Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Railpass vs. pt-to-pt tix? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-railpass-vs-pt-to-pt-tix-39560/)

pam Mar 8th, 1999 10:54 AM

Italy Railpass vs. pt-to-pt tix?

For self, husband & 10 yo son: Pros & Cons of point-to-point tix vs. 4-day flexipass? Is there anything, in your opinion, that outweighs the cost savings of buying indiv tix? <BR>

joy Mar 8th, 1999 02:50 PM

Hi!! I have a 3-day French railpass for our upcoming trip. This was $10/person cheaper than point-to point and gives me additional flexibility plus additional day.

Jeff Mar 8th, 1999 03:06 PM

Pam, <BR> <BR>An excellent question. I am going through the same process - having difficulty comparing the two. Trying to determine what the supplements are for both different train types (Eurostar, IC) and for reserved seats and which of these are already included in the flexipass price? If anyone knows, please advise.

pam Mar 10th, 1999 06:39 AM

thanks for your input. anyone else? <BR>

Colleen Mar 10th, 1999 06:53 AM

I'd go with the pass, if only for the <BR>"convenience factor." It can be time consuming and frustrating trying to buy individual tickets. With a pass, you check the schedule and hop on. My experience was that reservations weren't necessary, although recommended.

Walter Mar 10th, 1999 09:14 AM

<BR> You might want to look into the "Kilometre Pass"(?) this a single pass I've *heard* that is good for a family or small group to use. I posted (jan98) on rec.travel.europe and have read other posts since about the Flexipass none were positive. My Experience for the Eurostar *only*: In 98 the 1st class Flexipass was $215 US and to take the Eurostar you still had to stand in a ticket line to pay a supplement and get your reserved tickets. So I decided on pt to pt tickets. For four days travel 1st class Eurostar Venice-Florence, Florence-Naples, Naples-Rome, and Rome-Venice. Using '99 prices this trip costs $202. Cheaper than the '98 Flexipass without the supplements. BTW I practiced my ticket requests in Italian only to find the ticket agents spoke english:). Regards, Walter

pam Mar 10th, 1999 09:54 AM

Thanks, Colleen & Walter. The cost for our flexipasses is roughly double what the pt-to-pt tix would be, because we are making a small loop (Rome-Orvieto-Florence-Pisa-Rome) USD 540 vs USD 275 per fares on raileurope.com. I heard somewhere that the Kilometric ticket involves as much queuing as buying indiv tix, so nothing gained in that dept. Will investigate further! <BR>

Mike Mar 14th, 1999 09:26 AM

Just return form Italy- bought the 4 day rail pass. The train schedules are very confusing. The Euro rail train suplemental charge from Rome to Florence was about 48,000 lire. You need to arrive at the station early and make a reservation to ride the Eurostar. Be careful to board direct trains or you'll stop in every town along the way. The rail trip from Rome to Florence was 2hour the return was about five hours. Also train schedules are very limited on Sundays.