Italy roadtrip on summer

Search

Italy roadtrip on summer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy roadtrip on summer

Hi! I'm planning a roadtrip through Italy during July, of approximately 3 weeks with my girlfriend. We are 22 and 25 years old. We are very active, and enjoy trips which include both the typical, must-do/must-see things, and also the least common but amazing things hidden everywhere. So fast-paced trips are our thing! We are planning on renting a car and drive all the way round Italy, and need help on deciding the places we visit and the days that should be spent on each. We know of course Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany are a must, but how many days should be spent in each? what else is either a must or a hidden beauty in Italy? Thank you so much in advance!
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:45 AM

Cars are completely useless in most Italian cities -especially Rome, Florence and of course Venice - private vehicles being banned in city centers so you must park them at often remote lots at a high price.

I suggest you split your trip in two - taking trains between Rome, Florence and Venice and then renting a car to drive all around Italy visiting hill towns, nice rural areas, etc.

For lots on Italian trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.cm.

Maybe fly into Venice - take train to Florence

rent car for Tuscany and Umbria and go south and end up in Rome, returning the car when getting there.

Really cars and large cities make no sense - save on car rental charges by splitting the trip

OR staying on the periphery of those cities and taking public transit into towns.

If you were into camping bring a tent and then there are camps near all the famous cities with excellent transit into them. Camps are great -meet Europeans but few Americans.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

That's some very useful advice! Thank you so much!!
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:18 PM

This is what one needs to know re driving:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow! That's excellent RonZ! I'm looking at it right now, thank you!!!
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't include your girlfriend on the car rental agreement, or you will be charged a large fee for an "underage" driver.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 02:40 PM

I just read the very informative article about driving, and I have one question. What is meant by "dipped lights" during the daytime?