Reload this Page >

Italy- Questions I can't find the answers to!I

Notices

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find the answers to some of my questions so hopefully you all can help:

1. I did find the Rolling Venice Card for kids over 14, but what about for my 11 year old?

2. Does the Roma Pass or transportation (BTI) pass offer any discounts for kids?

3. If our flight arrives in Venice at 8:30 pm, would it be better and/or cheaper to take the blue bus and then a vaparetto to the San Stae stop or take the Alilguna and then a vaparetto to our stop? We are a family of four with luggage (kids 15 and 11)?

4. If we have the transportation pass for 72 hrs, can we use it to go to the train station? This is in Venice.

5. When taking the ferrys/hydrofoil around the Amalfi Coast: ie, from Salerno to Amalfi, then to Capri and last to Sorrento- is one less prone to getting someone motion sickness?

6. Are there beaches in Amalfi or Capri that do not involve paying a fee?

7. Anyone know where I can wash my clothes in Amalfi? (Laundrymat)

8. Should I buy all of my train tickets for the 3 weeks once I arrive in Venice (our first stop)?
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM

4. Yes, you can use the Vaporetto pass to get to the train station in Venice.

8. If your itinerary is set then I would buy all the tickets at one time so you don't have to stop and spend more time standing in lines to buy more tickets. Remember to ask for a group rate since you have 4 people in your party.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM

I don't recall seeing any discounts for children on the Roma Pass and it's not an option in their online booking.

You can contact ATAC through their website to find out about BTI discounts. I would try one of the e-mails.
Contact us
Transport Info Helpline - 06.57.003
Information and services for public and private transport systems, timetables and routes for public transport systems, travel passes and tickets, permits (limited traffic areas, blue line areas, special badges for disabled persons), tourist bus plan, car-repair garage blue tickets, car sharing, traffic light and parking meter signs.

from Monday to Saturday (8:00 am - 8:00 pm). For Tourist Bus services, also Sundays and holidays.
fax +39.06.4695.2087
[email protected] (private transport services)
[email protected] (public transport services)
[email protected]
[email protected]

As for hydrofoils and ferries, you don't always have a choice of both. It depends on the port.

I would buy all tickets on arrival if you are sure of times you want to depart. You should qualify for the family discount on Trenitalia.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM

3. If our flight arrives in Venice at 8:30 pm, would it be better and/or cheaper to take the blue bus and then a vaparetto to the San Stae stop or take the Alilguna and then a vaparetto to our stop? We are a family of four with luggage (kids 15 and 11)?
For San Stae, taking the blue bus and a vaporetto will be faster than the Alilaguna. Verify Alilaguna and blue bus schedules.

4. If we have the transportation pass for 72 hrs, can we use it to go to the train station? it depends on how long you are staying and when you first use the pass. If you use it for when you are first going to the hotel (flight at 8:30pm), so perhaps you validate your pass before your first vaporetto ride at 9:15pm on Day 1, 72 hours is on Day 4 at 9:15pm.

8. Should I buy all of my train tickets for the 3 weeks once I arrive in Venice (our first stop)?
As adrienne said, if you know your schedule it's a fine idea to do so.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM

For #4- Sure, as long as it is within the 72 hours. If after, you will need to buy single tickets.

For #8 - That depends. If you buy reserved seats, then you are stuck with the time schedule even if you later want to change your plans. However, some routes on holidays and such may sell out early, particularly in high season, so in that case it can be comforting to have your ticket in advance. For unreserved seats, the difference is in the time you may spend at the station buying tickets on the day of the trip. In high season that could be considerable.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM

#1- Sorry, don't think there's a discount for the younger one; when we were there last June, the 14 year old got the discount, the 10 year old paid full price. Still worth it.

As for buying train tickets in advance, except in case of a holiday, with two kids, I wouldn't do it. We found that later in the trip, it was harder to get the kids moving in the morning; also, if suddenly something catches your interest and you want to take a later train, its easier to just buy when you are ready than to make a change. We never waited more than 5 minutes in a ticket line, and actually bought most tickets from the kiosks.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM

For #5 - If you're prone to seasickness, you'll have more trouble on the hydrofoils than on the ferries, especially in the Bay itself. If the sea is rough and you're on the aliscafi, try to sit as near the center as you can. I've seen the crew coming through the cabin handing out seasick bags - some people get sick just seeing that, the power of suggestion!
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM

#5 -- we all took bonine for the ferry trips around amalfi coast / capri. bonine doesn't make you drowsy. we didn't want to take chances.

#6 -- i think you might be happier to splurge for a pay beach. the chaise lounges are lovely to lie on (beaches are sort of rocky), and you can order lunch and they'll bring it right to your chair.
a very picturesque and pricy beach club on capri is la fontanella. it was way too expensive, but really a gorgeous experience, right next to the faraglioni rocks.

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Kybourbon- thanks for the links; I emailed them to see if they offer any discounts for the kids.

ellenm- thanks for the info about Venice. I think we will go with the blue line and then a vaparetto. Can we get our 72 hour pass somewhere upon arrival and use it to get to the apt after we get off the bus?

For all that replied about getting our train tickets all at once, thank you. I think I would like to get it out of the way but will definitely make sure that we have a really good idea of times (nothing too early)

julia1 and dina4- thanks for the tips about the ferrys. We will try to get the ferry over the hydrofoil (if we're less likely to get sick and it's cheaper) and will most definitely take Bonine beforehand.

dina4- I know you really loved your beach experience but also know that you mentioned that it was really expensive. Would you mind telling me "how" expensive? Or do you have any other beach (for pay) that you could recomend?

adrienne- sorry, almost forgot about you- Thanks for letting me know the pass will pay to get us to the train station.

How about laundry? We will have a washing machine in Venice and Rome, but not once we leave Rome. This still leaves us with almost a week and 1/2. I am going to try to pack less but that means we will have to do laundry more. Somewhere in Amalfi would be ideal as we will stay here for 5 days.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM

The Roma Pass includes a 3 day transportation pass. How long do you plan to be in Rome? Depending on where you are staying in Rome, you might not use transportation much.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Rome for six nights and are staying near the coliseum. We do tend to walk a lot but like having the transportation pass for when no one feels like walking anymore. Not having been to Italy, I just am not sure.

Laundry suggestions....anyone?

Guess we'll just have to hand wash the necessities during the last week!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM

I haven't actually washed my thing here but:

Lavanderia Amalfitana Di Cavaliere Matteo
Vicolo Masaniello, 14
84011 Amalfi (SA), Italy
089 871442?

WHen you are there ask around for a "Lavanderia" I'm sure there's more than one.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM

FYI - The city of Venice now has a new website to purchase all your tickets in one place (museums pass, transportation pass, bathroom pass, etc.). Rates are tied to time of travel - high season = higher rates - but they are still supposed to be a bit cheaper than buying at the entrance. There are several museums combos you can choose (lists a discount for children).
http://www.veniceconnected.com/node/295

The transportation portion does not list a discount for children.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

bellastar, thank you for coming through. Even if you haven't been there, it's nice to know that I can wash my clothes.

kybourbon, thanks to you also. You both have helped me answer so many of my questions. I did come across this site but wasn't too sure about it; I'll have to give it a much better look. As far as the kids so, it doesn't look to good for a discount for transportation but that's okay, we will make it all work!