Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   italy restaurant Q- splitting the bill (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-restaurant-q-splitting-the-bill-394981/)

Jano3 Jul 14th, 2008 02:17 PM

italy restaurant Q- splitting the bill

My 3 friends and I love to eat out, and plan to do a good bit of this on our trip. HOWEVER, we all consume varying amounts (one is picky, one is piggish) and order quite differently and I would just rather pay for my own. What is the protocol on separate checks? do they do that? And how do we know anyway when we don't speak Italian? should we just grin and bear it, splitting all meals 4 ways and find something else to obsess about?

happytotravel Jul 14th, 2008 02:29 PM

Hi Jano3,
We just returned from Rome with a large group, it worked well for us, as long as everyone had cash to just pay for your own, but remember to add in the bread charge for each person.

LoveItaly Jul 14th, 2008 02:49 PM

I have never requested seperate checks at a restaurant in Italy Jano so I don't know if they will or not. If you don't speak Italian it could be a confusing problem even if they do. I would just have enough cash on me and advise everyone elso to have the same so you can all pay your own share including the bread/cover/service charge.

StCirq Jul 14th, 2008 03:34 PM

I wouldn't normally ask for a bill to be split 4 ways anywhere in the world - it's just a PITA for the server. And if you don't speak Italian, you could find yourself in an uncomfortable situation.

Just have enough cash to figure out the bill with your companions and divide it up so that you each pay for what you ordered.

zeppole Jul 14th, 2008 03:34 PM

How good is your Italian?

zeppole Jul 14th, 2008 03:38 PM

Even when you get the bill (some half hour after you've ased for it), it may not be itemized in terms you recognize. But the prices will be on the menu, so keep track in your own head of your own share of the bill as you order.

suze Jul 14th, 2008 03:58 PM

Easy!

Just have everyone travel with euros in hand (either get them ahead or have an ATM card to get once you arrive).

When the bill comes, divide it up fairly according to what each person ordered. Each person puts in their appropriate share in cash.

This is MUCH easier than bothering the restaurant for separate checks for an entire vacation in a country where you don't speak the language.

Therese Jul 14th, 2008 06:21 PM

Another option is to take turns paying the tab, assuming that it will even out in the end. No need to bother with splitting.

zeppole Jul 14th, 2008 06:35 PM

I'm not sure that works out in the end. Often, after 4 days in Italy, some people are so full they start skipping meals.

Also, if one person persistently never drinks wine, or never has dessert, they might feel a little abused about subsidizing the group on that score.

zeppole Jul 14th, 2008 06:36 PM

Oh -- one more reason it doesn't work. I wouldn't want to be paying group rates for a truffle fan.

Pendarb Jul 14th, 2008 11:24 PM

My three friends and I just returned from Italy, and we found that a small calculator was a worthwhile item to have. When the restaurant bill came we quickly split up our costs (since I don't drink wine and my friends do, it was definitely worth it) and paid in cash, or paid the one who was willing to put it on their credit card.

flanneruk Jul 14th, 2008 11:43 PM

I really don't think it IS possible to get separate bills.

Italian law requires the restaurant to issue a VAT invoice for every transaction: the transaction's the total order from the table. That invoice must be linked into an audit trail, which is subject to snap inspections by the Guardia di Finanza.

Items like wine, water, dishes for two and so on can't be further split down: if the table's bought a bottle, the bill has to describe a bottle - it's simply illegal to produce two bills, each showing half the price of a bottle.

You can sit at the table doing the calculation for yourselves (it's very rare to be shooed on). Or split four ways. Or divvy up betweeen yourselves later.

But you can't get round the Guardia di Finanza's rules.

ira Jul 15th, 2008 07:07 AM

Hi J,

It is soooooooo much easier to

A: One person pays the bill with a CC and the others pay him/her back later.

B: You calculate your costs and pay cash at the table.

Not all waiters will be accomodating, especially if the place is busy.

((I))

Lavradio Jul 15th, 2008 08:53 AM

Hey Jano3,

I agree with Ira... otherwise, just look at the bill and each pays for their own expense accordingly!...