Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   italy rail-1st class vs.2nd ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-rail-1st-class-vs-2nd-110495/)

xxxx Mar 6th, 2001 06:04 PM

italy rail-1st class vs.2nd ???

I thought the difference between these is that you can only get a seat reservation on 1st class but I have just learned that you can get one on both. Rail Europe says the seats are smaller but is that it? It's almost double to go first class! If I will be travelling from Venice to Florence and then Florence to Naples (3-4 hours) is it worth it to splurge on 1st class? I have never been on one of these trains so I am clueless. Also, is it important to buy tickets in the US to be sure I get the train I want? We have a pretty strict itinerary. Thanks for your advice.

mara Mar 6th, 2001 06:21 PM

There is a big difference between first and second class. First class has better seats, it is more relaxing and depending on the time of day probably less crowded. Because you are not traveling that great a distance 2nd. class is fine. Save the money, but MAKE SURE YOU RESERVE A SEAT AHEAD OF TIME. Those trains can get crowded and trust me you do not want satanding room only. <BR>I have never bought tickets in the US, but you can also look in to buying a rail pass, either for all of europe or just for Italy, saves you money. <BR>Enjoy your trip

david Mar 6th, 2001 07:10 PM

took 2nd class from rome to florence to venice and back to rome. I dont know what 1st class has, but second class was perfect for us; seats are very comfortable; no problem whatsoever. we did travel on euro star which is THE way to go. Perhaps on the older locals 2nd class is problematic, but certainly not on the eurostar. We were there in prime tourist season , end of may and bought tickets day before travel and had no problem whatsoever. Go to any travel agency in any of the cities and buy the tickets and avoid waiting in line at the station.

Steve James Mar 7th, 2001 03:44 AM

I agree with David, - 2nd class is fine. <BR>I've never understood why people spend the extra on 1st. Besides, people-watching is so much more interesting in 2nd.. <BR> <BR>We've met some lovely travel companions in 2nd! On one memorable occasion we were invited to share a picnic with a Neapolitan family - and we 'discovered' sfogliatelle (- gorgeous Neapolitan pastries), and had a lot of laughs... <BR> <BR>On another occasion we got chatting to a lovely Italian lady who turned out to be an English teacher. The end result was a friendship which has lasted for 20 years, with numerous reciprocal holiday invitations... <BR> <BR>Just 2 examples from many! I don't think you have a chance of such 'human' contacts in 1st. Just my personal opinion... <BR> <BR> <BR>

Bob Mar 7th, 2001 11:09 PM

On the Eurostar and Intercity trains (which are the types of trains you will be taking based on your routes), first class has 2 seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other. In second class, it's either 2 seats on both sides of the aisle or closed compartments with three seats in a row with the aisle on the side of the car. First class has more seat and aisle room. Reserved seats are included in the price on Eurostar trains and cost a few dollars more on intercity trains (either first or second class) which is worth the extra price to make sure you have a seat. I've found that second class is fine when the train isn't crowded but less comfortable when it is but it can be hard trying to predict this. You can buy the tickets once you get there with no problem, just get them a day or two in advance (to insure availability) at the station or at most travel agencies (the price is the same).