip because I havent been there - but I think it would be lovely. I have been to Venice for a week - still hope to go back some day. I just love Venice - so romantic. A great way of seeing the Grand Canal and to take in the atmosphere is to take a vaporetti (the local boat) and sail the whole length of the grand canal to the railway station, come off the boat and wander back to St Marks Square, or vice verssa. Also spent two weeks in Rome last year and found it a fascinating city. Your hotel choices in Rome and Venice seem fantastic. I couldnt afford them but the write up on these hotels is excellent. I am sure you will love Italy.<BR>I cant wait to go back. Have a great honeymoon. I think you have made a great choice!!!

Grinisa Mar 14th, 2003 05:22 AM

The Hotel Belvedere in Taormina is a good basic four star hotel but in no way does it compare to the gorgeous San Domenico Palace. But then again, it doesn't cost as much. I like your itinerary as it is-Sicily, Venice and Rome will give you a good variety of things to see and do. Haven't stayed at the San Clemente so I can't comment on that but the De Russie is a wonderful choice.

cotes Mar 14th, 2003 09:24 AM

<BR>Thanks. I'm going to stay for two nights at the San Domenico because a honeymoon only comes once (hopefully). Any advice on good restaurants in Taormia that aren't tourist traps? Daytrips from Taormina?

MFNYC Mar 14th, 2003 09:58 AM

It sounds like a great trip. 3 nights in Venice is fine.

Grinisa Mar 14th, 2003 01:01 PM

Good choice on the San Domenico. Most of the restaurants along the main street in Taormina are tourist traps, so if you want to find something else, get off that street and go either up or down on the little alleyways and staircases. We enjoyed Il Baccorelle which was set into a quiet little piazza near the Greek Theatre. The San Domenico has a wonderful restaurant where you can sit outside on the terrace overlooking the sea.

susanna Mar 14th, 2003 08:44 PM

A great <BR>restaurant in Taormina is...A Zammara..they have worderful fresh pastas..you can eat outside in a big lemon garden...it's great...We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere...it is a very nice hotel, but I think it is only a 3 star...we have stayed there a few times, the grounds are lovely, the common areas are nice and the hotel staff are extremely helpful...the rooms are very simple, not exactly what I would want for a special occasion. Syracusa is the best...Grand Hotel ??? on the island of Ortygia would make for a wonderful time too..

cotes Mar 19th, 2003 08:46 AM

<BR>Is Syracusa worth a day trip from Taormina if we are in Taormina for 3.5 days?